GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Update: spoke with Jay at RDL they are going to cover the shipping of the seat, and a full recover and notate my file in case the back rest or passenger back rest does the same thing. We agreed I would send it in when the weather in SD cools down and they will get it turned around as soon as possible. I did get vague reasons why the hide was bad and none really made sense but as long as they are standing behind it I will go from there. Time will tell how this works out but at least we have a plan. I’m glad from the responses here this is probably just an anomaly.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Update: spoke with Jay at RDL they are going to cover the shipping of the seat, and a full recover and notate my file in case the back rest or passenger back rest does the same thing. We agreed I would send it in when the weather in SD cools down and they will get it turned around as soon as possible. I did get vague reasons why the hide was bad and none really made sense but as long as they are standing behind it I will go from there. Time will tell how this works out but at least we have a plan. I’m glad from the responses here this is probably just an anomaly.
Jay @ RDL has always been a great guy to deal with........very easy to work with if you have something out of the ordinary done to your seat. He often offers suggestions to help with getting what you desire.

Glad they are taking care of you......

·
Registered
311 Posts
For what it’s worth, I’ve had two, both in vinyl and never had that happen. I am sorry that this happened to you but glad it’s being resolved.

Reactions: Jhoss

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
DANG $$$$
I actually think its great value for how comfortable the seat is...I rode 3000 mile round trip from SD to FL and my but did not hurt at all and I just got back from a 2000 mile trip all over the Black Hills SD, WY and MT. If you ride a lot of long trips there is no better....but I must have got a 50 year old cow hide when they built this seat but they have committed to making it right.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
For what a new Goldwing costs you should not have to spend another $1800 to be able to ride the bike all day.
Agree 100%.....
But, what are you going to do, not purchase a Goldwing that brings a ton of enjoyment and satisfaction, because of a seat?
My BMW K1600 was the same discomfort on the stock seat........I'm waiting on my 3rd RDL for my new '22 trike.....should be here soon.

Somebody previously made the comment that they design the seat for a 150 lbs person, well you know what?
I'm 155 Lbs and it sucks for me.....1-hour and I'm hurting.
RDL I can ride all day every day with zero discomfort.

It is what it is.....

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
9,619 Posts
For what a new Goldwing costs you should not have to spend another $1800 to be able to ride the bike all day.
I've only bought 1 brand new motorcycle since 1978 that I didn't have to deal with the seat..some were worst then others but all of then needed a different seat....my 2018 was one of the worst seats I ever rode on...70 miles was all it was comfortable for...1800 dollars is on the high side for a seat and that number probably includes the passager back rest, the drivers backrest and shipping cost both ways...my RDL was more like 1100 and it was so worth it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
That peeling seat is not leather. It is Faux leather. Google the differences between leather.
RDL did not admit to my seat being the wrong material but gave a few excuses from an old cow to just a bad hide in the thousands they use. I asked if I need to send in the passenger backrest and the rider back rest but they said that was a different hide so it was not necessary. I know this is not what call real leather so I hope they make this right when I send the seat back to them in the fall. They said they made a note on my file in case the other part of the seat do the same thing.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just found this thread, and sorry for repeating what has already been said, but that is absolutely, positively, NOT LEATHER. That gray colored material is the backing on the vinyl, and it's showing because the vinyl has split and is peeling off.

I know Russell Cycle has promised to recover the seat at no cost to you, but if you paid for leather, I'd be damn sure you get leather when it's recovered.

Be sure to post when you get your new seat back.

Reactions: JF11

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
Somebody @ RDL simply made a boo-boo, stuff happens. But RDL has agreed to correct the boo-boo and that is good customer service pending the outcome satisfies the customer in the end.

Reactions: Roadie
41 - 60 of 76 Posts