GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My RDL dual seat came in today. It looks and feels great. I only got to ride 30 miles before it started raining. This is my third. I had one on a 83 wing over 20 years ago and one on my 05 VStrom a few years back. Now it’s time to ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No adjustment and vinyl. They retained factory heat and my backrest I had.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
For my money they are the best seats on the market. I have been riding on Russell Day-Long Saddles since the early 90's. I will soon have one on my 2018 Gold Wing

·
Registered
808 Posts
RDLs are simply the best. I’ve done a few thousand miles on my Goldwing RDL (this is the third bike I’ve had one on) and it’s so comfortable that it’s a bummer when the ride is over and I have to sit on my less comfortable couch instead!!

Reactions: laen

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have yet to put in any long miles, but I love mine as well. I have ridden 20 - 30 mile stretches commuting, and it is far superior to the stock seat for me. My stock seat is now downstairs in a box. Mine looks exactly the same (even same color bike), but mine is leather.

John

Reactions: laen

·
Registered
605 Posts
Ludem Jo, I thought you had to send in your OEM seat to get an RDL? How did you get a second OEM seat to have it in a box and have the RDL on the bike?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Same question here, since I am looking at a huge chunk of cheddar to get one on my F6b, do I have to ship my seat off to them or send them my seat after they send me a new one? Looking for how that program works. Want the half moon with backrest.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
wow..thats the best looking after market seat ive seen so far. does it sit you up higher? whats the difference between that and stock?

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
My RDL dual seat came in today. It looks and feels great. I only got to ride 30 miles before it started raining. This is my third. I had one on a 83 wing over 20 years ago and one on my 05 VStrom a few years back. Now it’s time to ride.
Looks nice, how about a picture with the backrest on? My seat and backrests are going out for a 1/30 build, I'm still deciding on a pattern.

·
Registered
19,260 Posts
I have the Wingsoft but most people including myself consider the RDL to be the best of the best

·
Registered
126 Posts
My build date is 1/21/2019, can't wait to break her once she has arrived.

·
Registered
336 Posts
So here's a subjective question for the OP. All RDL seats shorten the reach to the ground somewhat due primarily to their width. I've had lots of their seats and would like to put one on this bike but there's always that nagging question of height. Can you estimate how much reach you've lost with your new seat? Granted, it will compact a bit over time as the wings take a set but your impression at this point would be really helpful.

Thanks,
Marc

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Same question here, since I am looking at a huge chunk of cheddar to get one on my F6b, do I have to ship my seat off to them or send them my seat after they send me a new one? Looking for how that program works. Want the half moon with backrest.
You ship your seat to Russell and they construct the Day-Long on your seat pan.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Got mine back last week weather has been too bad for me to get it out. plan on riding today. It is higher I'am 6' used to set flat footed back against back rest, can't do that now, but it has not been used.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So here's a subjective question for the OP. All RDL seats shorten the reach to the ground somewhat due primarily to their width. I've had lots of their seats and would like to put one on this bike but there's always that nagging question of height. Can you estimate how much reach you've lost with your new seat? Granted, it will compact a bit over time as the wings take a set but your impression at this point would be really helpful.

Thanks,
Marc
I would say maybe 2 inches which is a lot for a short person like me (5'9"). However it is the worth the trade off. I find myself standing up closer to the gas tank. But I've just put a few miles on it. I have the rivco highway pegs and they fill better to me now.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I would say maybe 2 inches which is a lot for a short person like me (5'9"). However it is the worth the trade off. I find myself standing up closer to the gas tank. But I've just put a few miles on it. I have the rivco highway pegs and they fill better to me now.
That definitely is a lot of reach to lose. You'll probably regain from 1/2" to 3/4" once the side bolsters settle in. That's been my experience anyway. They also make what they call a Sport Seat which is smaller and forfeits less reach. I have one on my S1000XR and its great. I don't think they can make one like that for the Wing though. I might call Jay and ask him.

Marc

1 - 20 of 38 Posts