GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe some clean underwear, rain gear, cell phone, credit card, and the GWRRA Gold Book. It may be a long trip for you, but the Goldwing will think it's just a little trip around the block.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
What CJ said, plus gloves, extra sunglasses. Goggles/rain shield for your helmet. And a good attitude............. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
CJS said:
Maybe some clean underwear, rain gear, cell phone, credit card, and the GWRRA Gold Book. It may be a long trip for you, but the Goldwing will think it's just a little trip around the block.

What's the Gold Book??

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
White Boy said:
...can anyone who has give us some insight as to what to expect, what to be aware of, what to take, what to leave behind, and any other tips you can think of?...
Pack enough clothing for three days. Most places have a washer and dryer so use them (take a roll of quarters, a small box of dry laundry soap, and plastic bag with you).

Keep your rain gear handy...you don't want to unpack an entire saddle bag when you really need it.

Other than that, you might want to consider taking along a replacement headlamp (know how to change it before you leave), spare key, flashlight, tire guage, cell phone, tow service, cover for the bike, and other personal items not easily replaced on the road.

Have a good ride!

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
evilashx said:
CJS said:

What's the Gold Book??
The Gold Book is a benefit provided to members of the GWRRA (www.gwrra.org). It lists all members, dealers, and provides other useful information. If you aren't a member of the GWRRA, you might ask around to other wing riders in your area and borrow one of theirs.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I just rode 1300 miles to MA from GA in ~ 24 hrs then 2 days later rode back nonstop in ~21 hrs. What made the trip for me was a Utopia backrest, Gerbing heated gear (regular socks, pant liner, jacket liner, G3 gloves, dual controller) and XM radio. I rode all day and all night long in temps 55/day 25/night. Moisture wicking underwear i.e. UnderArmour.
Don't drink alcohol or caffeine. Drink Gatorade or similar (I also carry a small box of single serve powders that you add to water which replenish electrolytes and no calories and just buy a bottle of water at gas stop) and snack on trailmix. Having the Gerbing's allows to pack and wear less and ride in hot or cold weather. I brought about 4 pair of gloves including ski gloves and rain gloves in case I got caught in nasty weather. Frogg Toggs rain gear. Sunscreen, I use it on face even though I wear a full face helmet and shield (shield comes off when hot). Maps, Balaclava, silk glove liners, tire pressure gauge, duct tape.
Have fun
Take lots of breaks
Be safe,

Steve

·
Registered
19,256 Posts
Gas,jacket,gps,rain gear, tools, helmet,cell phone,money, gloves,boots, camera,clothes, micro fiber clothes, Plexus for windshield, that's about it-the rest are luxuries.

What no chrome suggestions???? , I thought that was the most important part of most of the bikes here.

·
Registered
42 Posts
tjshelton said:
evilashx said:
CJS said:

What's the Gold Book??
The Gold Book is a benefit provided to members of the GWRRA (www.gwrra.org). It lists all members, dealers, and provides other useful information. If you aren't a member of the GWRRA, you might ask around to other wing riders in your area and borrow one of theirs.
Thanks, I will....

·
Registered
49 Posts
A quick stop at The Iron Butt Archive of Wisdom would not hurt.

http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aow.cfm

And keeping an updated tool kit is very helpfull when all does not go right:
Item # 19 on the Wisdom list,

http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aow.cfm?AOWID=21

The above are from the late great Ron "ready for anything" Majors,
One of the Great Grand Dad's of Long Distance touring and the Iron Butt Rally Website.

Keep ready at hand bug sting topical, lip balm, sunblock, Satelite radio, CamelBac, GPS or Compass, Ait temp gauge.

·
Registered
806 Posts
You don't need to take no clean underware. After 3 or 4 days on the road just stop at Wally World go in, get a 3 or 4 pack of Fruit of the Looms, go in dressing room, open pack, put on clean pair, put dirty one in pack, put back on shelf, leave store and bingo your good for another 3 or 4 days. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Gee, I thought I was the only one who did that. Socks too.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Cockleburr said:
You don't need to take no clean underware. After 3 or 4 days on the road just stop at Wally World go in, get a 3 or 4 pack of Fruit of the Looms, go in dressing room, open pack, put on clean pair, put dirty one in pack, put back on shelf, leave store and bingo your good for another 3 or 4 days. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Polecat, is that you? :wink: :p

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
daddysbike said:
I just rode 1300 miles to MA from GA in ~ 24 hrs then 2 days later rode back nonstop in ~21 hrs. What made the trip for me was a Utopia backrest, Gerbing heated gear (regular socks, pant liner, jacket liner, G3 gloves, dual controller) and XM radio. I rode all day and all night long in temps 55/day 25/night. Moisture wicking underwear i.e. UnderArmour.
Don't drink alcohol or caffeine. Drink Gatorade or similar (I also carry a small box of single serve powders that you add to water which replenish electrolytes and no calories and just buy a bottle of water at gas stop) and snack on trailmix. Having the Gerbing's allows to pack and wear less and ride in hot or cold weather. I brought about 4 pair of gloves including ski gloves and rain gloves in case I got caught in nasty weather. Frogg Toggs rain gear. Sunscreen, I use it on face even though I wear a full face helmet and shield (shield comes off when hot). Maps, Balaclava, silk glove liners, tire pressure gauge, duct tape.
Have fun
Take lots of breaks
Be safe,

Steve
What he said except I think Frogg Toggs suck and most sunscreens cause me an allergic reaction... I use thermax liners instead of silk. And I rarely take breaks...
Hi-tech materials are neat. Wicking shirts are light, warm when it's cold out, cool when it's hot out, and launder easily in the motel sink.
Immodium can save a trip too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts