GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody bought a re-manufactured StreetPilot III from TVNAV. com? If so, was the unit in like new condition and what are the pro's and con's?
TIA,
Eddie Flinchum

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes, I bought a remanufactured Street Pilot III from TVNAV last July. Nice peolpe to deal with. It came in a box with all of the parts, software and manuals. It looked like a 'new' manufactured unit.

I have used it several times since then without problem. I have come to rely on 'Shirley' to get where I am going. I have been real happy with the product.

I added a Kennedy GPSet and VP mount. I also move it between the bike and both cars.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Eddy,

I don't know what they are getting for the recons. The recons are generally as good as new. But with the price of the 2610 holding at $739 from GPSDISCOUNT.com, I would weigh the difference and see if I wanted to go for the recon or the 2610.

Either way, both the SP III and the 2610 are excellent choices. Only drawback that I see so far, is that neither Garmin nor Kennedy have provided us with a harness hook up to this point.

I am sure that Jon @ Kennedy wants to get his product out, as fas as we want to get it.

Fuzzy has posted a picture of the harness that he bought from Garmin, and from his post, you can tell that it is not the cats meow.

I bought the 2610 (Meesh did actually) as she knows that I want to be on the cutting edge with trinkets. It is a sickness I tell you. I sold my SP III on the board classifieds.

Major difference in the two are the 2610 has no batteries for backup power, it does have a touch screen and a keyboard to type in your destinations.

Take your time if you want an SP III, as I am sure there will be a lot of good used ones on the market fairly soon.

Bulldog

·
Registered
174 Posts
eddy said:
Has anybody bought a re-manufactured StreetPilot III from TVNAV. com? If so, was the unit in like new condition and what are the pro's and con's?
TVNAV are good people to deal with, but... it has been my experience to never buy ANY reman electronic stuff. I had a few experiences with computer related stuff (brand name by the way).

The problem is with intermitant faults. Usually electronic stuff either works or it fails and that's easy to fix. The problem with intermitant faults is it can take a long time to track down and a lot of grief in the interim.

When something NEW fails due to an intermitant fault, the new owner sends it back to the factory for replcament. The factory sends out a replacement and tests the "dud" and if it works, as it most likely will, they assume the orignal purchaser was a dork and wrap it up as a reman unit.

Now, the original purchaser may have been a dork, OR the unit may REALLY have had a problem that only surfaces part of the time.

After running foul of this problem twice in the past I now never buy reman electronics. I have no qualms about buying reman mechanical stuff as the chances of an intermitant fault are about zero to none.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I checked with garmin directly a while back and asked them if garmin sold any reconditioned gps units. the answer was no. asked garmin if they authorized any dealers to recondition gps units, the answer was no. I asked garmin where these reconditioned units are coming from, and garmin didnt no. I asked garmin if any warranty period was left on a reconditioned gps unit would garmin honor the warranty, the answer was no. to me, it is a buyer beware situation when it comes to used electronics.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.