GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RE: steering bearing adiustment

OK........after several tries......adj nut set at 26, lock ring on, tabs in adj nut......lock nut will NOT go past 45 ft lbs without turning the adj nut too.....apparently there is a trick to this?????:shrug:

·
Vendor
22,102 Posts
OK........after several tries......adj nut set at 26, lock ring on, tabs in adj nut......lock nut will NOT go past 45 ft lbs without turning the adj nut too.....apparently there is a trick to this?????:shrug:

The lock ring get finger tightened, not 45 ft lbs!

The nut that gets 76 ft/lbs is the one on TOP of the steering stem, not the lock nut.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Why are you trying to get past 45 lbs on the lock nut?????????

This is what the manual says to do after installing the lock washer:

Install a new lock washer to align its bent tabs with the grooves in the adjustment nut.

Install the lock nut and finger tighten it all the way.

Further tighten the lock nut, within 90 degrees, to align its grooves with the tabs of the lock washer. Bend the lock washer tabs up into the grooves of the lock nut.

Do not over tighten the lock nut, this will flatten the lock washer.

Only after you install the top bridge do you torque the top stem nut to
103 N·m (10.5 kgf·m, 76 lbf·ft).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
MILLISEC, I did almost the same thing. You are not alone in

this adjustment mistake. Welcome to the do it again club. :oops:

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bearings

Thanks Towerhog.........I read the book wrong!!!!:joke:
But I have done that before:eek:4:

Thanks!!!!!!!!:bow:

·
Registered
17,046 Posts
When doing this job; I set the lock ring to just finger snug and if the tabs do not align very closely, then I back the lock nut off to the next tab. The lock should not hold any pressure onto the bearing pre-load; in fact, its main function is to hold the top nut's heavy pressure up off of the bearng pre-load. The tab washer will prevent the pre-load nut from loosening. New races and bearings almost always settle in some, expecially if drifted into place.

prs

1 - 6 of 6 Posts