GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I am new to Goldwings and absolutely love my bike. I have a 2012 that I got as new old stock last fall, got a great deal directly from Honda on it. My only issue with the bike is the seat height. I am not tall, 5’ 7” with a 28” inseam. It’s a stretch for me to reach the ground and I am not ever flat footed at a stop. When I have my GF on the back, I am never really comfortable with my footing. Now if I only did highway travel, it would be ok, but 80% of my riding is back roads and suburbia with lots of lights.

After reading numerous post on the subject I am thinking, as my first option, of going with the Mustang Seat. Their seat sits you 1” lower and 1” further back. All the other custom seats raise you a bit and when I talked to the manufactures, for instance Ultimate seats, they really don’t want to lower the height of their seats.

My other option is the lowering the bike with a suspension modification. Not as costly but you lose the center stand and I think devalue the bike when and if I ever try to sell it unless the other person is also short.

So I have two questions. First, is my logic sound doing the seat as my first option? Secondly, is the Mustang Seat a comfortable seat? I have a Mustang seat on my 03 Harley and I can go 18 hours on it before I really start to feel discomfort, but my buddies 97 Valkrie, his Mustang seat never seems to have broken in, after over 10 years of use, and it sucks.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
Your idea of going with a seat that will sit you 1" lower sounds promising. Another thing to consider is the type of riding boots you wear. I've read comments from other riders with short inseams who have said that they've gotten some amount of help by wearing thicker soled shoes. Sorry I can't offer more but, at 6'4" tall , my issues are the opposite of yours.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Another option

Another option is to have a thicker sole put on your riding boots. I'm 6'3" and don't have that problem, but I've seen other riders overcome thus problem this way.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
are you thinking you want to be flat footed with both feet?
as a suggestion, try to stop with only your left foot on the ground, keep right foot on the brake..this adds stability to the bike and only requires you to have one foot touching the road

·
Registered
2016 GL1800
236 Posts
There is a 2001 Blue Goldwing for sale on the New Orleans Craigslist that shows a custom "low rider" seat that looks very interesting, I couldn't figure out how to post a link.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your idea of going with a seat that will sit you 1" lower sounds promising. Another thing to consider is the type of riding boots you wear. I've read comments from other riders with short inseams who have said that they've gotten some amount of help by wearing thicker soled shoes. Sorry I can't offer more but, at 6'4" tall , my issues are the opposite of yours.
I wear either hunting style boots or rubber soled western style boots. Not your typical footwear on a bike I know, but it's what I do. I thought about the platform shoe thing, I just don't want to be tied down to one pair of boots. It's still an option, but the seat or suspension change are still at the top of the list. Heck, doing both could get me close to two inches of extra reach.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I had a Mustang seat on a Kawi Nomad . Never regretted getting it, probably one of the most comfortable seats ever. And it does NOT need breaking in. It does seat you lower and gives excellent support.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Do you lose the center stand is yes and no with the lowering kit. You do lose the stock stand but you can replace it with the shorter stand offered with the kit. Depending on how low you go you do lose some cornering but I don't have that problem because I don't get to crazy in the corners. And I use it as an indicator that I'm going faster than I need to if I hear stuff dragging. I really like mine and for the couple of small problems I prefer the stability. If you decide to sell it just put the stock parts back on. You'll get a different answer from each rider. Do what makes you feel comfortable and safe. Bottom line.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Also 5'7 and about 28 inseam. Almost did not buy a F6B because of the height difference from my 2010 VT1300 which I could easily stand up with when stopped. On the F6B I stop and end up on balls of feet or have learned to come to a stop and lean slightly to the right side and be flat footed on one foot. I think you need to ride more with the new bike and you will get used to it faster, then stopping will be much easier with no second thought. I ride some about every day and put 7600 miles on in July 2015. Bike was loaded with tent, air mattress, ice chest, sleeping bag and clothes going thru the mountains.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I am 5'6" with 27 1/2 in inseam.....
lowered front 3/4" (jack under engine, loosen the triple tree, let the bike slide down. about 3/4" was about the max)
dropped the rear 1" using the lowering kit (you can always take the link back out and put the bike back to the original height)
This is an 01, had the rear shock replaced with a 2010 shock that had no mileage; that shock was fitted with a 2012 new spring to replace the 2010 spring ( more progressive)
Put Progressive springs in the front shock and disabled the anti dive.
Had the the seat redone by a local upholstery shop, 1 in down but not back; the guy that did mine is a bike rider and very good at what he does, cost about $500, looked great and was very comfortable, added a Gel Pad even though he lowered the seat and took some width out of the front.
Added build up to the boot, not noticeable and really helps.

All this and I have no problems at all......
BTW - I did not change the center stand, I had just intended to put it on the side stand only but changed my mind later. I had no problem putting the bike on the original center stand.
A couple of other people tried and said it was much harder than there bike, maybe, I don't know but it did work for me so I did not worry about it.

On the Three Sisters in the Texas Hill country, you have to put another wing beside it to see the changes.
5-19 HWY337 GL R.jpg

Here is the boot, you have to get down here to see the 1/2" added to the heal and ball, people standing next to me never notice.
*** Just noticed your post about (1) pair of boots; I have (4) pair (all the same) the cobbler I use tells me he can't resole the ones I have on tonight anymore....guess in a few weeks I will be down to (3) pair, the ones I have on right now are at least 3 years old and I wear them daily, and I ride daily.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Many good responses and thanks.

thekid, I would just say riding more will do fix the problem, like it did with you, but its the two up aspect that makes me uncomfortable. If I was by myself, no problem and this issue wouldn't exist.

Hearing two positive comments from those using the lowering kits gives me reason to reconsider that option.

As for the boots, I just don't know if I am disciplined enough to always wear those boots. I guess I could be. My riding buddy has even suggested that one to me. I guess i should consider it.

Thanks for the replies so far.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I am 5'4" tall with a 27" inseam. Get yourself a pair of Daytona M-Star boots. They have a built in lift in them that will make you an inch and a half taller. They are expensive boots but they will last forever and provide you with excellent protection. One of the best buys that I have spent my money on.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I too am vertically challenged. I used the same logic you are using and bought a Mustang seat to get the lower 1". It worked OK until I started putting serious mileage on the GW. I suffered with the Mustang until the wiring shorted out and then went with the Ultimate seat. Huge improvement! However, back to the original height. That height works for me since I never have a passenger but it might be a problem with someone on back. If you travel with two a lot you might look at a Russell Day Long or other custom seat.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I agree with the ones that said more experience and ride time on the bike.
I am short also,and the GL was very intimidating at first,but more saddle time makes it feel a lot smaller than it is.
The other problem I see with going with a thinner seat,unless it scoooted you farther forward,would mean a longer reach to the handle bars.
Obviously lowering the whole bike would not cause that to be a problem. (I'm short armed,too)
Go put some miles on that thing!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After reading all the post, and talking to my friends, I believe I have my plan of attack.

1. Remove the Kuryakyn Floor boards and go back to stock (this will kill me for I love floor boards w/ heal toe shifter and I failed to mention this addon in earlier post) They will be for sale soon if your interested. Not sure what current list is but I will let them go for $200 and they are in perfect condition. The bike only has 892 mile on it and they were installed at 150 miles.
2. Order the 3/4" lowering suspension link
3. Look for boots with a modest height gain

Doing those three task I think will fix my problem about feeling safe when riding two up, which is the heart of this whole decision. If this does not completely fix it, I will start a search for a company to modify the existing goldwing seat. We both have found the stock seat to be comfortable, well so far, so hopefully no need to spend big bucks on a custom seat.

thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Can you stand astride the bike, ie. put your leg over and just stand rather than sit? I ask this because I have the same problem as you but I can stand easily. In my case, while sitting, the seat supports my thighs and prevents my legs getting straight when I stop so preventing me from flat footing the ground. I've modified my seat by cutting a scallop out of each side and I can now flat foot with security.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Our 2007 Gold Wing was just a bit too tall for me - so sent the seat off and had it modified.
THAT really made a difference in my riding confidence and the general way that I "felt" about the Gold Wing.
Before that, I only rode the thing when the wife wanted to go for a ride.

We put a lot of miles on that bike, and then bought a 2010 model.
I can flat-foot this one, straight off of the dealer show room.
Don't know why it's different than the 2007 model we had before.

It's no fun having a bike that's too tall.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I think of all those steps the most important is to remove those floorboards; The seat and bike is wide as it is and those boards make you spread your feet even more making it awkward and a reach. You may want to try riding a bit on the stock pegs and perhaps tall boots if you feel the need before lowering the suspension. Keep in mind that lowering the front by sliding the triple clamp down alters the rake and tends to make the bike easier to handle at slow speed and stops. Lowering the rear tends to have the opposite effect.
I say this from personal experience with a Yama Venture which is a bit top heavy and taller than the wing and roughly the same weight. When I first got it, it seemed like wrestling a water buffalo at every stop ! So I lowered the front end a full inch by sliding the triple clamp down the stanchions. The bike instantly felt like it lost about 150 pounds and became much easier to handle. The half inch height lost at the boot sole was just the gravy making it even more comfortable. And of course, it costs nothing to adjust the front and is easily reversible.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Can you stand astride the bike, ie. put your leg over and just stand rather than sit? I ask this because I have the same problem as you but I can stand easily. In my case, while sitting, the seat supports my thighs and prevents my legs getting straight when I stop so preventing me from flat footing the ground. I've modified my seat by cutting a scallop out of each side and I can now flat foot with security.
I have noticed that uncomfortable width also.... Even though I can flat foot it, the pressure on the inside of my legs feels odd and uncomfortable.....I may decide to slim that seat down as well.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I am 5'5" with 27" inseam. I lowered my previous bike (Yamaha Vstar-1300) and I was bottoming allot. I will never do that again.
Like others have said the more you ride the better you get. You will learn how to stop, what to do and not to do. I also do workout specially the legs just to keep my lower body strong so I can this beauty and the beast up.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts