Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Administrator
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Open for comment, until I close it.

As the internet gets more sophisticated, so has the innovativeness of our membership to aggravate each other.

Once upon a time it was easy enough to say no swearing at each other no personal attacks etc etc.

I'm seeing a new disturbing trend which I can only describe as 'targeting" or "badgering".

Basically, it works like this:
a member will pose a question to another member or a vendor and then if they don't like the answer they just keep targeting and badgering and badgering and hoping to get a different answer.

That's not going to happen any more. We are losing members and threatening vendors and it's going to stop.

You're going to have to agree to disagree and the moderators will have new rules to enforce it.

·
Vendor
2,297 Posts
Is there a way for a forum member to block selected threads so they are not bothered with threads that don’t interest them?

If not, there should be.

I think the problem is the opposite of what you are thinking... people come onto threads that don't interest them and then hassle the people in those threads who are having a discussion that they don't like, or want to be mad about.

So the people badgering Members and Vendors WANT to come onto those threads and harass the people having discussions.

They won't "Self-choose" to block threads they want to badger people on.

I am very happy that the Moderators have observed this problem and are going to try some new things to "moderate" it.

Thank you Moderators!!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have never been a forum moderator but did teach school for a number of years and, by observation, I do see some similarities therein. IMHO, managing an interactive environment where personal attacks are thwarted, anti bullying rules are actually enforced and questions/thoughts and opinions are welcome/valued from both new "students" and old alike takes a lot of effort.
A HUGE thanks to you who are willing to do the work thereof and who are wise enough to see/know that sitting back and doing nothing will end up, as pointed out, with losing members.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
everyone thanks and respects moderators for the tough job they have, it is a fine line sometimes trying to determine what is acceptable and what can stay.

I think most of know where this started, within the past week.....when someone comes on with a statement....their opinion, may be factual, may not....and basically tells others how Honda is selling cheap parts/bikes, when 95% of the purchasers are very happy, it does rub people the wrong way.

As a business owner, who deals a lot with the public, how you say something is just as important in what you say

I believe anyone on this board has the right to challenge any and all statements, we can all learn from a good discussion

Respect is earned, and saying this, I have not seen any posts that included personal attacks, maybe they were removed, if so, thank you moderators

·
Registered
533 Posts
I didn't see a problem so maybe I am at the heart of it...This is where it is to be discussed then lets talk. I agree with thekid. Personal attacks should not be allowed in anyway but disagreements and discussions around them should.

What are the repercussions of paid sponsors behaving poorly? It would seem a delicate balance between wanting to discuss and be a community member and being able to cry fowl. I am not pointing fingers, especially because I have no issue but what's good for the goose is good for the gander, right?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Unfortunate that it seems to be ok for (some) vendors to take over member threads and target forum members.

And because of that we need to change forum rules for members??
Plus, members taking over a thread and repeatedly peddle their product without being a paid board sponsor...

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
Sponsors pay the bills. I've seen it everywhere, unless the request is simply ridiculous, you cater to the people that pay the bills. It's how business is done.

Regardless if the sponsor post things that are inflammatory and irritating the very people they wish to sell their product to, they are in fact the "customer" to the board and so if a sponsor complains, it's going to get addressed.

This doesn't surprise me at all and I'm fine with it. Of course...that same sponsor that posts that inflammatory things could be irritating their potential customers so it's a two way street that usually works out in the end.

Bottom line...some people never learned how to play in the sandbox. You have to tell them not to throw sand in other peoples eyes. Some have figured it out by now.

·
Registered
16,616 Posts
Like a moth drawn to a night light, I may be drawn into warm debate on occasion and I suggest that honest civil debate not only be allowed, but appreciated and encouraged. If I should commit an infraction of the rules, then let the punishment fit the crime. Thank you, Moderators, for striving to keep this the best GL1800 board.

prs

·
Administrator
4,099 Posts
Plus, members taking over a thread and repeatedly peddle their product without being a paid board sponsor...
Gold Winger. How's about sending me a PM and we'll deal with this "peddler'. You guys can be in more places than we can. Maybe we missed it. If someone is selling without a vendor's license, we wanna know about it. Thanks!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Me being me, I gotta go looking for whatever y'all are talking about...

I do know, discussions in writing completely loose their "human" interaction, and can to one person appear negative and to another person appear completely acceptable. Maybe we should use more smiley faces in our posts. 0:)

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.