GL1800Riders Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Open for comment, until I close it.

As the internet gets more sophisticated, so has the innovativeness of our membership to aggravate each other.

Once upon a time it was easy enough to say no swearing at each other no personal attacks etc etc.

I'm seeing a new disturbing trend which I can only describe as 'targeting" or "badgering".

Basically, it works like this:
a member will pose a question to another member or a vendor and then if they don't like the answer they just keep targeting and badgering and badgering and hoping to get a different answer.

That's not going to happen any more. We are losing members and threatening vendors and it's going to stop.

You're going to have to agree to disagree and the moderators will have new rules to enforce it.
I identify with this kind of tactic users may employ, but in my profession as an Engineer, individuals use the same techniques when attempting to receive a "better" or different answer to suit them. We label this as "Engineer Shopping" and it's frustrating.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Is there a way for a forum member to block selected threads so they are not bothered with threads that don’t interest them?

If not, there should be.
Just skip over them. Self control. :wink2:

·
Registered
8,116 Posts

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
We are just members of this board and can be removed at any time. I just experienced this first hand. We are free to skip posts and we may also skip forums. Vendors should also be held to the same standards. Maybe even tighter standards. As a business owner I often turn away business that does not fit my business standards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Moderator 2...you always seemed like a fair guy, but I agree 100% with what thekid said in his post...And I honest to God believe, this person can make a much better product...Much better...heck I spent well over 9 thousand dollars with him...but (IMO) this a true statement : As a business owner, who deals a lot with the public, how you say something is just as important in what you say.

So with that said..."The past is the past" everything is good in my book,and thanks for all you guys do.

John

·
Registered
12,497 Posts
The assumption that a "no badgering" rule is intended to protect vendors is incorrect. It will be written to protect everyone.

Currently there are no rules against badgering someone forever. So, if someone complains that they are being badgered by another member or vendor we have no recourse .. ..other than displaying Bad Manners, it does not violate any policy...Bad Manners is not a rule violation. Even if it were it would be impossible to evaluate and enforce.

What I intend to do is Implement a rule to address that oversight. Thereafter when someone complains they are being badgered the moderators will have the ability to evaluate the complaint and see if it's a rule violation or not.

·
Registered
16,684 Posts
WingWing, that makes sense; but the very recent plethora (hey, we'uns hill folk know them werds) of locked threads dumfounds me (maybe not all that hard to do). Reading over those threads shows very little that any reasonable person would find offensive or badgerenable (I coined that thar term). Were the offensive posts deleted? Or is this an example of the offended needed to put on their big boy pants? (Is that offensive? The truth can be most offensive.)

In establishing your new policy I suggest the moderator enter his reason for locking or deleting in a final post of the thread. That we hooligans will learn what not to do, because I have no clue of what prompted those recent locked threads. I do not see why Fred was upset, those locked threads concerning him seem to show by and large the well deserved praise he earned. Very similar statement I can make about the locked threads viewable for Max. Deleting the offensive posts and locking the thread leaves us all in a quandary (edjuminkated hillbilly again). Let us know who did what so we can learn from our mistakes. I will do my best to fall in line with whatever rules you impose, but give the situation some deep thinking, please. Thank you again!

prs

·
Registered
12,497 Posts
WingWing, that makes sense; but the very recent plethora (hey, we'uns hill folk know them werds) of locked threads dumfounds me (maybe not all that hard to do). Reading over those threads shows very little that any reasonable person would find offensive or badgerenable (I coined that thar term). Were the offensive posts deleted? Or is this an example of the offended needed to put on their big boy pants? (Is that offensive? The truth can be most offensive.)

In establishing your new policy I suggest the moderator enter his reason for locking or deleting in a final post of the thread. That we hooligans will learn what not to do, because I have no clue of what prompted those recent locked threads. I do not see why Fred was upset, those locked threads concerning him seem to show by and large the well deserved praise he earned. Very similar statement I can make about the locked threads viewable for Max. Deleting the offensive posts and locking the thread leaves us all in a quandary (edjuminkated hillbilly again). Let us know who did what so we can learn from our mistakes. I will do my best to fall in line with whatever rules you impose, but give the situation some deep thinking, please. Thank you again!

prs
If you could Supply links to the threads in question, that would be very helpful.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Well, I get more cranky with every passing year - so this is may be my opportunity to get some one-on-one attention from the moderators.

On a side note - the "ignore" feature will make many of the residents here "less cranky"

Try it, you'll like it.

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled programming

·
Administrator
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hi
Well, I get more cranky with every passing year - so this is may be my opportunity to get some one-on-one attention from the moderators.

On a side note - the "ignore" feature will make many of the residents here "less cranky"

Try it, you'll like it.

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled programming
Good advice :thumbup:

Unfortunately, there are some limitations with the ignore feature.
I'm working on getting those limitations corrected.

·
Registered
16,684 Posts

·
Registered
9,031 Posts
<...>Once upon a time it was easy enough to say no swearing at each other no personal attacks etc etc.

I'm seeing a new disturbing trend which I can only describe as 'targeting" or "badgering".
<...>
That's not going to happen any more. We are losing members and threatening vendors and it's going to stop.

You're going to have to agree to disagree and the moderators will have new rules to enforce it.
Question for clarification purposes...

How does "targeting" or "badgering" not cross the line into 'personal attack'?

I'm simply asking, because one would believe that once a comment or opinion is made, and a rebuttal contrary to said opinion is provided, it's either a discussion -or- "targeting" or "badgering".

Can some clarity be provided prior to the implementation of the rule?

21 - 40 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.