GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to install the CT this weekend and I am wondering if I can just take off the MT as the manual says and install the CT. I have had the rear off before and it was no big deal.
:excited:
The reason I am asking is I saw on some other threads that some folks laid the bike over to install the CT. Is that necessary or they are doing it that way so they dont have to remove the tupperware on the back end of the bike.

I plan on setting the center stand down on a couple of 2X4's to give me some added height.

Your thoughts?
Rick

·
Registered
796 Posts
Rick,

I put mine on as you are describing- put it on the center stand, took the rear panel off and changed the tire. No problems. You will have to let the air out of the CT (Maybe) to get it in....that helped me, but once it's in the tire well and on the studs it's easy. I haven't done the "lay the bike on its side" thing, I don't think that's necessary, but it is an option. Good luck.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
See where it rubs and put some grease or dish soap there. It'll go in a lot easier.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Welcome to the DARKSIDE....... :flg:
Don't forget to get your # an Decal....

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rick,

I put mine on as you are describing- put it on the center stand, took the rear panel off and changed the tire. No problems. You will have to let the air out of the CT (Maybe) to get it in....that helped me, but once it's in the tire well and on the studs it's easy. I haven't done the "lay the bike on its side" thing, I don't think that's necessary, but it is an option. Good luck.
Im thinking if I set the rear stand on a piece of wood to get it up higher that would eliminate letting the air out and any other obsticales that maybe in the way.

I'll let you know how it goes and how the bike handles. I have a new rim with the CT on it already, just need to swap out

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Letting the air out doesn't have anything to do with height. Its to get the bulk of the tire past the studs...

(you'll see when you get there!... no Biggie)

·
Registered
796 Posts
Im thinking if I set the rear stand on a piece of wood to get it up higher that would eliminate letting the air out and any other obsticales that maybe in the way.

I'll let you know how it goes and how the bike handles. I have a new rim with the CT on it already, just need to swap out
Rick, I did the same thing- bought an extra rim, got the CT on it and just swapped them out. Easy as can be. Can't wait to hear your first stories.
:thumbup:

And, I agree with Daver- the reason for letting the air out is to get it past the studs. After it's on the studs you are in good shape.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I plan on setting the center stand down on a couple of 2X4's to give me some added height.
Your thoughts?
Rick
Make sure you use a safety strap on that center stand. Wrestling a ct up and in past the fender well involves a fair bit of pushing toward the front of the bike.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Yes Rick, I too do the two pieces of lumber trick, though I use 2 X 10's. I find it hard to put the bike on the center stand unless I drive up on some more strategically placed boards first with the rear tire. Then when you get the center stand down on your other boards you don't even have to take the steel bar off between the saddlebags. Like someone else said, be careful and put some straps on the centerstand so you don't push the bike forward off of it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes Rick, I too do the two pieces of lumber trick, though I use 2 X 10's. I find it hard to put the bike on the center stand unless I drive up on some more strategically placed boards first with the rear tire. Then when you get the center stand down on your other boards you don't even have to take the steel bar off between the saddlebags. Like someone else said, be careful and put some straps on the centerstand so you don't push the bike forward off of it.
Thanks guys for the heads up on this subject. I should'nt have a problem changing it out as I have done this before. I think the new CT is only 1/4" in diameter taller but my concern was it is wider than the MT.

I also understand about getting it pass the studs with little to no air. That would help for sure.

I'll let you know how it turns out after I install on Sunday.

:excited:
Thanks for all of your advise guys

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
In case anyone missed it: The fitment/install problems associated with putting a 195-55 CT on an 1800 become a mute point with the 175-60 Dunlop RF some of us are running. It slides in as easy as an oe tire.:thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts