GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are ready to take the plunge and get a trailer, probably an Aluma. I know very little about trailers in general. What type of hitch do you recommend? And what do I need to know about wiring? I will probably have the dealer install.
KNHenning

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
As for the wiring: if your going to have it installed? There isn't too much to really know about it, just trust that he gets it right, and roll on. :doorag:

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have an Aluma and love the trailer. I ordered a Bushtec hitch from Hal and did the install myself. The hitch was easy to put on and the wiring is pretty straight forward.

Drumz

B

·
0 Posts
We are ready to take the plunge and get a trailer, probably an Aluma. I know very little about trailers in general. What type of hitch do you recommend? And what do I need to know about wiring? I will probably have the dealer install.
KNHenning
There are only 3 hitch manufacturers that make hitches that bolt ONLY to the stronger main frame, Rivco, Bushtec, and Hitch-Doc. All the rest bolt to the main frame AND somewhere else on the sub frame.

Keep this in mind: "The weakest spot on your main frame is always going to be stronger than the strongest spot on the sub frame".

Now, of those three main hitch manufacturers, only Rivco makes theirs out of machined aircraft quality aluminum, which is engineered as strong as their steel counterparts, but at half the weight. Even the Rivco ball is made of aluminum but with a hardened tool steel coating (which is harder than stainless steel). Rivco also includes illustrated install instructions complete with an electrical isolator/wiring harness that makes the install plug and play.

Bushtec makes their hitch out of (heavy) mild steel with a stainless steel ball and provides only written instructions withOUT illustrations for their isolator harness and hitch. The Rivco requires a hole in the rear fender for the receiver bar to come thru (the Bushtec doesn't, it comes from under the fender) but Rivco allows a complete hidden stock look by remounting the OEM reflector over the hole when the receiver bar is removed. Both Bushtec and Rivco offer available cargo baskets and various attachments that slide into their respective receiver mounts. Both (all three) hitches are strong quality hitches but my preference is the much lighter aluminum Rivco hitch. Why bolt on double the weight or anything more than necessary for the same strength/results? You can make a straw out of steel but what would be the point? Paper or plastic straws work just as well. You're riding a motorcycle not a truck with 12,000 lbs in tow but pulling merely 300-500 pounds of trailer so a lighter aluminum hitch makes much more sense and is more than adequate for the task at hand, much like the paper straw.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141255&highlight=Rivco+hitch+install

This link above from Coolhand is a popular thread giving very detailed and illustrated pictures of the Rivco install. Look it over and you will see that it isn't very hard and well within most peoples mechanical capability.

These links below will offer any new prospective trailer puller some insight on trailer wiring and trailer suspensions.

http://www.ridersrally.org//bb3kit/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=18606&p=130490&hilit=the+why#p130490

http://www.ridersrally.org//bb3kit/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=18653&hilit=the+why

They are written from a well known, very well respected, and extremely intelligent long time forum member and Goldwing enthusiast, Tom Finch. He is an engineer and designer/builder of the Tailwind trailer. I suggest you read these informative links and buy whatever trailer you like and can afford. The important thing is, the trailer you buy should be your informed decision, not someone else's. Feel free to e-mail me if I can be of any additional help. Good luck on whatever hitch/trailer you choose.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Whatever hitch or trailer that you choose...."Welcome to the World of Two Wheel Trailering"!
:congrats:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Whatever trailer hitch you choose, enjoy!

I do suggest a good quality wiring system. After "being cheap" and going through 3 low cost systems, I finally got the EC system through hal, and it has been worth every penny. Not a glitch since installation.

If you havent fully decided on a trailer yet, and still want to do some research, Try this link : http://aerobourne.com/motorcycletrailerindex9.htm

Due to some of the manufacturing size and shape differences, maybe a rally or two to see some of the different styles.

ENjoy!!

Bob

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
:thumbup:The Aluma is a GREAT choice! You will not spend a minute regretting that decision. Get the Bushtec hitch. It comes with the wiring, isolator and everything you need. The Aluma is already wired for 5 wire set-up to match the wing.

Edit: Talk to Leonard at Thomas Bus Sales in Des Moines, IA about your Aluma. The service is absolutley second to none and the prices are the best around.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Consider the empty weight of the trailer. The Aluma is relativly heavy for the volume capacity of the unit. Keeping the total weight of trailer and cargo low is a safety thought.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
There are only 3 hitch manufacturers that make hitches that bolt ONLY to the stronger main frame, Rivco, Bushtec, and Hitch-Doc. All the rest bolt to the main frame AND somewhere else on the sub frame.

Keep this in mind: "The weakest spot on your main frame is always going to be stronger than the strongest spot on the sub frame".

Now, of those three main hitch manufacturers, only Rivco makes theirs out of machined aircraft quality aluminum, which is engineered as strong as their steel counterparts, but at half the weight. Even the Rivco ball is made of aluminum but with a hardened tool steel coating (which is harder than stainless steel). Rivco also includes illustrated install instructions complete with an electrical isolator/wiring harness that makes the install plug and play.

Bushtec makes their hitch out of (heavy) mild steel with a stainless steel ball and provides only written instructions withOUT illustrations for their isolator harness and hitch. The Rivco requires a hole in the rear fender for the receiver bar to come thru (the Bushtec doesn't, it comes from under the fender) but Rivco allows a complete hidden stock look by remounting the OEM reflector over the hole when the receiver bar is removed. Both Bushtec and Rivco offer available cargo baskets and various attachments that slide into their respective receiver mounts. Both (all three) hitches are strong quality hitches but my preference is the much lighter aluminum Rivco hitch. Why bolt on double the weight or anything more than necessary for the same strength/results? You can make a straw out of steel but what would be the point? Paper or plastic straws work just as well. You're riding a motorcycle not a truck with 12,000 lbs in tow but pulling merely 300-500 pounds of trailer so a lighter aluminum hitch makes much more sense and is more than adequate for the task at hand, much like the paper straw.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141255&highlight=Rivco+hitch+install

This link above from Coolhand is a popular thread giving very detailed and illustrated pictures of the Rivco install. Look it over and you will see that it isn't very hard and well within most peoples mechanical capability.

These links below will offer any new prospective trailer puller some insight on trailer wiring and trailer suspensions.

http://www.ridersrally.org//bb3kit/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=18606&p=130490&hilit=the+why#p130490

http://www.ridersrally.org//bb3kit/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=18653&hilit=the+why

They are written from a well known, very well respected, and extremely intelligent long time forum member and Goldwing enthusiast, Tom Finch. He is an engineer and designer/builder of the Tailwind trailer. I suggest you read these informative links and buy whatever trailer you like and can afford. The important thing is, the trailer you buy should be your informed decision, not someone else's. Feel free to e-mail me if I can be of any additional help. Good luck on whatever hitch/trailer you choose.
Very informative Post. I would only add that I did not choose the Rivco because I did not want to cut into the fender and did not want to deal with installing the refector everytime I removed the hitch ball. I have the Hitch-Doc and could not be more pleased. IMHO the few extra pounds makes no difference, but that's why they give us choices. The main thing is to use one of the three quality hitches mentioned above that bolt to the mainframe with vertical support. Happy trailering. It is a lot of fun.

Fred

07 Blue Wing/Mini-Mate camper

B

·
0 Posts
Very informative Post. I would only add that I did not choose the Rivco because I did not want to cut into the fender and did not want to deal with installing the refector everytime I removed the hitch ball. I have the Hitch-Doc and could not be more pleased. IMHO the few extra pounds makes no difference, but that's why they give us choices. The main thing is to use one of the three quality hitches mentioned above that bolt to the mainframe with vertical support. Happy trailering. It is a lot of fun.

Fred

07 Blue Wing/Mini-Mate camper
Installing the reflector takes all of about 10 seconds but I understand your reluctance about cutting into the fender. Myself, I never bother to remove the receiver bar for the few times I am rarely without the trailer. Having more than just three choices (like Detroit autos) would certainly be better!

·
Registered
109 Posts
trailmaster trailers

Before you buy a trailer or hitch check out www.trailmasterinc.com. They have 15 cargo trailers and 3 camper models. They also carry Hitch Doc hitches. So far I have bought 2 trailers from them and will pick up my third at their Open House next Week. I have found them to be very helpful.

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
I took a plunge once

1 - 12 of 12 Posts