GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I am going to be triking my 02 ABS wing soon. I am an ASE certified auto tec and want to do the conversion myself if posable. Which kits can be bought and installed by the owner of the bike? Are there any kits that are sold to the public that work with ABS? I would like to keep the ABS if I can.
Thanks Pap

·
Registered
337 Posts
Before you touch a wrench, you might check with your insurance company. They may refuse to underwrite and self installed conversion. :?:

I

·
0 Posts
It is my understanding that CSC will not sell a kit to anyone except an authorized dealer. The dealer can then let you install it if they choose to do so, and warranty will be their responsibility.

I believe that Champion will sell you a kit for self install.

Some states will not recognize trike kits as a legitmate vehicle unless it is installed by an authorized dealer.

I don't know about the policy of other kit makers.

This stuff can get pretty dicy, so be sure you have your ducks lined up before you take the plunge.

Good luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The D.F.T. direct bolt-on IRS conversion allows your ABS to be utilized without changing anything by using Honda's braking system. As pajim said, make sure your insurance will cover a conversion installed by a non-authorized dealer. Some will insure at a greatly increased premium or may refuse totally.

CW

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know about your dealers but some of the dealers in my area leave alot to be desired. I have had warranty work done by two dealers in the area and neather one did even an average job. That is why I want to do the conversion myself if I can.

Pap

·
Registered
139 Posts
PAP,
You may want to expand your dealer/installer distance. Especially, if your insurance won't allow you to do-it-yourself. Mine would not even consided it; nor would I. Once I picked the brand of trike (Champion) I had to go outside my local area to find a dealer I felt comfortable spending BIG BUCKS with. I wound up going 150 miles from home.
Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts