GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to give the CT a try, I'm wondering if in a turn dose the tire run up on the sidewall, or dose it flex and stay flat on the ground?

Going to try the Kumho 195/55/16 RF,
Are there any issues with clearance?

Also been told there a bear to mount because of the stiff sidewall, can't believe there much stiffer that the Bridgestone's, witch I run now and are a bear to mount.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
I'm getting ready to give the CT a try, I'm wondering if in a turn dose the tire run up on the sidewall, or dose it flex and stay flat on the ground?

Going to try the Kumho 195/55/16 RF,
Are there any issues with clearance?

Also been told there a bear to mount because of the stiff sidewall, can't believe there much stiffer that the Bridgestone's, witch I run now and are a bear to mount.
:congrats: on giving it a try John. I don't run a Kuhmo, but my understanding on them is the sidewalls are stiff and don't flex at all. Running a 195 55 16, you should not have any clearance issues at all. A C/T does not stay flat, nor have I ever seen one actually on the sidewall. I hope this helps some.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:congrats: on giving it a try John. I don't run a Kuhmo, but my understanding on them is the sidewalls are stiff and don't flex at all. Running a 195 55 16, you should not have any clearance issues at all. A C/T does not stay flat, nor have I ever seen one actually on the sidewall. I hope this helps some.
The Kumho is the only one I know of, could you suggest others?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,027 Posts

I ran the dragon in May and scraped just about as much as you can without lifting the tires, and looking at where the tire was running it was never higher than the curved part of the tread. It did not touch on the actual sidewall. The center of the tire does lift off the ground. as you can see here: http://www.photoreflect.com/store/Orderpage.aspx?pi=0QAK00YG060149&po=149&pc=531

I run a Pirelli Euphori and after burning through the original tire in 6,000 miles decided to go dark and after 6,500 miles of dark riding since April am very happy with it.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
The Kumho is the only one I know of, could you suggest others?
Thanks
John, there are many others that are being run, but the Kuhmo is the most popular. Here is a link to run flat tires from where I normally buy mine from. They may be cheaper elsewhere, they just have a good selection.

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop....&Marke=&ranzahl=4&RunFlat=1&suchen=View+tires

Here is a partial list from Murgie's link.

Bridgestone Potenza 195/55R/16 Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22 RFT 205/55/16 BF Goodrich g-force Sport 205/55ZR16 Conti Pro Contact SSR 195/55/VR16 Conti Pro Contact SSR 205/55/HR16 Conti Vanco Contact 2 195/65TR16 Dunlop 195/55HR16 3D ROF Dunlop 195/55-16 DSST 3000 Dunlop 195/60/16 SP Sport 5000... If its not the new Holy Grail its got to be the Holy Sheeiit this tire is good...(Nando 4/23/09) Dunlop 175/60. DSST 5000 Run Flat Snow Tire General Altimax 205/60/16 General G-Max AS03 195/55/16 Goodyear Eagle Ultra Grip GW3 EMT 195/55/16 Goodyear Excellence 195/55R-16 87V RF MC Goodyear Triple Treads 205/60R/16 Kumho Ecsta SPT XRP 195/55/16 RF Pirelli Eufori 195/55/R16 Uniroyal Tiger Paw 205/55/16 Yokahama AVS Sport 205/55/16ZR RIKEN 205/55X16 @34 lbs Sunny SN3830 195/55 R16 87H (great for ol blue hairs) Toyo Proxes (I assume 195/55/16) Nexen N2000 195/50VR16 Michelin Primacy HP (zero pressure) 195/55/16 Falken ZIEX ZE912 195/55r16 87V Firestone Fire Hawk 195/55R16

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I ordered my Kumho (195/55/16 RF) $194.00 shipped to my door.
Tire was 149 and the rest was shipping.
Any dealers around me that could get the Kumho tire wanted 199 + tax, so I guess I did alright.

We'll see how hard it is to mount when it gets here, I have some good tire lube that looks like grease, I'm going to try that.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just put the same tire on for the first time. It feels funny for the first couple of rides. After putting on over 100 miles I love this tire.

Larry

·
Registered
487 Posts
John,
Sounds like your tire lube might be the NO Mar lube paste. It's good stuff.
Let us know how you made out with the mounting. Hang with it! You can do this. It's all about technique. Don't fight it to hard.:nojoke:

David
HondaMortch

·
Registered
353 Posts
Any dealers around me that could get the Kumho tire wanted 199 + tax, so I guess I did alright.

We'll see how hard it is to mount when it gets here, I have some good tire lube that looks like grease, I'm going to try that.
John,

Take it to a Discount Tire Store and ask them nice if they will mount it for you. They will have it on in about 30 seconds. If one store says no, call another one. If they ask what it is off of, tell them a Trike or you have a side car. Also for future reference, Discount will price match the cheapest online price you can find and they will mount for little to free if you buy from them. Mine was $160 with the tax.

32-34 psi.
I run 33 with Mountain Road Carving Perfection

Also, here is a video for you to see the way it looks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoNDo7o1d6Q

·
Registered
19,161 Posts

:congrats:eek:n the tire John!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
But I have to ask, with shipping charges like that, did you have it overnighted?:22yikes:

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:congrats:eek:n the tire John!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
But I have to ask, with shipping charges like that, did you have it overnighted?:22yikes:
No, that was the cheapest shipping they offered, Fed-X.
Overnighted it was as much as the tire.

Tire was $145.99
Shipping was $48.27
For a grand total of $194.26

Same cost as a good MC tire.
We'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
John,
Sounds like your tire lube might be the NO Mar lube paste. It's good stuff.
Let us know how you made out with the mounting. Hang with it! You can do this. It's all about technique. Don't fight it to hard.:nojoke:

David
HondaMortch
No it's not No-Mar lube.
It's a lube that I kind of bought by mistake, it's very thick, with the constancy of grease, and very slick.

The stuff I normally use is a thick liquid that you mop on with a mop.
It works great for the Bridgestone and Dunlop 1800 tires, witch have a pretty stiff sidewall.
Hopefully this Kumho isn't a whole lot stiffer. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
31,975 Posts
Hopefully this Kumho isn't a whole lot stiffer. :shrug:
It is ,but no worries use plenty of lube and common sense,you'll be fine. I spoon those on by hand and doing one Wednesday after work again.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It is ,but no worries use plenty of lube and common sense,you'll be fine. I spoon those on by hand and doing one Wednesday after work again.

Your my hero!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought the Kumho and the tire place mounted it for me it cost me $180 total. I love the way it feels on my 01 Goldwing. :congrats:

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
That video shows well how well a CT does. Boy, it sure looked rounded on the edges, too. :yes1:

·
Registered
879 Posts
Welcome to the DARK SIDE:22yikes: John my last two kumhos slide right onto the lugs. For some reason I had to lube up the Pirelli and beat it in. The Kumho and Pirelli both have thick sidewalls, but my tire installer tells me the Pirelli was stiffer to put on the rim than the Kumhos. :congrats: on a great BMT RF:thumbup:

·
Registered
775 Posts
Welcome to the darkside. That Kuhmo will do you proud. I am getting ready to mount my third one.

I have found that spray silicone is the best lubricant..........and I have tried a lot of them over the past 5 years that I have been mounting my own tires.

Another key, is to wrap the tire in a black plastic bag and set it inside your car in the bright sun. The hotter the tire is, the easier it will go on. In fact, if you get the tire good and hot, spray silicone generously on to the tire, you can usually push the first bead over the rim, and then the mojo lever and one spoon will put the second one on in about a minute or so.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
No, that was the cheapest shipping they offered, Fed-X.
Overnighted it was as much as the tire.

Tire was $145.99
Shipping was $48.27
For a grand total of $194.26

Same cost as a good MC tire.
We'll see how it goes.
That is unbelievable John, I've never paid over $18.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Neat video of the Kum.......who.

Realistic. Not like the old misleading ones.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts