GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need input from the experts on this board. I previously posted about the rear seat heat not working. It was in the shop for two weeks. I picked it up yesterday and they said it works. I drove the wing home in 45 degree weather and the grip heaters and front seat heater now do not work. I said some bad things to myself. I took it back in today and after 3 hours the technician says there is a short in the seat that may be caused by the Utopia backrest I installed. The rear seat heater was not working before I installed the Utopia. He also said that it must be an intermittant short. He said the reason the grip heaters don't work is because all three heating elements draw power from the same source. Is this correct? They will contact Honda next week to see if it is covered under warranty. As you can imagine, I am not too happy with this dealer but will give them an opportunity to do the right thing. Any advice?

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I thought we discovered parallel circuits a few years ago ?

Utopia backrests should not interfere with the heat element unless someone messed up the installation. Who installed the Utopia ? If there are no signs of damage to the element then Honda should fix it.
Best of luck, Honda will use any excuse to not honour their warranty.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I had the ignition cover off(seat and grip controllers) and had the same problem - sprayed some contact cleaner and put some de-electric grease in the plug and it was good. Very small connectors and easy to get dirt in them.
Easy to get cover off - I just can't find the post for it.

Patrick

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had my whole heating system die all at once. It ended up being a bad grip on the right side. Dealer installed a new grip and it works fine now. They must be tied together.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Has anyone experienced a problem with the heaters not working after installing a Utopia backrest?

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Bob,

The only way the back rest could interfere with heated operation, is if the heat grid was damaged during install.

I think that you are going on an uphill battle with Honda, as they are going to claim that your backrest install is the culprit, no matter what the truth is.

Hope you don't have to eat this one.

Hell I have ridden bikes now, for over 50 years and never had a heated seat. This might be the cause of my being, short, fat and handsome. I don't know...>LOL

Good Luck, A good Dealer can make this happen for you.

Bulldog

·
Vendor
22,228 Posts
Bulldog said:
Bob,
Hell I have ridden bikes now, for over 50 years and never had a heated seat. This might be the cause of my being, short, fat and handsome. I don't know...>LOL
Bulldog
So if I ride on a cold seat, will this make me better looking? Maybe I should just soak in a tub of ice water overnight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts