GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked at this board for tire information to make a buying decision and find really little facts here as to what is best. I have had a bad experience with Bridgestone on my Nomad Cruiser with cupping, and short tire life so am reluctant to go there. I changed to Dunlop on the cruiser and have Dunlops on the wing, experiencing much better tire life, no cupping and dry street handling, but not so good on wet pavements. :( I see Avon must be coming out with a new offering, but not much info. Has anyone used Metzler or another brand that has all of what we are looking for. I am headed to Nova Scotia this year and want a new set of skins under me. Thanks for any direction :!:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I have about 7000 miles on my Metzlers and couldn't be happier. Both front and rear still look new and they handle great, ride smooth, and stick like glue in the corners.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Looks like you are stuck with the dunlops, the Metzlers' have a problem with the front tire right now and I am going to wait and see what others say about the Avons when they come out.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I'll NEVER run dunlops on my 1800 again. They are super treacherous on wet pavement. Never went down, but slid and fishtailed too many times. I'm a conservative rider and get 20,000+ miles out of tires. For my money, I'll buy Metzlers, again. They seem to stick better than the other two 1800 brands.

·
Chard Member
13,063 Posts
You have no choice at this time but the Lops! I would have to quit riding a Wing if Lops were the only offering. I haven't had a set on a 1800 yet, but tried the OEM and upgraded(?) offering on my Valks. As far as I'm concerned Dunlop can't build a radial tire.

I just took a set of Wobblerz, I mean Metzlers, off of my 1800. Unsafe tire because of the violent wobble I had. No wonder they quit building a tire for the 1800.

To me the only tire I would have on my 1800 right now is the Stones. Keep the front at 40 and the cupping will be under control. The Metzlers I had didn't come close to handling as well as the Stones. The 1800 handles effortlessly with the Stones. It was work to get it to handle with the Metzlers!

Just My Opinion after a few sets of Stones!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Tires

I've stuck with the Stones and have had mileage in the 13000/14000 range which I consider to be decent. The Stones have a new design #709, for the front which so far has shown no cupping. I have no complaint with wet or dry performance. Piper

·
Registered
824 Posts
The OEM Stones nearly put my wife and I on the ground several times in barely wet conditions. They came off the bike and were thrown in the junk pile at under 4500 miles, with tons of wear left. Put the Metzlers on and am very happy with them. No wobble as has been reported by many. Have nearly 13000 miles on them now, with lots of wear to go.

·
Registered
67 Posts
tires

If you read what Iaron wrote, "I have had a bad experience with Bridgestone" his only choice is the LOPS. YOU AND I BOTH KNOW THAT METZLER IS NOT PRODUCING THE FRONT TIRE RIGHT NOW AND AVONS ARE NOT OUT YET. Right or Wrong Red?

·
Registered
287 Posts
I dont often agree with RED but he is 100% correct this time. There is no other tyre suitable for the 1800 only the stones, and the newer version of them is even better. Ride Safe. :oops: :wink: :arrow:

·
Registered
21,055 Posts
these tire postings are getting to look a lot like the oil issue,everyone has a different opinion. In 94,000+ miles I have used all 3 current tire brands and each one has worked for me. The Bridgestones handle great but tread life is a little shorter (18000+miles) than the others and cost is high,traction seemed fine for me wet or dry. Have worn out 2 sets of Dunlops they lasted (22000+miles)a few thousand more miles and handled fine for me on dry roads but made me nervous in rain after they slipped unexpected a few times. The second set had a slight wobble from new and as the miles added up the wobble got worse,kind of made me wish I had sent them back for warranty exchange. Currently have 7000 miles on a set of Metzlers, I was hesitant to order them because of the reported wobble problems but some other board members seemed impressed with them so what the heck. I am very happy with my Metzlers,they are the smoothest tires I ever had on a 1800!,like many others have said they stick like glue. With 7000 miles they still look new and I am expecting them to out last the others by a good margin but only time will tell. Ordered another set of Metzlers on the turkey day sale, the rear came in a few days and I am patiently waiting for Metzler to start producing and shipping the fronts again.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My bad experience with stones were on my Nomad Cruiser. I haven't had a set on my Wing, but I guess judging by this board everyone has had good and bad experience with all of them. Red, is it safe to say that you really endorse stones? I was a little confused about your response. I see one response dead hating the stones.
Ron

·
Registered
369 Posts
I will be replacing tires on the Wing in the Spring or maybe early Summer. I was at the NY International motorcycle show back on the 4th and was talking to one of the sales reps from Avon there. She said they should be distributing tires for the 1800 to the dealers shortly. Still waiting to hear from the Beta testers Hal got. I still have the origional stones on mine with between 6 and 7KMi. The front is cupping pretty good. Still have some tread but don't think they'll go more than 2 or 3 KMi. I like to make sure there's good skins underneath, only 2 wheels and the kids like to ride as well. I think this issue as well as the old oil issue are purely a matter of opinion and just like rearends, we all have them. I haven't decided which tire I'll be using as replacements yet but I do appreciate the opinions, as long as they are kept impersonal.

·
Registered
788 Posts
If you have been reading all of the threads on tires, there is one inescapable comment that is made over and over again - Dunlops slip on wet surfaces. Period. If you want to brown out your shorts, mount Dunlops on your 1800 and ride in the rain.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I just wear brown shorts and don't worry about it. :a13:
Besides, I learned to drive in a go-cart so going around corners sideways
is normal to me.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I think it's fair to say that different people have had both good and bad experiences with each brand, and each brand has it's advocates and critics. It makes me wonder if the tires are all consistant in their manufacturing processes, plus obviously there can be differences on how owners drive, the pressure(s) they keep in both front and rear and the roads they travel on. I'll still go with the Stones, but sure watch what happens with the release of the Avons later this spring or summer.

DaleC

·
Chard Member
13,063 Posts
Iaron....Yes, I enjoy the Bridgestones. The only reason I tried the Metzlers is I was being greedy and wanted a few more miles out of a set of tires. I go through at least two sets a year.

I beat the heck out of the Stones and never had one slip. I know I ride a Wing harder than most and the Stones have never given me a scare even when the bike is onto the crash guards! :oops: The just flat stick like glue. I can't have longevity and grip both! :(

On the other hand, the Metzlers slipped on me a few times. They don't like painted lines at all. :)

I could have lived with the Metzlers for the life of the tread if they had just a small wobble. The ones I had would even wobble from a take off. They would also wobble from 50 down, at times getting violent if I forgot to have a grip on the bars. I could have lived with the handling of the Metz's, but that wobble really got on my nerves.

I put a set of Stones on last week and I don't have the first sign of a wobble, going up or down in speed! I guess it boils down to me having the confidence in the Stones. I know the Stones will do anything the 1800 is capable of!
Good Luck In Your Decison.......

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
IARON,

Sounds like you are looking for an iron clad answer on tires on this board. It ain't going to happen.

That is like asking which pick up is better, Ford or Chevy.

I am only on my second set. Bridge stones treated me fairly good. Now I am on the Lops.

I have nothing good or bad to say about either one.

Bulldog

·
Registered
90 Posts
Tires

I have 10,000 on my original Stones. I like them, and will replace with Stones. 80% of my riding is 2-up, and have had no problems, and have ridden in some hurricane type rain. We have what we call black ice in Florida in the summer, when it rains after not having rained for a while. Until the roads get really rinsed by the rain, the roads are as slick as ice.
The Stones have always performed well in these conditions. My next set will be Stones again, if I can get them. Once again, I think it is important to use what YOU are comfortable with.

:yw1:

·
Registered
376 Posts
I'll go right on down the line with Red on this one. I bought my '02 in March and got about 13,500 miles from the original set. This included a few passes through Deal's Gap, two days on the BRP in the rain, more wet pavement than I really cared to ride and they stuck better than any tire I've ever ridden. I replaced them with another set on New Year's Eve day. As far as I'm concerned, they just work.

markie

1 - 20 of 44 Posts