GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Real Time Lightning

I would say this is very close, if not, real time...since I do know there are several thunderstorms active in Eastern Kentucky at this time, extending into Tennessee and N. Carolina. Good information.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I've got WeatherBug on my Droid. It already has a pop-up that alerts if lightening is within 15mi. and closer. Didn't do anything special for it, was just "there"...
Seems to be accurate and I haven't been shocked yet...! :shock:

·
Love The DCT
11,801 Posts
I've got WeatherBug on my Droid. It already has a pop-up that alerts if lightening is within 15mi. and closer. Didn't do anything special for it, was just "there"...
The link that wingwing posted is the first "free" lightning map I've seen that you can zoom in to a level that makes it very useful. :doorag:

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
I like!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Enclosed is a picture of the helmet of an F6B rider who was hit by lightning while trying to get home in an electrical storm. He did manage to pull off the side of the road and get the kick stand down. A friend managed to get the bike home.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Enclosed is a picture of the helmet of an F6B rider who was hit by lightning while trying to get home in an electrical storm. He did manage to pull off the side of the road and get the kick stand down. A friend managed to get the bike home.
Scary stuff..and most of us have had the opportunity at one time or another to be wearing this helmet. At times when riding in traffic the true intensity of a thunderstorm may not be realized until it is upon us. Shelter is the operative word here.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks for sharing, a handy tool for sure.

·
Registered
994 Posts
The link that wingwing posted is the first "free" lightning map I've seen that you can zoom in to a level that makes it very useful. :doorag:
Copy that... It's cool, too. :thumbup:

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
This will come in handy, thanks Dennis.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Firedog, I'm like you have the free Weatherbug app (on an iphone), shows the distance to the closest lightning and the lightning map lets you zoom down as close as you want to see the individual recorded lightning strikes. Have used this many times when out riding, to avoid certain areas.

Oh don't know about real time but when lightning struck a tree about 1,000 ft away last month, I looked outside to see what had been struck and then looked to see it was listed on the Weatherbug Spark app. However in looking at the app details it could be up to 60 second delay unless you force an update.

John

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was playing with the lightning web app (see first post) and found out if you zoom in, it shows the sound shock wave expanding out.

In this screen snapshot it looks like smoke rings around the strike but when viewed from the app they expand and fade just like the thunder would do..
.. neat stuff and just keeps getting better..

Dennis

1 - 16 of 16 Posts