GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about the weight limits. My Honda Manual says the weight limit for my 2010 Gold Wing GL-1800 is 410 pounds including rider/s, cargo & accessories. I have the level #4 Airbag model, which I would think would have additional weight over a level #1 trim, but there does not appear to be loading differences listed for different trim levels. So taking my bike for an example with dealer added accessories like a belly pan, luggage rack, bags, spoiler, lights, etc I would think could easily add up to an additional 15 to 20 pounds. I can also easily see an extra 20 pounds for luggage, safety items, etc. if packed for any kind of trip. I don’t consider myself a big person, but at the present in boots, helmet and riding gear I could weigh in at 220 pounds (I’ve got heavy bones). That would now leave about 150 pounds for the passenger including riding gear.

I am not trying to call anyone overweight, but after looking at a number of posted photos of riders and passengers it would appear that the Wing is being loaded at something exceeding the 410 pounds. I would like comments from some long-term riders as to what they are doing regarding the loading. When does safety and handling get compromised?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Many bikes, most bikes, two up exceed manufacturers ratings. I think they were asleep.

Just watch your tires, check them often. That is the real load value you do not want to exceed.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Too many DQ's

If we fatso's paid attention to the load limits, we would never ride anywhere. Load em up and head em out!:lol:

·
Registered
361 Posts
According to a few people on this forum Honda Engineers are Gods and know everything! So, exceeding the weight limits would certainly result in catastrophe!!!!

Watch out the flat earth police will be all over you in a heartbeat!!!

Me, I'll be watching for my wing to explode since I put one of "those" tires on it!!!:joke:

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I have a question about the weight limits. My Honda Manual says the weight limit for my 2010 Gold Wing GL-1800 is 410 pounds including rider/s, cargo & accessories. I have the level #4 Airbag model, which I would think would have additional weight over a level #1 trim, but there does not appear to be loading differences listed for different trim levels. So taking my bike for an example with dealer added accessories like a belly pan, luggage rack, bags, spoiler, lights, etc I would think could easily add up to an additional 15 to 20 pounds. I can also easily see an extra 20 pounds for luggage, safety items, etc. if packed for any kind of trip. I don’t consider myself a big person, but at the present in boots, helmet and riding gear I could weigh in at 220 pounds (I’ve got heavy bones). That would now leave about 150 pounds for the passenger including riding gear.

I am not trying to call anyone overweight, but after looking at a number of posted photos of riders and passengers it would appear that the Wing is being loaded at something exceeding the 410 pounds. I would like comments from some long-term riders as to what they are doing regarding the loading. When does safety and handling get compromised?
When one make enough lunch runs to look like this:

:joke:

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
It is an improbable limit that gives the manufacturer an out when it cracks. Whimpy cop out really.
I am 105kg before lunch. Add the wife and gear and you can easily overload these bikes?? I dont think so.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have the level #4 Airbag model, which I would think would have additional weight over a level #1 trim, but there does not appear to be loading differences listed for different trim levels.

Actually the level 4 has less available load as the GPS/ABS/airbag etc add more weight to the bike and take away available load.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Doesn't the weight limit have more to do with the tires than the motorcycle?

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
..So taking my bike for an example with dealer added accessories like
a belly pan, luggage rack, bags, spoiler, lights, etc
I would think could easily add up to an additional 15 to 20 pounds.
that, imho, is estimating too low...
It's VERY easy to pile up 50 lbs (or more) with after market "goodies".
.. add in a trailer hitch and "Transformer" passenger pegs
and you'll probably be approaching 75 lbs.

Purely based on my personal experience
(and, observations of how some arrive
and still manage to depart at these GoldWing "get-togethers")..
..the 'wing seems like it's max GW load is conservative by about 25%
.. IMHO, I don't think you need to get too concerned until that "410 lbs"
starts pushing much over 510 lbs

.. unless, you're trying to keep up with some of the TN boys in their own backyards...;)

.. and, if you ride it overloaded that much, plan on replacing the springs very soon

imho,
Dennis

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
As other have written, there is probably a factor of safety built into the Honda and tire limits. But, it is wise to be aware of how much load you are putting on the bike, the condition and load limit on the rear tire and the tire pressure. Extreme conditions like load, heat, and sustained speed can wreak havoc on the rear tire on a Goldwing. Check the condition and pressure of your tires often when you are pushing anythwhere near the limits. On any motorcycle, it is wise to be more aware than if you are in a car (less factor of safety).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all of your input.

So, if I read your posts right it is a whole lot safer to pile more weight on the Wing, because it can take it, than to tell mama she has to lose some weight before we go riding?

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Thanks for all of your input.

So, if I read your posts right it is a whole lot safer to pile more weight on the Wing, because it can take it, than to tell mama she has to lose some weight before we go riding?
YES you should LIVE through the first ONE the SECOND NOT LIKELY!!!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts