GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang,

I am complete with the accessories installation and have finalized the Spreadsheet. There were a couple of tips that I've added since the last version.

I installed the following Honda OEM accessories:
a) CB Radio, with radio, control head, antenna kit and PTT switch (which is actually a PULL to Talk switch).
b) Homelink
c) LED Foglights
d) LED Entry Lights (aka Puddle lights)
e) Passenger Audio Controller
f) Passenger CB PTT switch
g) Trunk (inner light when the trunk is opened) LED light
g) Passenger Arm Rests
h) Saddlebag and Trunk "carpets"
i) 12V accessory socket

Couple of things that I learned:

1. Almost any accessory installation (save passenger arm rests) is quite invasive. Anything that 'touches' the Control console requires removing the top shelter. To get the topshelter off (think air filter guys!) you have to remove the side fairings, the upper and lower internal fairings - both left and right, the right side internal bracket (goes over the right radiator area), the right and left, wind deflectors (and the after market upper and lower air deflectors if you have those too), and the right and left mirrors (I think that's it but there could be more!).

2. Stay organized! Whether that is using labeled baggies and a spreadsheet like I did, or something else, you WILL get confused if you don't have a method to keep it all organized.

3. The quality of the Honda OEM Accessories is excellent. Whoever Honda is using for vendors for these items, they were clearly familiar with the bike and it was a coordinated effort. For example, any item that requires drilling holes (accessory socket, LED Entry lights, CB Antenna) on the back side of the panel that needs to be drilled, are raised circles indicating where to drill. No measuring, no templates. Brilliant!

4. The instructions aren't terrible, but there are a couple of missing steps (or fasteners requiring removal) that were omitted in a few places. I made note of these on the spreadsheet. What the instructions are NOT good at though is giving any tips on HOW to do something. They simply say "remove as shown" and you are left looking at a drawing with no tips or tricks on HOW to remove said item. In many cases it is straight forward. In some, I would have really liked to have a clue and was in the dark figuring it out on my own. Example-on the passenger arm rest installation, there are two holes on each hinge side to receive a "nut plate." At first glance you think this nut plate will just slide into these holes, but they don't. There is a tiny raised groove in one of these holes. Solution - install the nut plate as far it will go, then (with no armrest bayonet in the way) take one of the supplied nuts and thread it into the nut plate. Tighten the nut and this will "pull" the nut plate flush, then you can back out the nut, and install the armrest.

Anyway, here is the link to a video I just shot.

And here is the link to the (really) final spreadsheet.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6lkcarph5aywej8/Accessories Installation Matrix_and Maintenace Log_2018_Goldwing_RevPublic.xlsx?dl=0

Cheers.

Matt

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hope it helps

mattc
YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!
That is going to save alot of time
GTO,
Hopefully it is helpful. Bare in mind that this was how I did this. How you do it will depend on what you are installing. Pick the most "aggressive" procedure and start with that. By "aggressive" I mean, the procedure that calls for taking the most stuff off the bike. Once you get to the point in THAT procedure that is telling you to start putting stuff back on..STOP..and go to the next most aggressive procedure...You will then have a bunch of stuff already done. Find the point where you can pick up the second procedure....Repeat this process until every procedure is telling you to start putting things back together...Then go back to the first procedure and pick up where you left off...going 'back up' if you will. Record all your steps in some way (spreadsheet, whatever) and then start backing up (going from the bottom of the spreadsheet and moving up) reversing things.

I HIGHLY recommend the baggies and the sharpie to keep yourself organized. It seems like a PITA when you're doing it, but when you are starting to put things back together and you know to go to bag "Z" or bag "D", man it makes it so much easier, and confidence inspiring because you KNOW you've got every part and aren't missing anything.

Good luck and have fun getting to know your new machine!

Matt

·
Registered
297 Posts
excel spreadsheet?

Nice write up I plan a few installs myself and your post will help greatly.

If you are willing .... do you have the ability to post the table in spreadsheet form? (excel ... or )

I use an apple iMac at home and the linked table is hard to view and prints strange.

Florida Brent

And here is the link to the (really) final spreadsheet.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6lkcarph5aywej8/Accessories Installation Matrix_and Maintenace Log_2018_Goldwing_RevPublic.xlsx?dl=0

Cheers.

Matt[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Matt,
Let me be the first to not understand your spreadsheet. Hopefully, I'm not the only one struggling with this. I wanted to see the steps for installing the passenger armrest. I scrolled over to it and scrolled down...nothing but a number nine towards the bottom. Maybe you could do a short video or post directions on how to read your spreadsheet for us not too smart people.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Matt,

Hopefully you can answer a question on the CB installation. Step 41 of the CB Switch (08E84) instructions specifies connecting the "Motorcycle's 8-Pin Waterproof Connector (Black)" to the CB Switch Harness. Is this Motorcycle connector one of the two on the left side which is disconnected in order to remove the Centre Switch Panel? This is the connector I used and expected that reconnecting the Centre Switch Panel before re-assembling the whole bike would allow me to test the CB. I could not turn the CB on (radio already installed) so either it is the wrong connector or I have to re-assemble the whole bike to test the CB (maybe a ground missing from one of the disconnected connectors). Thanks

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm, I can't really say as it has been so long since I did that job, but I do recall that he harness that goes to the CB control head (on the left handlebar) does indeed get placed IN LINE with one of those center panel connectors. I would think you could make all your connections without having to put all the bike back together to check the CB. But I would think you would need everything hooked up (for example, ALL FOUR of the connectors on the center panel being connected).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. I did have all four of of the centre panel reconnected. Guess I'll have to put it all back together and hope.

·
Registered
206 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
What a great spreadsheet, something an engineer such as myself can appreciate. Thanks for sharing. I will begin my accessory install this week. I have spent a fair bit of time reviewing the instruction sheets on line and reviewing Cruiseman's Garage videos, as well as other tip sheets from Wingcon, et al. I feel well prepared and appreciate everyone who has weighed in to help. This may seem like a daunting task, but I love to do this and I have the time to do this, retired. It is a great way to get to know my new bike better.

My accessory list includes:
1. Fog lights
2. Entry Lights
3. 12v Accessory socket
4. Home Link
5. Trunk Rack
6. high mount LED brake light
7. Trunk interior light
8. Third party secondary fuse block
9. Visor clips to hold my i-Phone inside the shelter compartment

My work plan is to divide the tear down into three parts, so that I don't have too many loose parts lying around at one time. I will re-assemble each part before proceeding to the next.
a) upper front end - install items 1 (switch only), 2, 3, 4 (switches only), 9
b) back end - install items 4 (HL unit), 5, 6, 7, 8
c) lower front end - install item 1 (the fog light harness is being delivered, actual lights are delayed) .

As I take each component off, I intend to tape the screws / fastners to the part. If there are a lot, I will put in a small baggie and tape the baggie to the part. I will use nail polish to mark screws if different sizes are involved on a given part. Hope my wife has enough colors.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glad it can be of help. I was Aerospace engineering at the naval academy. I recommend being very organized with the parts and labeling the order of disassembly, then reversing for assembly. Consider one of the sharpie "paint pens" (gray works well) for labeling connectors (i.e. A to A, B to B, etc) Good luck!

·
Registered
71 Posts
If the bike is already stripped down how long (hours) would it take to install the following items (excluding strip down time and time to put everything back on) so just to install the actual item.

LED entry lights
Led foglight kit
Led foglight
Let trunk light
12v acessory socket
USB cord
XM antenna
Homelike

If you are able to break it down per item that would be freaking outstanding!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
tough question straphanger

If the bike is already stripped down how long (hours) would it take to install the following items (excluding strip down time and time to put everything back on) so just to install the actual item.

LED entry lights
Led foglight kit
Led foglight
Let trunk light
12v acessory socket
USB cord
XM antenna
Homelike

If you are able to break it down per item that would be freaking outstanding!

So, there really is no way to break it down like that straphanger. Assuming the bike is truly stripped down, which I doubt it is completely (for example I found removing the right saddlebag top cowl (not the lid, but the cowl that would hold the pax audio controller panel, was quite helpful when doing the CB install, which I know you aren't doing, but that's just an example).

But I can speak a little to each of your items:

LED entry lights - these won't take too long. The drill points are marked on the backside of the panels that these get installed. Assuming those are already off, I'm guess less than an hour, maybe 30 minutes for this one.

Led foglight kit - not too tough, again less than an hour

Led foglight - once the kit is installed plan on another half hour for the lights themselves

Led trunk light - I'm guessing there is still some stripping down you haven't done to really do this one. You have to remove the entire trunk lid, invert it, remove the inner trunk liner, install the trunk light, then re-install everything in reverse. This is probably a couple hours easy. TAKE CARE WHEN INVERTING THE TRUNK TO REMOVE THE INNER LINER NOT TO BREAK OFF THE LITTLE "HOOK/TANG" THINGEE, THAT is used to route the wire bundle that lives on the 'ridge' of the back seat. This is actually called out in the instructions (not to bust this tang) but my shop broke it off installing the trunk rack (which I did not discover until I was installing the LED trunk light).

12v acessory socket - pretty easy, say half an hour. Pre marked drill point is on the panel.

USB cord - don't know, didn't do this

XM antenna - half hour IF you get the routing of the harnesses right the first time. I did not! The pics in the instructions are kinda hard to follow to get the routing done properly. Take your time and REALLY look at the instruction pics. Realistically - 45 mins

Homelink - The homelink "brick" lives in the right saddlebag. Harnesses have to be routed. The button needs to be installed on the control panel and another harness up there. Plan on 2 hours for this one. Add another 20 minutes to program your garage door opener and test operation (preferably before you button the bike all the way back up!)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Outstanding thanks for the break down. I'm seriously thinking of having the bike painted by a dealer so figured I would have them install these items while the bike is stripped. However, I don't want them quoting the time to strip the bike down and but it back together in the time to install the accessories since the time to strip it down and but it back together is included in the quote to paint.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Holy cow! This is professional grade. What a great resource. How did you track all of this and record all the steps so thoroughly? I am in awe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts