GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my 2012 with 23,000 miles on it at the dealership for the third time, for a leaking final drive. The big seal in the final drive has been changed 2 times all ready in the last month and a half. They are saying to change it again, for a third time, and of course the dealer does not have one in stock and has to order it. The service manager wants to change out the final drive for a new one but at this time Honda is not authorizing this for a repair.

With the second seal I made it about 100 miles before the leak showed up again. Why is it they want to tie the hands of a dealership that wants to make things right and keep there customers happy?

The Honda Rep that he is dealing with says that they have not seen this problem so just put another seal in it. Just making me want to look into something else if that is the way they want to treat there customers. I like my Wing but I am really starting to get Peed off.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I would contact Honda Of America ASAP and file a complaint with them. There is something warped back there that is tearing up your seals. You also have a case for the lemon law " just a thought " Good Luck.

·
Registered
293 Posts
That sux because something is obviously wrong with the surface the seal runs against.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
I would contact Honda Of America ASAP and file a complaint with them. There is something warped back there that is tearing up your seals. You also have a case for the lemon law " just a thought " Good Luck.
The problem may be external to the final drive also. Like a drive shaft out of balance.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Even though its under warranty, I'd be tempted to just buy a used or like new final drive from a trike shop and install it yourself just to do away with the dealer frustration and further problems. You can get the whole thing complete for around $100.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I would simply install a new Trike take-off.

Taking the rear drive apart and installing a new seal is more advanced than just the seal. Proper shimming of the gear train and pinion gear must be done or yes it will only leak again.

With the cost of parts, labor and aggravation and lack of knowledge at most dealerships, a new rear drive off another bike where the bike was Trike'd makes the most sense.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I'd want the Dealer or Honda to tell me what the "Root Cause" of the multiple failures is. I'd guess that Honda believes that the Dealer Technician isn't installing the replacement seal correctly and the Dealer Technician thinks that there is "something" that is causing the seal to fail but doesn't know precisely what that "something" is (although he may offer his "opinions"). This sort of finger pointing does little for the credibilitiy of either and absolutely nothing for you as the owner. I would suggest that you call Honda and ask for them to act as "The Adult in the Room". They can certainly look at the seal(s) that failed and tell exactly what the cause of failure is/was. After that, a solution can be identified and engaged.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
I'd want the Dealer or Honda to tell me what the "Root Cause" of the multiple failures is. I'd guess that Honda believes that the Dealer Technician isn't installing the replacement seal correctly and the Dealer Technician thinks that there is "something" that is causing the seal to fail but doesn't know precisely what that "something" is (although he may offer his "opinions"). This sort of finger pointing does little for the credibilitiy of either and absolutely nothing for you as the owner. I would suggest that you call Honda and ask for them to act as "The Adult in the Room". They can certainly look at the seal(s) that failed and tell exactly what the cause of failure is/was. After that, a solution can be identified and engaged.

Bingo!
the truck dealers that I worked for required that the cause of a failure be established before a part was replaced, and the OEM would not pay us for the repair without the cause listed in the warranty claim.

Repeat failures were not usually addressed by just throwing another part at it either. They wanted to know why so there would not be a third failure.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Well Gang,
If you stand back and take a look at this situation, there's a couple of schools of thought here. One, the OP buys a bike brand new and, expects it to go for a long time without issue, as we all do. But, as in just about anything man-made, it has tendency to break. Now, this is why "warranty" is developed and supplied. Manufacturers are supplying warranty with all new vehicles, motorcycles, trucks and much more. They are mandated to. Some go the extra distance and really reach out to the customer with extra long warranties. KIA comes to mind on this.

Now, for any of us that have warranty on our bikes, and, if and when a problem crops up, we'd like it repaired, the correct way, with the correct parts, in a timely manor. Does it always happen that way? Well, not all the time.

Yes, the OP CAN simply purchase a used (all be it fairly new) "Trike take off" and, quite possibly be done with the problem for maybe, ever. But, he, like many of us, have paid for warranty and, expect it to be performed as promised. It is too bad that the problem is persisting. Most folks, techs, dealers, people, WITH COMMON SENSE, would figure there's a problem after the first replacement seal, had to be replaced again and, would look into the cause. After all, it's costing the dealer and the manufacturer time and money to keep goofing around with the same repair over and over.

Honda normally doesn't do that kind of non-sense with their auto side. If and when their autos break under warranty, it's fixed the right way, the first time.

He can, as stated, go purchase a trike take off and be done with it and, most likely ride off into the sunset and never have the problem again. But, AT HIS COST. No one likes to get ugly with dealer/tech/manufacturer confrontations. It happens once in a while. So, the right way is to make the dealer fix it, but, just how to get them to do it so that the problem does not come back, is another story. Good luck.
Scott

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a spare FD on the shelf in the garage but this is honda's issue. I thought about putting it on myself but why should I Honda just needs to step up and threat MC owners as well as their auto customers.

The o my problem with going to another dealer is that this is the best in the area, and they usually are very good. Honda claims that this is a very unusual thing that they have not seen.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I am a millwright and in my years of replacing seals I have found that if you don't replace the bearing or bushing the seal will go again. Just Saying.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
The Honda Rep that he is dealing with says that they have not seen this problem.
It seems like this quote could be used on every single repair that Honda has been asked to warrant. And yet if you talk to the shop they always know of at least two or three others that have had the same problem that you now have, regardless of the problem. Honda's first response is ALWAYS "They have not seen this problem."

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
It seems like this quote could be used on every single repair that Honda has been asked to warrant. And yet if you talk to the shop they always know of at least two or three others that have had the same problem that you now have, regardless of the problem. Honda's first response is ALWAYS "They have not seen this problem."
I was at the dealer and saw the Honda Rep so I tried to talk to him about the hesitation on my 2012 . He said that they have never heard of it before but about a month early he had told my dealer to replace my idle air valve to try to fix my bike. I have worked in Honda dealerships from 1965-1983 in motorcycles 1983-2002 in cars. I got more help from a car rep than I did from my motorcycle rep. The Honda motorcycle side has sure went down hill from the way it used to be. Seams like they don't give a ***** about the bike customers anymore.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Don't think this crap would be going on if Mr Honda was still around

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,198 Posts
I am a millwright and in my years of replacing seals I have found that if you don't replace the bearing or bushing the seal will go again. Just Saying.
:agree: If the sealing surfaces are not damaged/burred then I would be looking at the ring gear bearing for wear or slop. At this point Honda should just replace the whole drive and take the old one back to analyze it for the cause.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Honda makes great bikes, but, THE COMPANY SUKS BIG TIME!!!!
I WOULD NEVER BUY ANOTHER HONDA BECAUSE OF THIS...

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree with what everyone is saying, and so does the service manager. I am seriously looking at a new Ultra Limited, for less money than a level 3 and all the bells and whistles to boot. I hate to give up on Honda, but it is really becoming quite disappointing that when you need a part the dealer has to order it. Even something as simple as a front fender bolt. Don't get me wrong I love my Wing but what can you expect if you are 2 thousand miles from home and you can't even get a simple bolt. Now I don't expect a dealer to have every part on hand but I have had 2 Wings now in the past 4 years and every repair that they have been at the dealer for they have had to order the parts to do the repair. On my 01 it was an O2 sensor.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I would just change out everything , final drive and driveshaft It cost me $ 200 for an almost new and about an hour and a halve of my time , your problom would be solved and problom free for 100,000 plus miles

1 - 20 of 38 Posts