GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to replacing the brake pads on the OrangeRush today but I had a little trouble with the rear caliper. I did not remove the caliper and just tried to push it inward to push the pistons in. It did not seem to move so I went ahead and removed the pads and pushed the pistons most of the way in by hand. Able to install the new pads but the caliper doesn't seem to release far enough and makes it hard to turn the wheel by hand. It doesn't free spin as it did before new pads. After a test ride it spins a little better but I still have some tension. I can't remember if this is completly normal or if I should look to do something different. Any suggestions would be apprecitated.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Here is a quick and easy possible remedy. On one of my old cars when I would attempt to squeeze the pistons back into the calipers it was very difficult and they would come back out after removal of my c-clamp. What I found was happening was that pressure was being built up in the master cylinder. All that needed to be done was to loosen the bail that held the master cylinder cover on. You might try that trick on your wing. Just pull the right side cover and remove then replace the rear master cylinder cover to bleed off any trapped pressure. You may as well go ahead and do the same thing with the front master cylinder while you are at it. Just be very careful and not spill even one drop of brake fluid on any painted surface.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Normally there is a slight amount of drag on rooter with disk brakes. You should be able to rotate the wheel easily with one finger and you may hear a little rubbing noise from the brake pad, this is normal. Unless you have recently replaced your brake fluid you may want to do it now, as you have just pushed the old dirty fluid back into your master cylinder.
It's also possible that if your master cylinder was full before you started, you have now compressed the rubber bellows inside it and it is now applying pressure on your rear brake pad. Take your right side cover off and remove the master cylinder cover carefully as some fluid may come out and see of your problem goes away.

:yw1:

·
Registered
469 Posts
just ah thought

When i put new brake pads on, i remove th brake fluid reservior cover first & completly empty th old fluid with ah syringe. Then i colapse th pistons in th calipers by pushin th old pads all th way open, this fills th fluid resivior with more old fluid which i remove with ah syringe, then clean th fluid resivior with ah clean towel. I refill th fluid reservior with fresh fluid before touchin th brake lever. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
626 Posts
Did you clean the dirt off the pistions before you pushed them back?? :shock: If you didn't you just pushed all that dirt into the seals and this will result with the sympton you are describing, heavy drag on the rotor when brake is released. The fix is replace the seals. :cry:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Fox

In all th years i've been fixin brakes on cars & bikes & for th last 74,000 miles i've owned my Wing I aint never cleaned no dirt off no pistons & never had ah problem. I can spin th rear wheel of my 01 Wing with ah push of ah finger, with only th normal slight drag of th pads on th rotor. I do think if ya wanted to do it "by th book" you should clean th pistons off before ya push em in & lubricate em with clean brake fluid, it caint hurt. I just never saw th need ta do all that. :mrgreen: Yer Pal

·
Registered
626 Posts
Ron

To each his own on the way to do it, just offering a possible cause to his problem, and yes I have seen dirt in the pistion seals cause the drag from time to time over the years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts