GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased the 14 dvd maintenance set a while back and thought that it covered just about everything until I tried to find a section covering the rear brake caliper. I wanted to change my brake disks and while the front was covered the rear caliper is different and was not touched upon. I am not complaining, but does anyone know where I might be able to see how the rear caliper works. I am not sure which bolts are mounting bolts. I checked the repair manual and it is not very clear about how to remove the caliper. Don't want to make any stupid mistakes. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Same as the front, 'cept 5 times easier. Pull the pin, the brake pads fall right out.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
You don't need 14 DVDs to change the rear disk pads - just a lug wrench. Take off the rear wheel, pull the two pins and the pads fall out. Put in the new ones, push them apart so you can get the brake disk in, and put them back together.

·
Chard Member
12,970 Posts
He wants to remove the caliper....... not the pads!

Two bolts holds the caliper in place.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Red said:
He wants to remove the caliper....... not the pads!
:oops: :bow: :sparkplug:

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
OK - here is a close up of the caliper. The bolts with the anti-lock are the mounting bolts, one in each end. Also have two hoses that have to come off if you are taking off the caliper. There are two small pins on the outer part of the caliper that hold in the pads.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts