GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from Daytona and while there the rear brake started to grab and chatter at low speeds. Seems ok at high speeds, but the thought of it grabbing at highway speeds is scarry. This a non ABS bike. Any ideas?

·
Registered
34 Posts
There are a lot of Wings that do this. Mine is one of them. It happens most when it is hot out and at slow speeds. There has been many posts about this. There is no answer so far. People have replaced pads, rotors, fluid, lines, valves, linked brakes, etc. Some think it is from the front brake. Mine stops chattering when I apply the front brake but I think all this does is add pressure to the rear to change it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply Paul. It was hot down there this year, so I guess that was it and I won't worry about it. Also had a o2 sensor go on the way down (from NC) and a battery die while I was there. And I had a really bad cold. Great Trip!!!

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Is this chatter due to the design of the floating calipers on the brakes?

(At least this is what my dealer's service manager told me... who is a Goldwing owner...)

G

·
0 Posts
capt fred said:
Just got back from Daytona and while there the rear brake started to grab and chatter at low speeds. Seems ok at high speeds, but the thought of it grabbing at highway speeds is scarry. This a non ABS bike. Any ideas?

OK I'm dumb..what is exactly is brake grabbing...sticking? locking onto the disc? :?:

·
Registered
34 Posts
It pulses like when you have a bad rotor on a car, which turns into a vibration. As soon as it cools off it goes away. They have changed pads and rotors and not solved it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts