GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the gas station yesterday when I saw a GW (2006-2010) had the back brakes lock up on him and he could not move it. He mentioned that he had the brakes work on the day before (he had it towed back to the shop). My question is if this happens when I am on a ride, could I have loosen the bleeder (8mm wrench) on the rear brake to release the pressure.
Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
You could try that but it is likely not the problem. Sticking brake pistons is most likely the problem. His brake guy probably just dropped the old brake pads out and put new ones in without cleaning off the baked on brake dust from the pistons. Also another way that could happen is the brake line could collapse inside and hold the fluid in without letting it back out. This rarely happens but can.

·
Registered
16,975 Posts
I've been there. I got the pressure off like you speculated and then dropped the pads to find the pad spring damaged. Not sure what the cause was, but maybe I had previously assembled with new pads and did not get the spring in place or the pad's dog ears in the slots. No problems since replacing the pad spring and now I visually inpsect that the ears are in the slots.

prs

·
Vendor
17,790 Posts
The pads were probably installed incorrectly. Look at the inboard pad, through the wheel from the left side. The top ear is probably out of place, cocked the pad, and now locked up (mechanically) the rear wheel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts