GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many miles are you folks getting before rear brake pad change? I'm at 21K and rear pedal seems to be going away.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I like to change mine both front & back each year right before I go on vacation, which is at approx 35000mi

·
Registered
59 Posts
brake replace

Mine, fronts were at about 26K, then about 51K, every other tire change, it seems. Rear were about 32K and am going to replace again before Wing DIng at 61K.
I DONOT reuse or swap pads left/right. $40 for brakes is cheap insurance for a panic stop that might save my life!!! Not worth risking safety for 1/2 worn pads as others have posted.
Ride safe..

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Changed my rear at 12,000 miles.They were not down to the wear groove, but compared to the front they were half as thick and pedal travel was getting lower and lower. Glad I did because I found a screw lodged in the rear tire and I had a trip to the twisties scheduled the next day in WV. I had a great ride to Seneca Rocks on my new ME 880. Fronts are still the original at 23,000 and since a new set is hanging on the peg board I'm putting them on this summer

·
Registered
16,862 Posts
Rear peddle "going away" is not a symptom of worn pads. Change and bleed the fluid. You can remove, inspect and replace the pads in about 15 minutes of easy duty.

prs

·
Registered
619 Posts
TNART,
I have 52,000 on the rear and they are about 1/2 worn (compared to new Honda pads). But, I'm a "front-braker". I wear out 2 sets of fronts per set of rear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts