GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gl1800 2008. Am looking at moving my rear brake pads to the front and replacing the rear with new and one new front pad set. Has anyone else done this?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
As I understand it they will fit but won't one side front set be wore more/less than the other side? It shouldn't matter with operation issue since they are independent but won't replacement intervals will get jumbled up?

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Gl1800 2008. Am looking at moving my rear brake pads to the front and replacing the rear with new and one new front pad set. Has anyone else done this?
No I haven’t. I’m more inclined to replace all 3 sets no matter what was left on the old one’s, if any are needed.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
All three OEM pad sets are different part #s. I don't think they are interchangeable.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Replacing pads

When I replace brake pads, I'd like them to last. I don't want to reuse old parts and decrease the maintenance interval. When I look at the cost of riding a Goldwing, brake pads are not even on the list. Generally, I'm not hard on my brake pads. I just took the rears off at 49K miles and they were not dead yet. I replaced the front pads at 38K miles. I save money on brake pads by getting a good price on them from Partzilla rather than reusing old ones.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Replaced a front tire couple months back. I think it is the front left that always wears out first. I noticed they were thin so i put a set in that I had saved from the rear a couple years ago that had a lot of life left. Will probably last another 20k then I will replace them all. Nothing wrong with it. Waste not want not.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
If you do it, sand the pad face on some abrasive paper on a flat surface, around in circles and change your grip occasionally so as not to slant them with pressure. Bed em in gently to the discs.

·
Vendor
17,811 Posts
Why would you do that ??? If there is still usable pad on the rear, why not wear that pad out there, and get a new set for the front ??? The cost is about the same.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Why would you do that ??? If there is still usable pad on the rear, why not wear that pad out there, and get a new set for the front ??? The cost is about the same.
Because, since the rear pads are thicker than the front, if they are worn to approximately the thickness of the front ones then moved to the front the bike will have the equivalent of new pads in the front. The rears can be replaced with full thickness pads so for the cost of one set of rear pads the bike has full thickness pads on one front caliper and the rear caliper. The second front caliper can be dealt with separately dependent on the wear there. Is it a big saving? Nope, but it is both eco friendly and money saving - what's not to like!? :wink2:

·
Vendor
17,811 Posts
Because, since the rear pads are thicker than the front, if they are worn to approximately the thickness of the front ones then moved to the front the bike will have the equivalent of new pads in the front. The rears can be replaced with full thickness pads so for the cost of one set of rear pads the bike has full thickness pads on one front caliper and the rear caliper. The second front caliper can be dealt with separately dependent on the wear there. Is it a big saving? Nope, but it is both eco friendly and money saving - what's not to like!? :wink2:
The down side to doing that is that the used rear pads being move to the front then gets reseated to a different rotor. Also, usually pads don't wear evenly from side-to-side, and from heal-to-toe. None of that means that your brakes will not be safe, but as a set, they will be faster wearing.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Yeh, but I previously suggested if they were moved, to sand them flat. 15 seconds on a sheet of abrasive paper.

·
Vendor
17,811 Posts
Yeh, but I previously suggested if they were moved, to sand them flat. 15 seconds on a sheet of abrasive paper.
I saw that ... that basically means that the rear pads wore into the rear rotor when installed, got sanded on, and then got to wear into the front rotor too. If the object is to make a pair of pads wear fast, that is one way to do it.

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts

I'm not trying to be snarky here; I really want to understand: They'll fit, but what are you gaining? Instead of buying two front sets of pads, you're buying a rear set and a front set. You're still buying, and changing, two sets of pads.

And someone said it's better for the environment. How? Aren't you still tossing two sets of pads?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
To answer the OP... Yes this can be done. But for me, I keep at least one complete set, front and rear of new OEM Honda brake pads on hand. Get em when they are on sale so there is no issue when it comes time for brake work. I like to have maintenance parts here home on hand. Not wait until the last minute.

In fact I have 2 full sets waiting in the wings! For the Wing. So I don't have to wing it. Makes me want some Wings.... Off to Buffalo Wild Wings!:biker:

Corventure Dave

·
Vendor
17,811 Posts
This forum has changed so much. I remember when there was a gang that promoted doing exactly what the OP is asking about, and if others spoke up questioning why, the gang would start on any one who thought it was a bad idea, and they would badgered the others death. The same was true for on going maintenance, like air filter, brake and clutch fluid changes every 12k, coolant changes, and valve adjustments. In fact the "gang" would recommend checking without de-tensioning of which there was no spec for.

Fortunately, the members have become smart. Certainly all the overheating issues because of poor cooling system maintenance, and SB-23 where Honda blames the owners for a lack of maintenance has greatly helped too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts