GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the bike for 3 years now and don't really know if the problem has always been there.

This year at 35000 miles I replaced all the brakes. After replacing them I noticed that the rear brakes pedal traveled down allot. But if I pumped it it works fine. I made an appointment at the local bike shop to bleed the brakes.

The guy own his own GW1800 and knows what he's doing. He bleed the brakes but the same problem is still there. And if the rear brake is applied by it self the Anti-drive unit give way and makes a bottoming noise.

Today my friend which owns a car shop followed the manual and ran about 4 oz. threw the front and rear brakes. Problem will not go away. He said it might be the rear brake actuator.

While riding down the road if I apply the front brake first the back brake works fine.

Any Ideals

·
Registered
338 Posts
Go back and re-bleed the brakes again. There is probably a small air bubble in the last bleed screw you did. I have had bikes come in with a low pedal and it was the last bleed screw where the problem was.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
It is the proportioning valve..........some of them get to doing that.

Also have found that pulling fluid with vacuum does not always work so well and you must follow a manual bleed for the rear pedal sometimes.

Not sure why, just know it is so.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Another Possibility

A defective rear brake master cylinder can do that also.Don't overlook that.It is a 2002 and the repair kit is not expensive. Try that.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Same Problem

Just read your post n Im having the same problem see my post Have you had any luck yet Im going to tie back into it soon n try bleeding the heck out of it Wish I hadnt ran the resivoir out

Ron

·
Registered
138 Posts
It has been my experience that you need to pull the caliper, clean the slide pins and bushings, grease pins and bushings with dielectric grease, put it back together and you should be good to go. Pumping the pedal is expanding the frame of the caliper until all gets snug not because it has air in the line.

Just my $.02.

Has always worked for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts