GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to give everyone a heads up. My new 2014 Level 3 has a brake problem. Bike has 1100miles on it now. During the 2 months since I bought it, the rear brakes have become an issue. At first I thought it may be something I'm doing. But its the bike. When riding at speed and approaching a turn or curve, you apply the front and rear brakes to reduce speed, then when you release the brakes and twist the throttle to resume speed, the bike strains as if the brakes are on. If you pull in the clutch the bike will slow quickly. If you touch the rear brake several times, it will resume as normal. Bike goes to dealer Thursday. I looked up info on Google and found there was an issue on previous models. I think it still exist.

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
just want to give everyone a heads up. My new 2014 level 3 has a brake problem. Bike has 1100miles on it now. During the 2 months since i bought it, the rear brakes have become an issue. At first i thought it may be something i'm doing. But its the bike. When riding at speed and approaching a turn or curve, you apply the front and rear brakes to reduce speed, then when you release the brakes and twist the throttle to resume speed, the bike strains as if the brakes are on. If you pull in the clutch the bike will slow quickly. If you touch the rear brake several times, it will resume as normal. Bike goes to dealer thursday. I looked up info on google and found there was an issue on previous models. I think it still exist.

sounds like maybe a bad rear brake master cylinder or trash in system not letting calipers release. My o9 did this and it was a rear master brake master cylinder. Have dealer check color of brake disk for burning.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
My '08 had gunk build up in the pistons in the rear brake and in the rear master and the brakes were not releasing normally but it didn't become an issue until last fall. I hadn't flushed the fluid often enough. I don't see how that could be the issue on a bike as new as yours though.

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
That trash usually is on top of banjo bolt top of rear master cylinder and solid steel tube to rear brake

·
Registered
408 Posts
I had a similar problem, but I created it. On the rear brake pads IT IS POSSIBLE to install the pads so they APPEAR to be installed correctly but are not. I was able to slide the pads in 3 times without the top tab of the pad going in the grove that they are supposed to align with. Everything goes together without a hitch but it will cause everything to wear prematurely and rear break will drag.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Did you have the brake recall done!
Your problem may fall under that.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
I had a similar problem, but I created it. On the rear brake pads IT IS POSSIBLE to install the pads so they APPEAR to be installed correctly but are not. I was able to slide the pads in 3 times without the top tab of the pad going in the grove that they are supposed to align with. Everything goes together without a hitch but it will cause everything to wear prematurely and rear break will drag.
Yep, I had that happen to me too. It was perceived that the pads were in correctly, and the brakes worked. I was on my way to Yellowstone from Chicago area and noticed a ticking noise as the wheel rotated, noticed only in the parking lots while parking the bike. Turns out the pads missed the lower notch and were rubbing on the rotor rivets, making the ticking noise. Took about three tries to get the pads in the caliper correctly.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
This one should not be involved in the recall, being a new one...right?
I don't know if it falls under that recall or not, but being a 2014 the dealer should be involved regardless.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Notified Honda and took it to the dealer. Dealer checked rear rotor and said it was blue. Dealer contacted Honda And sent them a picture of rotor. Honda said it wasn't under recall. Honda asked dealer to keep bike, ride bike to try and replicate the problem. I'm at home without a bike, waiting for a phone call.

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
Notified Honda and took it to the dealer. Dealer checked rear rotor and said it was blue. Dealer contacted Honda And sent them a picture of rotor. Honda said it wasn't under recall. Honda asked dealer to keep bike, ride bike to try and replicate the problem. I'm at home without a bike, waiting for a phone call.
Waiting to see how this one plays out. Hope the dealer can duplicate the problem otherwise you may get the run-around from Honda.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I notified Honda and the dealer so it would be on record. If they test it and can't duplicate the problem, but the symptoms are the same as a previous recall, I would think they would at least verify the operation or specs. of the recall parts. This is a safety issue which could get someone badly hurt.

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
I notified Honda and the dealer so it would be on record. If they test it and can't duplicate the problem, but the symptoms are the same as a previous recall, I would think they would at least verify the operation or specs. of the recall parts. This is a safety issue which could get someone badly hurt.
one of the ways is to look at color of the rotors and honda will have a spect for wheel brake drag. Get it on record if brakes start to lock up the throttle will not help you get off the road.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts