GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With only 1500 miles, my rear brake is not very useful. I noticed it this weekend with wife onboard. It just barely slows bike down. It wasn't much different with my 2008 wing. I was hoping for better stopping power.
It's a 2018 dct tour and I do not ride the rear break.
Does anyone else feel the same?

·
Registered
420 Posts
I found the pedal is a bit further below the foot peg, causing an unnatural movement or position. I just about always use the front and the rear together when stopping. Maybe a limitation of ball of the foot pressing down?

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Considering front brakes provide 60% - 80% of braking capability, why would you expect using only the rear brake to do much for you?

Reactions: 84547 and thekid

·
Registered
65 Posts
The rear brake seems about as powerful as I would expect which is not very much. On my track bike I have only used the rear brake once in 12 years (when I ran off into the dirt), so I'm out of the habit.

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
With only 1500 miles, my rear brake is not very useful. I noticed it this weekend with wife onboard. It just barely slows bike down. It wasn't much different with my 2008 wing. I was hoping for better stopping power.
It's a 2018 dct tour and I do not ride the rear break.
Does anyone else feel the same?
I haven't looked at the rear brake pedal position. on a 2018 . But on my 2009 if your pedal needs to be adjusted up a little so you can get more pressure on it may be all you need. I made a big different for me.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
My rear brake is pretty much as I expect. It helps a lot when used with the front lever and works for parking lot drills. I use the front to trail brake in the twisties. The rear peddle does travel more than I desire before taking effect; much like my 2002 before the Rocky bleed steps were known. In practicing emergency stops, I note that the rear will lock the rear tire if applied too quickly so how much more could be better? Applying both in a progressive manner results in maximum braking performance as it loads the front suspension and plants the front rubber to the road.

prs

Reactions: Drgsin
1 - 8 of 8 Posts