GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this 08 ABS wing 3 months ago. I bought the bike from an older gentleman and he and his wife mainly rode it two up. It had the rear brake recall done 2700 miles ago at 19,000 miles and the brakes work fine in every day riding.

I have been getting out to practice slow speed maneuvers. I am finding that while using the rear brake in slow turns it is very sensitive compared to the other wings I have owned. It's very difficult to be smooth and the brake tends to want to grab when trying to apply more braking in the turn.

Any suggestions as to what I can do to fix this?

Thanks for the help,
Don

·
Vendor
16,021 Posts
I bought this 08 ABS wing 3 months ago. I bought the bike from an older gentleman and he and his wife mainly rode it two up. It had the rear brake recall done 2700 miles ago at 19,000 miles and the brakes work fine in every day riding.

I have been getting out to practice slow speed maneuvers. I am finding that while using the rear brake in slow turns it is very sensitive compared to the other wings I have owned. It's very difficult to be smooth and the brake tends to want to grab when trying to apply more braking in the turn.

Thanks for the help,
Don
Mileage is often helpful.

I'm assuming this a 2-whl'd Wing. Is your rear brake peddle and foot peg OEM and adjusted correctly ??? What kind of brake pads are being used ??? Have you inspected the braking system and rotors ... any grease or road grease on the rotors or pads ???

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not a trike. The pegs are fixed so can't be adjusted and the brake pedal is in the correct position. I imagine the brake pads are stock since the recall work was done by a Honda dealership. The original owner had all work done on the bike by a dealership.

I know of no way to adjust the brake pedal, other than rotating it up or down on the shaft.
I see no evidence of fluid leaks, rotor or pad contamination.

I have done emergency stop drills and the bike stops as it should. (this is my third GL1800) It is just very touchy when doing slow speed maneuvering and working the friction zone (like shown on Ride like a pro videos).

This could be that I am just out of practice since I had to lay off riding for 4 years. I'm just curious if anyone knows of a fix if there is one or is this just how the brake might behave after the recall fix.

·
Chard Member
12,686 Posts
Anything foreign on the rotors or pads? Too aggressive pads in the rear? You can’t assume it has OEM pads!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Advice by Greg and Red is spot-on. I upgraded my pads on my '08 Airbag and found the rear way to touchy and sensitive for really hard riding. Fronts were fine and I kept them, but went back to OEM Honda pads on the rear. I would pull yours to do a general inspection and check what they are.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Echo the advice of replacing with OEM pads.
For me it takes hardly any time at all swapping out the rear pads.

·
Vendor
16,021 Posts
It's not a trike. The pegs are fixed so can't be adjusted and the brake pedal is in the correct position. I imagine the brake pads are stock since the recall work was done by a Honda dealership. The original owner had all work done on the bike by a dealership.

I know of no way to adjust the brake pedal, other than rotating it up or down on the shaft.
I see no evidence of fluid leaks, rotor or pad contamination.

I have done emergency stop drills and the bike stops as it should. (this is my third GL1800) It is just very touchy when doing slow speed maneuvering and working the friction zone (like shown on Ride like a pro videos).

This could be that I am just out of practice since I had to lay off riding for 4 years. I'm just curious if anyone knows of a fix if there is one or is this just how the brake might behave after the recall fix.
In relationship to an OEM foot peg, and OEM brake lever should sit about in the 2:30 position. Just because the work was done at a dealer, don't assume they use OEM pads ... many do not. I'd still inspect the pads, and clean the rotors with BrakeClean (red can) to eliminate the possibility of road contamination.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can I tell if pads are OEM or not without taking them off? I have brake cleaner and will go over them well. Brake pedal is right where it should be. Thanks Greg

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
There is a fine adjust adjustment for the rear brake pedal. It's hidden behind the frame if I remember correctly. Sounds like that's not the problem though.

It might be the adjusting rod for the rear master cly. It been a long time since I was under there!

Rayjoe

·
Registered
590 Posts

Thanks for the help,
Don
FWIW, mine is the same way as yours. And as you noted elsewhere, we have the same year and model. Mines at 30,000 with new front pads. Dunno about the back pads history.

·
Registered
16,484 Posts
Removing the rear pads on that bike is a piece of cake. Check the install of the pads either way to make sure they have their ears in the slots and pad springs are intact. De-glaze the rotor if it is in spec. Your pads may be contaminated with oil. Could be a good time to go over the whole brake system front and rear.

prs

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FWIW, mine is the same way as yours. And as you noted elsewhere, we have the same year and model. Mines at 30,000 with new front pads. Dunno about the back pads history.
I took the bike out his weekend into the culdesac and set up some slalom cones. I noticed I need to be very careful with how much pressure I am applying while working the course. I also noticed when I get fatigued I begin to stab the brakes a little more. I also noticed the brakes get a little bit of a squeal to them when getting warm. That really is showing me how much the linked brake system is applying the front brakes. I plan on doing some inspecting of the front and rear brakes as well as fluid levels.

I am a litte hesitant to having to bleed the brake system since I did it on my 06, following the bleeding procedure very carefully, and I ended up with a bit of a shudder on the rear brakes from then on. I am familiar with working on brakes and bleeding systems so I was surprised I had that happen.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
BTW, both the lever and the pedal are "linked" to front and rear brakes so there is no "rear" brake control on a GL1800. The lever is biased to front and the pedal is biased to the rear brakes but not exclusively rear.

·
Vendor
16,021 Posts
I took the bike out his weekend into the culdesac and set up some slalom cones. I noticed I need to be very careful with how much pressure I am applying while working the course. I also noticed when I get fatigued I begin to stab the brakes a little more. I also noticed the brakes get a little bit of a squeal to them when getting warm.
After checking the brakes, making sure they are OEM pads, and cleaning the rotors as suggested in post #7, and if you're still having problems, my next question would have been ... could this really be a health related issue ???

However, before jumping there, don't forget to make sure that your reservoirs are not over filled.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just pulled the brakes off the rear and they are not OEM pads. I thoroughly cleaned them and the rotor. The front pads are OEM and probably original with only 23,000 miles on the bike. I'm going to get some OEM for the rear.
The reservoirs are at a normal level so no issues there.
My guess right now is the aftermarket pads. I'll update this after I try out the OEM pads.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts