GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I contacted 2 Honda dealerships and they both said that the rear differential did not have a magnetic drain plug on the GL 1800's...only the GL 1500's have them....yet I see posts by other owners saying they come standard with a magnetic drain plug??? Also, is the final drive and rear differential the same thing? Help

·
Registered
230 Posts
Rear drive drain plug

Motorcycles do not have differentials.They have rear drives.four wheel vehicles do.It keeps you from snapping axels when you turn as the outside wheel has to turn faster on a turn that the inside wheel. Hope that clears thing up a bit....Jim

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
I changed mine last night and without question there was a pile of metallic stuff I had to clean out of the "pit" in the end of the bolt.

BTW, if we're being exact about the terminology, wouldn't it just be called the "drive unit"? It isn't the rear drive because that infers that there is a front drive and we know only the european left drive models have front drive! :lol:

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
joevano said:
... BTW, if we're being exact about the terminology, wouldn't it just be called the "drive unit"? It isn't the rear drive because that infers that there is a front drive and we know only the european left drive models have front drive! :lol:
Most people here refer to it as the 'final drive'.

Also, I bought an extra final drive drain plug and use it on the engine crankcase drain. 8)

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
joevano said:
..........BTW, if we're being exact about the terminology, wouldn't it just be called the "drive unit"? It isn't the rear drive because that infers that there is a front drive and we know only the european left drive models have front drive! :lol:
If we're being exact, :wink: wouldn't that infer that the European models also have a "right" drive? just kidding :p :wink: :lol: I am very confused all of a sudden. :? :roll: :wink:

Todd

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
joevano said:
BTW, if we're being exact about the terminology, wouldn't it just be called the "drive unit"? It isn't the rear drive because that infers that there is a front drive and we know only the european left drive models have front drive! :lol:
Well, to be EXACT, final does not infer rear (as in posterior vs anterior), it infers last (as in primary, secondary, tertiary... final). There IS a primary drive and a final drive which final drive is not necessarily in the rear although on the wing, it is. (ya, it's raining and I'm bored). :rain1:

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
If I were you I wouldn't waste my time asking dealers any technical questions. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
European model with a magnetic plug.
But the offshore models have the north seeking pole on the other end.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
IR Harry said:
European model with a magnetic plug.
But the offshore models have the north seeking pole on the other end.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
:roll: No, No, NO! That's the one made special for just the Australian version.

The ones made for 'Down Under' are the ones with the magnet reversed. And also the part number is different for the Oz version... To make sure you get this special version when you order a replacement, be sure to remember to write the part number upside down. :wink:

:lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts