GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed out my rear tire about a month ago. 10,000 miles. Shortly after I started getting what sounded like a scrubbing sound from the back of the bike when I hit a bump. I checked several times and could not see where the tire was scrubbing. This continued so I removed the tire and could not find any rub marks. 02-06-21 there was an odor of paint or something coming from the rear as relayed to me from someone behind me. 02-07-21 when leaving my home the scrubbing sound was a solid sound as opposed to just hitting a bump. I turned around and went home. I checked the rear diff and it was low so I added oil. 4+ ounces later it was full. I did ride the bike around the block and there was no noise except the bump into my drive. This morning we emailed the service manager of the dealership where the bike was purchased. They stated to bring it in and they could check to see if there was any metal in the diff. We are going for a ride on Wednesday and see what happens and go from there…. We really need to be checking the diff oil !!!!

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
I changed out my rear tire about a month ago. 10,000 miles. Shortly after I started getting what sounded like a scrubbing sound from the back of the bike when I hit a bump. I checked several times and could not see where the tire was scrubbing. This continued so I removed the tire and could not find any rub marks. 02-06-21 there was an odor of paint or something coming from the rear as relayed to me from someone behind me. 02-07-21 when leaving my home the scrubbing sound was a solid sound as opposed to just hitting a bump. I turned around and went home. I checked the rear diff and it was low so I added oil. 4+ ounces later it was full. I did ride the bike around the block and there was no noise except the bump into my drive. This morning we emailed the service manager of the dealership where the bike was purchased. They stated to bring it in and they could check to see if there was any metal in the diff. We are going for a ride on Wednesday and see what happens and go from there…. We really need to be checking the diff oil !!!!
[/QU
There has been numerous warnings on checking the final drive for 3 years.
Just saying.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The dealers should have to check all fluids on a pre-delivery check list initialed by person responsible for checking. One copy retained by dealer and one copy given to buyer. Then as soon as you get home verify things and check a few nuts and bolts also.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I guess we will never know if it was truly empty. The only way to have known was to remove the drain bolt to see how much was in the final drive.....I checked mine after I took delivery and it was low. And then checked it again approx. 6-7k miles later and it was low again....what is happening here. Is it burning off???

·
Registered
165 Posts
I checked mine when reading posts of people finding it low. Mine took about an ounce or so to fill. On my first oil and filter change, I changed the gear oil too. Once it’s done and filled correctly, it shouldn’t need checking again till the next interval which I think is 16k, right?

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
I guess we will never know if it was truly empty. The only way to have known was to remove the drain bolt to see how much was in the final drive.....I checked mine after I took delivery and it was low. And then checked it again approx. 6-7k miles later and it was low again....what is happening here. Is it burning off???
Doesnt say if any oil was added? ;)

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I did not...When is the last time someone checked the oil in their car's diff? Yes I know it's a known issue and I should have, but I ride Honda's Flagship air bag model and one would think....................
I agree that it should be full, but why would you assume yours is full when more than a few people have said their final drives were low from day one? I'm sure you know what people say about assuming. It takes a few minutes of laying on the floor to check the oil level in a final drive. Was this the first time you checked the final drive oil? 10K miles without looking at it? If several people on Cadillac forums reported that the differential on a 2018 ATS AWD were coming from the factory with little or no oil in them, you can bet your last paycheck that I'd be under mine checking it. Sorry, but I'm not sorry, this one's on you.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
We could maybe spend a bit more time beating up the guy who maybe didn't check if the dealer did the job.

I'd rather wish him luck in getting a good result from the dealer inspection. It sounds like, at a minimum, you've got a ton of excess wear on that final drive from their dereliction of duty. Be sure to get it assessed and documented.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Most dealers have their lowest paid 'tech' do the pre-delivery inspection. They need to have service manager watch what is being done.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
We could maybe spend a bit more time beating up the guy who maybe didn't check if the dealer did the job.

I'd rather wish him luck in getting a good result from the dealer inspection. It sounds like, at a minimum, you've got a ton of excess wear on that final drive from their dereliction of duty. Be sure to get it assessed and documented.
Normally, I'd agree but this issue has been well documented on goldiwng forums. No matter who's fault it was initially, why wait until you hear noise and have 10K miles on it to check the oil?

·
Registered
19,314 Posts
I would document this ---------in case you have issues down the road

1 - 20 of 88 Posts