GL1800Riders Forums banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
It appears one of the Mods on here didn't like my humour yet seems content top continue to allow the religion thing to keep going. Interesting times.

Anyway, I hope there is no damage to your bike and that everything is resolved to your satisfaction.

Beagle

Reactions: Steve 0080

·
Administrator
553 Posts
It appears one of the Mods on here didn't like my humour yet seems content top continue to allow the religion thing to keep going. Interesting times.

Anyway, I hope there is no damage to your bike and that everything is resolved to your satisfaction.

Beagle
The “religious thing” didn‘t keep going. The posts were deleted.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I for one am glad my issue has turned into a way to pass the day. I will for a ride tomorrow and see. I am a regular at the local Honda Dealership buying bikes. If there is a way for them to help they will. If not rear ends are cheap from trikes... I hope everyone has a good evening. I get off at 10:00PM and I ride my bicycle 20 miles after work...it's a cardio thing.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Teflon tape?
Yes, I posted pics a few years ago. I changed the oil early as I like to check things and when I took out the filter, it had tape wrapped around part of the filter. Other small pieces came out with the little bit of oil that drops when you pull the filter. No idea why it would be there. I will see if I can find a pic...

Here is one from 2018

Reactions: INTHEWIND

·
Registered
77 Posts
To OP, I'd look into acquiring a final drive from a trike shop to keep on hand. Would give me piece of mind.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Well my experiment showed what I thought it would…Sadly.

Inthewind - positive, positive, negative
Iride4u -neutral
cortina - negative , "I don't get the "empty" bit ?? (Low yes , ... empty ??)” The rear diff holds 4.7 ounces. I added 4+ ounces. Technically you’re correct but still condescending. IMO
iamgcw -negative
Rick in MN -positive
Goldwing 64- negative
tclhb- negative ..neutral, “ checked his and will change at 16K. Honda recommends changing at 3 years for a reason.
The Captain -Mean spirited …Sorry, but I'm not sorry, this one's on you.”
Big Bird - positive
Iaen - positive
cihilb - neutral
The Caption- negative
Iaen - positive
garyem - positive
Inthewind - neutral
Murf - neutral "if"
I posted this thread to show that we all can do better. I know this is a known issue and should have checked. It’s easy to do and I’ve changed a few diffs for friends. I bought this bike used, it has been serviced three times
by dealers. I told myself to check it at 5K and failed. I do know better I just didn’t do it. Honda recommends changing the diff oil at 3 years. Honda wants the moly to stay in there for that period of time.

As for my experiment; Why do we feel a need to kick someone when they're down? I easily could have kept this to myself. Honda will replace the diff if needed on their dime. I chose to share so others could learn from my mistake even though I don’t share fault. Fault lands squarely at the feet of Honda for failing to do better.

The real shame here is how fellow riders CHOSE to kick me when I’m down. The Captain was the most egregious to the point of being mean. BIG BIRD was the most kind and thoughtful of this group. Big Bird if and when we meet I would like to shake your hand.
I guess if you think I'm "mean spirited AND egregious" then you won't mind me adding you to my "IGNORE" list.

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
1,085 Posts
Im the one who should be upset. I was left out of the survey altogether. I guess this is why I’m unpopular and have no friends.
You might think that, but... No.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Yes, I posted pics a few years ago. I changed the oil early as I like to check things and when I took out the filter, it had tape wrapped around part of the filter. Other small pieces came out with the little bit of oil that drops when you pull the filter. No idea why it would be there. I will see if I can find a pic...

Here is one from 2018
View attachment 379059
Which filter did you find this on?

·
Registered
518 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
I am definitely changing my final drive oil...not that it needs it, but because it may be low! What do you guys use to fill it?

·
Vendor
18,113 Posts
I am definitely changing my final drive oil...not that it needs it, but because it may be low! What do you guys use to fill it?
I use the Honda 80w-90. It's cheap and am sure most Honda shops will have it in stock.

Reactions: Ozone1

·
Vendor
18,113 Posts

Here is one from 2018
View attachment 379059
From here that looks like a bead of HondaBond 4 that broke loose. Honda uses HondaBond-4 to seal the case halves together. It's gray in color.

Reactions: Ozone1

·
Vendor
18,113 Posts
Sorry, I meant what do you use to transfer the the new oil into the final drive? I have the oil...
I use the oil can show in the front. Depending on the final drive, it will take somewhere between 60-90 pumps. I cut the end of the hose off to make it pump easier and faster. I have no idea where I got it ... have used it for more then a decade.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts