GL1800Riders Forums banner

61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Harbor Freight has a similar one for under $8. If you have a 20% off coupon, even less.

Considering I have 1 vehicle with a final drive that needs serviced once every 3 years, I just buy a qt of hypoid when needed, cut the little pointy spout, and give a mighty squeeze into the fill hole. Once it overflows, I know it has enough. What is left in the bottle gets donated to the local auto parts store recycling tank.

·
Registered
78 Posts
This is what I use ,long lasting double sealed, hose is flexible , it holds more fluid, and will suck fluid if needed needed - like at the beginning of a brake fluid change. Less mess, super cheap.

·
Registered
918 Posts
You imply disagreement but I don't understand. Obviously, we can spend a little more time beating up the guy. :ROFLMAO:

And I still prefer to wish him luck.

BTW, I've been on a forum and this is the first time I've seen this issue, though I don't frequent the flashy new Goldwing section.

BigBird,

I agree with your sentiments on the whole. The guy with the problem definitely assumed this was a dealer item to be cared for or WORSE..............didn't even know the whole thingy existed.

I'm a # 2. I can definitely see this as a possibility. Differential ?? What is THAT ?? Add oil to it ?? I don't know hardly anything....................BUT...........and this is big............not just for motor vehicles............READ THE FREAKIN' OWNER'S MANUALS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What you don't know CAN hurt you. Of course !!

Had he read the manual in it's entirety, ( I don't think he did ) he would have come across this eventually.

Like you, I also wish the poor guy luck.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
BigBird,

I agree with your sentiments on the whole. The guy with the problem definitely assumed this was a dealer item to be cared for or WORSE..............didn't even know the whole thingy existed.

I'm a # 2. I can definitely see this as a possibility. Differential ?? What is THAT ?? Add oil to it ?? I don't know hardly anything....................BUT...........and this is big............not just for motor vehicles............READ THE FREAKIN' OWNER'S MANUALS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What you don't know CAN hurt you. Of course !!

Had he read the manual in it's entirety, ( I don't think he did ) he would have come across this eventually.

Like you, I also wish the poor guy luck.
I am fully aware of the manual. The manual states to service the diff at the 3 year mark. I know how and have changed diff oil many times. I told myself to check it at the 5K point and did not, my bad. Having no oil in the diff is Honda bad. How about the 100,000s of diff that are correct? I love the bashing and the "what if's". I fully admitted in my original post that I was aware and failed. Do you need a pint of blood? The keyboard warrior thing is amazing! Most would faint with confrontation. I'm paid at work for confrontation ...I LOVE IT.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I changed out my rear tire about a month ago. 10,000 miles. Shortly after I started getting what sounded like a scrubbing sound from the back of the bike when I hit a bump. I checked several times and could not see where the tire was scrubbing. This continued so I removed the tire and could not find any rub marks. 02-06-21 there was an odor of paint or something coming from the rear as relayed to me from someone behind me. 02-07-21 when leaving my home the scrubbing sound was a solid sound as opposed to just hitting a bump. I turned around and went home. I checked the rear diff and it was low so I added oil. 4+ ounces later it was full. I did ride the bike around the block and there was no noise except the bump into my drive. This morning we emailed the service manager of the dealership where the bike was purchased. They stated to bring it in and they could check to see if there was any metal in the diff. We are going for a ride on Wednesday and see what happens and go from there…. We really need to be checking the diff oil !!!!
Change my diff oil every 5000 miles. 2008 GL 1800.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Thank you Steve 0080 for this thread! Because of this thread, I went to top off my differential fluid again (did it years ago). I did not measure how much I put in, because I was expecting a small 'top off' amount. The pumpkin must have been near empty!

So, where is this oil going? IIRC, the old Valkyrie used some of the differential oil to oil the splines. Even if that is true with the 1800's (old & new), it doesn't really explain the missing oil (or does it?). Any thoughts about this mysterious oil usage from the mechanical guru's?

Thanks again, Steve!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Stopped by Honda this a.m.... no metal in the diff...good news. Now they're going up the drive line to see where the issue is. There is a spot on tire rotation that the tire drags...More to come.

Your welcome 98Valk. This was the intention of me making my issue public.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
No metal in the DIFF...Honda will look further up the drive train. There is a tight spot when the rear wheel is rotated. Honda is trying to find where the noise is coming from ...maybe universal joint. Time will tell.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thank you Steve 0080 for this thread! Because of this thread, I went to top off my differential fluid again (did it years ago). I did not measure how much I put in, because I was expecting a small 'top off' amount. The pumpkin must have been near empty!

So, where is this oil going? IIRC, the old Valkyrie used some of the differential oil to oil the splines. Even if that is true with the 1800's (old & new), it doesn't really explain the missing oil (or does it?). Any thoughts about this mysterious oil usage from the mechanical guru's?

Thanks again, Steve!
Yes...this is very interesting....I know I topped it off when I got the bike. And then about 7000-8000 miles later I checked it again and it was low. Are these final drives getting extremely hot and the oil is burning off...Its such an easy process to check that I think it should be inspected every oil change and topped off as necessary. A little preventive maintenance can save a lot of aggravation down the line.

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
Yes...this is very interesting....I know I topped it off when I got the bike. And then about 7000-8000 miles later I checked it again and it was low. Are these final drives getting extremely hot and the oil is burning off...Its such an easy process to check that I think it should be inspected every oil change and topped off as necessary. A little preventive maintenance can save a lot of aggravation down the line.
Put synthetic in it.
Dont spin the wheel when adding fluid.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
A call from the local Honda Dealership advises my issue is the trailer hitch scrubbing on the tire when under a load. I'm the second owner so I may have the information as to the manufacture. I only use the hitch a couple of times per year so I will look and see if I can take out the center part in the rear and or add a spacer to hold it open. I am not exact as to where the tire is rubbing until I receive the pics and pic up the bike on
Sat. Good news all around. I would still like to know why the diff was low? Thanks to all who have offered their positive thoughts and to those who have benefited. steve

·
Love The DCT
12,102 Posts
I would still like to know why the diff was low? Thanks to all who have offered their positive thoughts and to those who have benefited. steve
More than likely the differential was low because it was not properly filled at the factory. Checking the final drive oil level is part of the PDI process at the dealership. Evidently the dealership never checked the final drive oil level. If the final drive were leaking oil, you would have noticed it.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Too bad. It sounds like you have two issues now. Maybe three.

1) The low or almost no final drive fluid. Problem from delivery. Tough with that chain of custody, though.

2) The trailer hitch. Put up some pics. Maybe folks can help identify it. It sounds like you're getting an unusual and unacceptable amount of give there. I wonder if it isn't really a trailer hitch, just a light duty hitch rack. Be careful.

+/- 3) Finger pointing that the trailer hitch is to blame for or somehow invalidates the liability for the final drive. I hope that doesn't cause problems for you later. But, like I said, it's a long row anyway. I hope you never need it, but it's good to know trike take-off final drives are plentiful and cheap.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Too bad. It sounds like you have two issues now. Maybe three.

1) The low or almost no final drive fluid. Problem from delivery. Tough with that chain of custody, though.

2) The trailer hitch. Put up some pics. Maybe folks can help identify it. It sounds like you're getting an unusual and unacceptable amount of give there. I wonder if it isn't really a trailer hitch, just a light duty hitch rack. Be careful.

+/- 3) Finger pointing that the trailer hitch is to blame for or somehow invalidates the liability for the final drive. I hope that doesn't cause problems for you later. But, like I said, it's a long row anyway. I hope you never need it, but it's good to know trike take-off final drives are plentiful and cheap.
Thanks, I do have access to a 2018/DCT Diff , there are a couple online for $200. I'll see when I get it home and look. I plan on taking all or part of the hitch off Friday night and plan on riding this weekend so I'll know if it's ok.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
This thread had me curious so I checked my 2018 bought new in January 2020 with a little over 15k on it now. It was full and looked clean. I went ahead and changed it anyway since premature maintenance never hurts anything but your pocketbook.
Now with fresh oil everywhere and a new set of Stones I should not have to worry about anything for another 5k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

61 - 80 of 94 Posts