GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will probably get flamed for this but....The Goldwing (or any other shaft driven bike) does not have a differential. It does have a final drive that consists of a ring and pinion gear. A differential set up is only necessary when you are driving a 2 wheeled axle where, when cornering, one wheel needs to turn faster than the other. This consists of a ring gear, pinion gear and a set of 4 spider gears that create the capability for differential rotation of the two axles.
Don't want to be anal but we should try a little bit to be correct.

Jeff...

·
Vendor
18,447 Posts
You are correct. Honda calls it a Final Drive in the service manual.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Call it what you wish. A rose by any other name is still a rose. Now that we are all POLITICALLY correct I feel better..:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
If you please a small correction. Not all differentials have spider gears.
Oh and a second if it's alright. Some GoldWings do have differentials. Those that are triked.

Thank you.

·
Registered
19,401 Posts
If you please a small correction. Not all differentials have spider gears.
Oh and a second if it's alright. Some GoldWings do have differentials. Those that are triked.

Thank you.
Actually some trikes have final drives where both wheels are turned

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Actually some trikes have final drives where both wheels are turned
I believe you are refering to what is called a spindle drive in drag racing and off roading. Both wheels fixed together. On a trike they are rather interesting to drive. :eek:

But how many have a front differential?
Spyders for one.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I believe you are refering to what is called a spindle drive in drag racing and off roading. Both wheels fixed together. On a trike they are rather interesting to drive. :eek:

Spyders for one.
Spyders are NOT front wheel drive

·
Banned
356 Posts
I will probably get flamed for this but....The Goldwing (or any other shaft driven bike) does not have a differential. It does have a final drive that consists of a ring and pinion gear. A differential set up is only necessary when you are driving a 2 wheeled axle where, when cornering, one wheel needs to turn faster than the other. This consists of a ring gear, pinion gear and a set of 4 spider gears that create the capability for differential rotation of the two axles.
Don't want to be anal but we should try a little bit to be correct.

Jeff...
If you really want to be PC. We'll start with your post. It couldn't be more misinforming. Almost every Front wheel drive automatic transmission on earth has a "final drive" in it. And all of them that do not have limited slip, have spider gears in them. But you certainly don't have to have spider gear's for it to considered a "differential". Auburn posi unit's are just one example of many. They don't have any spider gear's. They have cone's. Eaton, New process an a slew of other's have differential's/final drive's without spider's. And in your description of a "differential". You left out the most important part. The carrier. Guess we should never call our engine a motor either huh? Next time at the track, I'll be sure to say, I turned my tire's in water to a rapid circular motion in order to obtain the correct temp in my slick's. In stead of, I just did a he!! of a nasty burnout. Take a breath, drink a beer, smoke a doobie, whatever flop's your mop. But ease up a little. Life's to short to worry about the extremely small stuff.

·
Registered
8,570 Posts

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I suppose before too long I should change the gear oil in my rear differential. :coffee1:

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Politically correct? Really? like a final drive has some sort of political nature to it.... doubt it... Car parts, motorcycle parts... only those on this board could make some sort of politically correct comparison.....:roll::roll::roll:

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
I used to beat up on Ross every time he would slip and say differential rather than final drive. The thought of being correct in terminology never occurred to me, I just wanted to fvck with with Ross.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts