GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming up on 30,000 miles and need to do an oil, brake, clutch and rear drive fluid change. I have an un opened bottle of 85-140 Supertech oil. Manual says use 80W, just wanting to know if anyone has a reason not to use this oil?

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
I use the 80-90W in mine, not sure if heaver oil will hurt or not.

·
Registered
325 Posts
You could probably get away with it in FL. Not sure if it would be appropiate in cooler climates. A lot of people that I have heard of here in TX use 85W-90... not sure if I've ever heard of using 85W-140. Honda recommends straight weight SAE 80.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Coming up on 30,000 miles and need to do an oil, brake, clutch and rear drive fluid change. I have an un opened bottle of 85-140 Supertech oil. Manual says use 80W, just wanting to know if anyone has a reason not to use this oil?
Should work as long as it says 'Hypoid', I run 75W-90 synthetic in mine. Years ago, before getting the wing I put some regular gear lube in the final drive of my Nighthawk & had a bit of foaming, switched to Mobil 1 synthetic gear lube & no foaming. I am a strong believer in synthetics & for the small amount used, even a $12/Qt synthetic is a bargain & will go a lot of miles.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I believe the numbers mean the oil performs over a wider range. So 80W140 performs better than 80W90. It doesn't mean the oil is thicker.

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
Interesting comments thus far.
Especially the one about the oil not being thicker! Ever try to pour oil out of a can that has been exposed to freezing cold weather:?:
IMHO-manufacturer recommends usages for good reason.
I would find 80/90 synthetic and forget what you have!
Why 80/90-I searched for some time for 80, as recommended and never found it:roll: Settled on AmsOil 80/90.

·
Registered
664 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
That oil will work just fine, I've been useing 90-140 syn. since my bike was new ('08) and change it every motor oil change, 4K, and it doesn't even get dark. It takes so little oil it's a cheap change. Oil changes are the cheapest maintenance one can do even if you use SYN. oil's.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I use Amsoil 80W 90 in the final drives of my VTX and GL1800 and have been very pleased with it in both bikes. Did some research on it and found it to be very good for what I needed. The bikes both run smoothly. I think anyone would be pleased using it for the final drive. Don't forget to inspect the "O" ring....:congrats:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts