GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change the final drive oil in my GL1800. The manual calls for "hypoid" gear oil #80. Can I use Synthetic gear oil 80W90? What does "hypoid" mean? I've got 20,000 miles on my 2002. SLIDE

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts

·
Registered
20,951 Posts
any oil that meets the GL5 rate will do just fine, should be listed on the bottles label if not look for another brand.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
lube.............. :biker:

Slider man,
I put mobil 1 synthetic in mine, used an oil squirt can, 5-6 squirts gets the job done, only holds 4.5 ounces, fill till it begins to weep over the edge, let it stop dripping and re-install the plug, do not overtighten.
JD
:biker:

·
Registered
190 Posts
I want to change the final drive oil in my GL1800. The manual calls for "hypoid" gear oil #80. Can I use Synthetic gear oil 80W90? What does "hypoid" mean? I've got 20,000 miles on my 2002. SLIDE
A hypoid gear oil is a lubricant that is designed to operate effectively with hypoid gear designs. Most gearboxes and differentials use hypoid gear designs and the lubricant must contain EP (extreme pressure) additives to prevent wear between the sliding surfaces of a hypoid gear mesh.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts