GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '02, and have possible final drive, shaft problem. Will all years of these work on my '02 if I can pick one up off of EBAY

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Final drives yes, but drive shafts from 06 and up are a different length.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cave-(P-factor)

I sent a reply but it says there was an error. I am not good at computer stuff. I said that I don't know for sure if my final drive is what's wrong. I will buy one from you if that is the case. I need a day or three to get someone more knowledgable than I am to make sure that the drive is indeed my problem. Where exactly are you located? I'd for sure pick it up if it's what I need.

Jack
Didn't realize I called you Cave and not Dave. Couldn't edit the title for some reason.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had to leave.

Got busy and had to leave for the night. There is a grinding and vibration. I did, last night, drain the fluid. Put a strong magnet in a white container and it picked up just a couple of pieces of metal. The magnetic bolt, which has a recessed end, had some pasty junk in it, but nothing excessive. I checked the level in July. Now, with no sign of leaking, there was about half of the fluid remaining. Soooo, I refilled it with new and when running it on the center stand, it still seems to be grinding. I am deaf, using a Cochlear implant, which distorts mechanical sounds. No mechanic here, I admit. I do simple stuff- brake pads, pull and replace tires, and am using a car tire. When running it now on the stand in third gear, it feels like the tire is out of balance. ------------Oh boy, talk about a hard way to diagnose something. I got info from P-factor about a final drive. As soon as I get someone over here that can hear, I'll try to really figure out what is wrong. Sorry about the long post.
Thanks much for the interest. I appreciate it.

S

·
0 Posts
It could be the brake making the noise. Can you wiggle the wheel? Or better yet is it leaking fluid?
If the bearing is bad it will leak oil past the seal. The metal paste on the plug is perfectly normal so don't worry about that - I would check the brakes first as that is the most likely thing to examine.

These drive units do not go bad very often so the odds are about a million to one it's there.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Clunk

OK. I don't have any leaks. Filled final drive last night. What I do have is a very hollow sounding clunk when I work the wheel forward and back when in first gear. This , of course, is when the bike is turned off. It sounds like and has felt like too much play in the gears. I don't think it has anything to do with the brakes. I don't know how much play there should be where I get that clunk. A mark on the tire moves a half inch back and forth.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I have not noticed a pronounced clunk in mine but I do have a lot of slack in the rear wheel. What you describe sounds like nothing to worry about. How many miles on the bike? BTW you are very close to one of the best dealers I have ever run across. A buddy of mine and I were on a mountain trip a few years ago when his final drive went out. The Honda shop in Blairsville swapped out the final drive from a trike conversion he was doing. The bill came to $200 including parts, labor and tax. The next time we were there he did the same thing with a new alternator. Thats how I know a '09 alternator will fit on a '02. I would go see them if you have a problem.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Which shop

Are you refering to the Honda dealer or to Motor sports Plus on the square in Blairsville? I have 75,000 on the bike. Going to Blairsville today and will stop at both places.

Thanks for all the advice.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
They call it Union Power Sports now. May be under new ownership in last 2 years. Don't know but two times now they have helped us out big time.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good news

I'm glad to hear good things about Union Powersports. In the past there were a few who had, shall I say, negative experiences there. Dealers in the lesser populated areas such as Blairsville are between a rock and a hard place. Not enough business, (or prospective business) to dish out super low prices and/or discounts. In the far northern part of Georgia there are tons of bikes going by, but few actually stopping. If they do stop, it's to eat or gas up. Not a lot of Wingers living in the area.
That being said, I know there are those who will say that if it's run right, the buyers will come.

·
Registered
545 Posts
You mentioned that you found a couple of pieces of metal in the oil which you drained out of your final drive. You may have the same problem I had six months ago, namely a failed main bearing in the final drive. The symptoms I experienced was a rumbling noise and I could feel a bit of vibration. It deteriorated very quickly from when I first noticed it, like within a mile. In my case the cage which contains the ball bearings broke into several pieces. It is not a difficult job to replace the final drive if you follow the direction in the manuel. Check the size of the bolts connecting the final drive to the swing arm and get an off-set box end wrench for the job as one bolt is difficult to get to with a regular wrench unless you remove the saddlebag. I got a brand new final drive off a 2010 that was triked when new for $45 from a trike shop. Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts