GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welp, I am officially a bike statistic :(

On the way home from work this evening, I am right about here http://maps.google.com/?ll=41.894251,-87.804676&spn=0.000008,0.009645&z=17&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=41.894251,-87.804492&panoid=-2xh5ovnBpSeLShPG9o-TQ&cbp=12,289.25,,0,18.02 and am stopped at a light, behind about 6 other cars. There is a Mazda SUV stopped behind me and a nice line of cars behind him. The light changes to green, the first car has barely started to move, I just go to pick my feet up off the deck and suddenly I feel like I have a chunk of time missing - and then I realize I am in a different spot than I was - about 5 to 8 feet forward - still on the bike and upright - and there are no cars in front of me... and then my body is telling me it thinks it has been struck by a bolt of lightning. All that happened in what felt like about 1/1000th of a second. It takes me a good 5 to 10 seconds to orient myself and then I realize I have been rear-ended.

I turn to look behind me and the guy in the SUV is mouthing "Im sorry" with his hands open. Still dazed, I yell a nice WTF and notice he is looking past me. I yell at him "don't you f'n think about it! you pull over right there or I will chase you down and ruin your f'n day!" Surprisingly he obliges. After we both pull off in front of the noodle shop - I am still trying to fully realize what happened - he gets out and says "im sorry im sorry", as I am taking off my gear and I tell him the best thing he can do right now is to stop talking to me, get the frak away from me and go sit down in the chairs in front of the noodle shop, next to our rides. He persists in talking to me, saying something about "let me give you my..." and I tell him again to get the frak away from me and to have a seat while I get on the phone with the cops.

While I am getting on the phone with dispatch he keeps trying to talk to me and I tell him to STFU and get away from me or I am gonna deck him. I am sure I also called him several other choice words amongst me trying to verbally rationalize how he can be sitting behind me and a half dozen other cars for 30 seconds - obviously knowing I am there - and then trying to drive through me. Dispatch asks right away if there are injuries and despite me having my bell rung pretty good from the weight of the helmet - I am up and walking around - though at this point quite shaky as my nerves are sufficiently wracked. I decline the ambulance and explain to dispatch the location and condition of the accident and everything, after which I do start to feel some strangeness in the back of my neck and ask her to send the medic out anyhow - just to be sure.

While waiting for the 5-0 and medic I try to inspect the bike - but am still feeling a bit scrambled and shaky and opt to sit on the curb instead. Cops got there first in just a moment and then a minute later the medics. They poke and prod me for a bit and check my range of motion in my neck and such, and tell me all seems ok but of course with the weight of the helmet my head got thrashed pretty good and I would be feeling it tomorrow for sure and to call the medics again if I felt anything beyond soreness and discomfort.

Meanwhile they are putting the dude who hit me in handcuffs... turns out he was driving while suspended. Jackbag wasn't even supposed to be there on the damn road! Grrr. So the cops do their thing with him and the accident report while I chill out in the chair for a bit and calm the nerves and spin down from the adrenaline. I get the paperwork and off they go and I go inside to chill a bit more, re-hydrate and get a bite. After I eat I go out and am settled enough to where I can focus on the bike.

To be completely honest - with the shot my neck and shoulders apparently took - I am simply AMAZED at how little damage there is to the bike. Not one piece of plastic is broken or cracked... at least on the surface or as far as I can tell. There are 5 very significant scuffs at various locations across the trunk and right bag... but nothing appears actually "broken". I grab the trunk and the bag and the fender and push/pull/shake/etc... it all seems solid - nothing moving or gapping between panels... nothing loose... bag/trunk frame integrity appears good. Of course this is all subject to inspection by the bike shop later - but initially it seems to have fared rather well - and apparently the Wing has as much strength in her ass as she does width :)

It certainly saved me from far more serious injury. I can say without a doubt that had I been on the ZX9, I likely wouldn't be posting this right now. The slop of the hood combined with how the tail of sportbikes stick up - it would have wedged up in there and catapulted me up and over the bars. Hitting the Wing square on the ass end is the best thing that could have happened in that impact. I found matching marks and "pinkish" residue from my Wing on his front end... plus a nice gouge where one of my helmet hooks apparently fought back. :)

Now - for the "always have an out" crew - of which I am a member of... I had 2. I was 5 feet behind the car in front - enough for maneuverability - and enough of a gap down either side of that car in between parked cars or cars waiting to turn left that I could have hidden... had there been the chance or any indicator that something was about to happen. As he had already been sitting behind me for a bit and obviously knew I was there along with the cars in front of me - not to mention other cars had pulled to stop behind him - I no longer considered him much of a threat. That being said - there was no warning with this... no engine noise from him that I heard, no horns, no nothing. The light turned green and wham - it happened that quick. He was a good 8 to 10 feet behind me at the stop, too - but I never knew he had hit the gas. So... while it is always good to have an out - it doesn't mean you will always be able to get to use it. Sometimes things do happen in the blink of an eye - even if you are ready for it.

Once I got the bike home about 20 minutes later on a very cautious and paranoid ride lol :), I started to feel some of the soreness creeping in... the hyper extension was starting to feel apparent, as were a couple new, gnawing areas, but nothing severe. So I found a nice comfortable chair, doped up on Aleve and watched some tube for a while and now it is time for bed. It will be interesting to see how I feel when I wake up tomorrow. :)

Stay safe and aware out there people... and just when you think you have all the bases covered... look for the ones that are right in front of you... cause those are the things that are gonna jump up and bite you.

More details as/if they develop.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Well, glad to hear that you and the bike, while scuffed a bit, are doing at least moderately OK. Hopefully you're not too sore when you wake up, and hopefully the dumb S.O.B. who hit you is :evil:

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Glad your OK mate sorry about your mishap you never know how many maniacs you share the road witht these days :shock: take care :thumbup:

·
Registered
19,051 Posts
I had a simular experience several years ago and want to comment on your injury. Go to the doctor. Today. Let an expert look at you especially any neck type whiplash. When your body has a sudden unexpected impact it goes into an adrelin protection mode and you could have substained injuries unknown. There is also a injury known as soft tissue damage which can degenerate up to two years later. You are owed by his insurance company all these tests and expenses AT THE LEAST. Email me if interested in more information. I will give you my cell

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Man that sucks.I can just hear me saying similar words if that happens to me.I won't be the guy you should be yapping to!.

Glad you weren't tossed from the bike and it is all that it is.I have read to many rear end reported here that other member have suffered.And that sticks in my mind when I stop.

As you said "Always leave an out",but you can't prepare for the unexpected idiot with his head up his ass.

As laen said.let a doc check you out.you can't see what is going on right now,let them confirm you'll be okay.:thumbup:

Hope your day goes better.:bow:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I was rear ended while stopped last week by an SUV......knocked me and the bike into the suv in front of me. No screeching tires or noise of any kind as warning. I landed about 25' down the road in the other lane, and went to ER strapped to the board.

Totaled the wing, but no broken bones for me.

I had checked the mirrors a block before slowing down to a gradual stop and nothing there.

I have always been paranoid about checking the mirrors and leaving an escape route since being rear ended years ago, but this time I didn't need to.....or so I thought!

I no longer chuckle at people with horse collars!

In this particular case I was probably lucky I was wearing a light open face helmet instead of my heay flip face.

Open a claim with his ins and go to the doc!

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Glad you are in the end still here to type to us. Hope you just have soreness and it ends there. I also hope this doesn't turn into a battle in the courts for you since he was on a suspended license. Not sure how his insurance company will deal with that. Again, hope it all turns out positive for you.

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Follow the advice offered above to see a doctor and be examined for injuries. Insurance companies expect an injury claim or at least bills for being examined in an accident like yours.

If the clown had insurance in effect his insurance company will pay for your damage and injuries. An insurance company cannot refuse to pay because their insured is stupid or did something illegal. They will cancel his policy later but for now they will pay you.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Glad you are O.K.

Hope only a few bumps are all it is.

Yes sometimes you cannot defeat Lady Luck.

Things are what they are sometimes.

The idiots do that rear end nonsense all the time, cars sitting still and the back car runs forward and hits the front car. Not real serious car to car, but the bike has no protection.

They do not have their mind on the driving.

Anyways glad you are ok.

Kit

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
I am glad for you that he was not BIG, MEAN, and short tempered. Or worse; armed. scared and stupid. Your injuries could have been much worse. Some folks get really PO'd when ya cuss 'em during moments of excitement. You do need to get checked-put by a competent doc. Get that bike's frame checked real close too, its probably ruined.

prs

·
Registered
307 Posts
Thanks for the write up. I am always interested in people that have bike accidents and mainly what they could have done to avoid the crash. Kinda learn from others mistakes. As for your incident, I cant think of how it could have been avoided. I have sat in that position at a red light dily and even if I was watching him in the mirror, in the short distance that a cage sits behind me I dont think I could react that fast. I am sure glad you are alright and you stayed up right. It appears your good instincts kicked in and took care of the situation. It is also good that you didnt deck him even though he richly deserved it. Hope your neck feels better.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Welp, I am officially a bike statistic :(

On the way home from work this evening, I am right about here http://maps.google.com/?ll=41.894251,-87.804676&spn=0.000008,0.009645&z=17&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=41.894251,-87.804492&panoid=-2xh5ovnBpSeLShPG9o-TQ&cbp=12,289.25,,0,18.02 and am stopped at a light, behind about 6 other cars. There is a Mazda SUV stopped behind me and a nice line of cars behind him. The light changes to green, the first car has barely started to move, I just go to pick my feet up off the deck and suddenly I feel like I have a chunk of time missing - and then I realize I am in a different spot than I was - about 5 to 8 feet forward - still on the bike and upright - and there are no cars in front of me... and then my body is telling me it thinks it has been struck by a bolt of lightning. All that happened in what felt like about 1/1000th of a second. It takes me a good 5 to 10 seconds to orient myself and then I realize I have been rear-ended.

I turn to look behind me and the guy in the SUV is mouthing "Im sorry" with his hands open. Still dazed, I yell a nice WTF and notice he is looking past me. I yell at him "don't you f'n think about it! you pull over right there or I will chase you down and ruin your f'n day!" Surprisingly he obliges. After we both pull off in front of the noodle shop - I am still trying to fully realize what happened - he gets out and says "im sorry im sorry", as I am taking off my gear and I tell him the best thing he can do right now is to stop talking to me, get the frak away from me and go sit down in the chairs in front of the noodle shop, next to our rides. He persists in talking to me, saying something about "let me give you my..." and I tell him again to get the frak away from me and to have a seat while I get on the phone with the cops.

While I am getting on the phone with dispatch he keeps trying to talk to me and I tell him to STFU and get away from me or I am gonna deck him. I am sure I also called him several other choice words amongst me trying to verbally rationalize how he can be sitting behind me and a half dozen other cars for 30 seconds - obviously knowing I am there - and then trying to drive through me. Dispatch asks right away if there are injuries and despite me having my bell rung pretty good from the weight of the helmet - I am up and walking around - though at this point quite shaky as my nerves are sufficiently wracked. I decline the ambulance and explain to dispatch the location and condition of the accident and everything, after which I do start to feel some strangeness in the back of my neck and ask her to send the medic out anyhow - just to be sure.

While waiting for the 5-0 and medic I try to inspect the bike - but am still feeling a bit scrambled and shaky and opt to sit on the curb instead. Cops got there first in just a moment and then a minute later the medics. They poke and prod me for a bit and check my range of motion in my neck and such, and tell me all seems ok but of course with the weight of the helmet my head got thrashed pretty good and I would be feeling it tomorrow for sure and to call the medics again if I felt anything beyond soreness and discomfort.

Meanwhile they are putting the dude who hit me in handcuffs... turns out he was driving while suspended. Jackbag wasn't even supposed to be there on the damn road! Grrr. So the cops do their thing with him and the accident report while I chill out in the chair for a bit and calm the nerves and spin down from the adrenaline. I get the paperwork and off they go and I go inside to chill a bit more, re-hydrate and get a bite. After I eat I go out and am settled enough to where I can focus on the bike.

To be completely honest - with the shot my neck and shoulders apparently took - I am simply AMAZED at how little damage there is to the bike. Not one piece of plastic is broken or cracked... at least on the surface or as far as I can tell. There are 5 very significant scuffs at various locations across the trunk and right bag... but nothing appears actually "broken". I grab the trunk and the bag and the fender and push/pull/shake/etc... it all seems solid - nothing moving or gapping between panels... nothing loose... bag/trunk frame integrity appears good. Of course this is all subject to inspection by the bike shop later - but initially it seems to have fared rather well - and apparently the Wing has as much strength in her ass as she does width :)

It certainly saved me from far more serious injury. I can say without a doubt that had I been on the ZX9, I likely wouldn't be posting this right now. The slop of the hood combined with how the tail of sportbikes stick up - it would have wedged up in there and catapulted me up and over the bars. Hitting the Wing square on the ass end is the best thing that could have happened in that impact. I found matching marks and "pinkish" residue from my Wing on his front end... plus a nice gouge where one of my helmet hooks apparently fought back. :)

Now - for the "always have an out" crew - of which I am a member of... I had 2. I was 5 feet behind the car in front - enough for maneuverability - and enough of a gap down either side of that car in between parked cars or cars waiting to turn left that I could have hidden... had there been the chance or any indicator that something was about to happen. As he had already been sitting behind me for a bit and obviously knew I was there along with the cars in front of me - not to mention other cars had pulled to stop behind him - I no longer considered him much of a threat. That being said - there was no warning with this... no engine noise from him that I heard, no horns, no nothing. The light turned green and wham - it happened that quick. He was a good 8 to 10 feet behind me at the stop, too - but I never knew he had hit the gas. So... while it is always good to have an out - it doesn't mean you will always be able to get to use it. Sometimes things do happen in the blink of an eye - even if you are ready for it.

Once I got the bike home about 20 minutes later on a very cautious and paranoid ride lol :), I started to feel some of the soreness creeping in... the hyper extension was starting to feel apparent, as were a couple new, gnawing areas, but nothing severe. So I found a nice comfortable chair, doped up on Aleve and watched some tube for a while and now it is time for bed. It will be interesting to see how I feel when I wake up tomorrow. :)

Stay safe and aware out there people... and just when you think you have all the bases covered... look for the ones that are right in front of you... cause those are the things that are gonna jump up and bite you.

More details as/if they develop.
Placement and situation awareness are only the frist two steps in accident prevention .

Sit down and wait now for the better than most to share how they can reads minds to avoid an accident like that .....:?

A post about what you have done wrong is in the mail that I'm sure .... ;)

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Follow the advice offered above to see a doctor and be examined for injuries. Insurance companies expect an injury claim or at least bills for being examined in an accident like yours.

If the clown had insurance in effect his insurance company will pay for your damage and injuries. An insurance company cannot refuse to pay because their insured is stupid or did something illegal. They will cancel his policy later but for now they will pay you.

I agree with this 100%!! Tom :biker:

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, glad to hear that you and the bike, while scuffed a bit, are doing at least moderately OK. Hopefully you're not too sore when you wake up, and hopefully the dumb S.O.B. who hit you is :evil:
Yeah I am hoping that him and Bubba got to be real close last night, with any luck. :) Right upper-shoulder and lower-right neck are a little sore this morning - bur surprisingly a lot less than I expected, and less than last night. I was really anticipating much worse. Range of motion is about 90-95% in neck and shoulder before any discomfort. No fogginess or haziness in the head this morning either... all seems to be pretty much in order. I am keeping an eye on it though, and will be seeing someone here in a bit.

I landed about 25' down the road in the other lane, and went to ER strapped to the board. Totaled the wing, but no broken bones for me.
Damn dude... and I thought I was lucky. A 25 foot toss and no injuries? Tell me you bought a lotto ticket that day? Glad you are alright.

I have always been paranoid about checking the mirrors and leaving an escape route since being rear ended years ago, but this time I didn't need to.....or so I thought!
Yeah I had always watched the mirrors while stopped at a light, flashing the brakes as cars are approaching, and ready to drop the clutch and squeeze off between the cars ahead if need be. Never had to. Once I had a car or two buffer behind me, then I would often relax, look around - pay more attention to the cars ahead of me, etc... same as I did on this. So much for that idea. :|

In this particular case I was probably lucky I was wearing a light open face helmet instead of my heay flip face.
Yeah I do wonder how much less it would have affected me had I been wearing an open face or no helmet... but for the life of me still will never bring myself to do either. I think this type of incident and "injury" is a lot less likely than others which would be beneficial from a full helmet like I have worn for 20 years.

I also hope this doesn't turn into a battle in the courts for you since he was on a suspended license. Not sure how his insurance company will deal with that.
Yeah, that is what I am most worried about, actually. See below.

Yeah, thankfully I work at the 2nd largest hospital in Chicago and once things get settled at the office I am walking down the hall and having a free 2nd look.

Not necessarily the case. Illinois is funny like that. For example - if you ride without a cycle endorsement - your coverage is invalidated. State law. In essence - it is no different than driving with no license... and while I do have un/under-insured coverage - I would really rather not have to invoke it... but I am bracing for an uphill battle when I talk to his insurance company later today. Just pisses me off cause that jackbag wasn't even supposed to be there. Had he gotten a ride or taken the bus - I wouldn't even be typing this. Moron has no clue how close to causing serious harm to someone else he really came because he was stupid.

The idiots do that rear end nonsense all the time, cars sitting still and the back car runs forward and hits the front car. Not real serious car to car, but the bike has no protection. They do not have their mind on the driving.
See - I don't get that... we weren't even driving. We were just sitting there.... for nearly a minute. So he wasn't so completely brain-dead as to not stop to begin with... what in the hell kind of mental process does a late 20-year old go through to just ignore the fact that there were 6 or 7 obstacles in his path and he thought he could just drive straight through them after having sat behind them for a minute? I dunno... maybe I am over-thinking it... but I go by the old, linear process of - if something is in your way - turn or stop. Wait til it moves or you can go around. It really is no more complicated than that... I just don't get how people can frak that up. :confused::confused::confused:

I am glad for you that he was not BIG, MEAN, and short tempered. Or worse; armed. scared and stupid. Your injuries could have been much worse.
Yeah well... I'll cross that bridge if and when I ever come to it. Thankfully I have enough background and training where I should be able to deal with a situation should it arise.

Some folks get really PO'd when ya cuss 'em during moments of excitement.
Are you serious with this comment? PO'd due to a well-deserve cuss-out (and certainly a whole lot more was deserved!). To hell with that... some people get really PO'd when you have zero respect for their personal safety and ignorantly try to KILL THEM by running over them with your vehicle! He needs to be happy I am not bigger than I am, meaner than I am or armed and with a short fuse - and actually have better sense than to take actions past where I did. You do understand that I take an extreme displeasure to people placing my personal safety and life at risk, right?

Let's not forget the root of the problem, here. Getting "cussed out" is the least of this cat's worries at a time like that. If he is such a big, mean man - then he should take his very well deserved tongue lashing like the man he thinks he is.

Thanks for the write up. I am always interested in people that have bike accidents and mainly what they could have done to avoid the crash. Kinda learn from others mistakes.
I hope it helps. I know it was wordy - but I try to be as descriptive as possible. It helps me in retrospect, and I hope it helps others.

As for your incident, I cant think of how it could have been avoided. I have sat in that position at a red light dily and even if I was watching him in the mirror, in the short distance that a cage sits behind me I dont think I could react that fast.
I am sure there is a way, and I hope I figure out what it is... but I agree - I have pretty good reflexes and I don't know that I could have reacted in the short distance and time spaces in this situation. I usually always watch them and make sure they are stopping and are aware of my presence before I divert my attention, really... now this incident is going to result in me not doing that, and hopefully not cutting down my awareness of potential hazards coming from the front or along the sides. I do live in Chicagoland afterall, and commute downtown daily... so there is bound to be something! :|

I am sure glad you are alright and you stayed up right. It appears your good instincts kicked in and took care of the situation.
I dunno about all that... :D I was still trying to figure out what the heck had happened... it truly didn't register for a moment. I will tell you it is a hell of a shock to the system - cause it all happened in less than the blink of an eye, and the brain (or at least mine) can't process that much information that quickly and understand the results without running through it a few more times in the next few seconds.

It is also good that you didnt deck him even though he richly deserved it.
Yeah well he certainly tested it. I haven't come that close to hauling off on someone who didn't back off when told to do so in quite a while.

Thanks for all the well-wishes guys... let's keep fingers crossed for a good report from the doc later today.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sit down and wait now for the better than most to share how they can reads minds to avoid an accident like that .....:? A post about what you have done wrong is in the mail that I'm sure .... ;)
LOL - I'm actually surprised it hasn't presented itself in this thread already. :) I don't think that it will land in my mail... because pretty much everyone knows that I would re-post it to this thread, especially if they think they were God's Gift To Riding.

That being said - if there is a serious and legitimate analysis of the situation and how to better the results (other than keeping an eyeball on him in the mirror while the other was everywhere else, and having reflexes faster than that of a bug zapper) - I am all for hearing it. But if someone is gonna be a tool about it - be it in the thread or in my mail... they will get called out for it. :)

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Glad you're okay. I hope you get that report from the doc today.

Let me play the dumb-butt behind you for a moment...

I'm sitting at the light and I get a text from my girlfriend. She says she wants to go out with her girlfriends instead of hangin at my house, drinkin a few, and then _____. Hmmm... that would be nice... she's got such a nice... I wonder if I can convince her. Let's see... "Sweetie, let's go shopping and then how aboout a nice romantic dinner and... oops... the light turned green...

WHAM!

(I'm sorry... I'm soooo sorry)

10-to-1, he was distracted by something. He probably saw the light turn green and went. You just happened to get in the way.

Sounds like I'm excusing him. Believe me, I'm not. It's just the state of the driving/riding universe right now. I hate it.

Again, glad you're okay.

·
Registered
898 Posts
That was my first thought-guy was on a cell phone or texting. See it al the time, they just catch the green light out of corner of their eye and hit the accelerator, bang.

Good to see you walked away, sore but alive. Hopefully it will be awhile before he gets his lisence back, a little jail time may help him remember to not drive when he doesn't have a permit.

Glad you're okay. I hope you get that report from the doc today.

Let me play the dumb-butt behind you for a moment...

I'm sitting at the light and I get a text from my girlfriend. She says she wants to go out with her girlfriends instead of hangin at my house, drinkin a few, and then _____. Hmmm... that would be nice... she's got such a nice... I wonder if I can convince her. Let's see... "Sweetie, let's go shopping and then how aboout a nice romantic dinner and... oops... the light turned green...

WHAM!

(I'm sorry... I'm soooo sorry)

10-to-1, he was distracted by something. He probably saw the light turn green and went. You just happened to get in the way.

Sounds like I'm excusing him. Believe me, I'm not. It's just the state of the driving/riding universe right now. I hate it.

Again, glad you're okay.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
We are very happy to hear you are not worse for the wear from this rear-ender. Being able to walk away is a gift.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts