GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Between 2 cars today at a red light when a guy texting plowed his F-150 into the car behind me, pushing her into me and scrunching my 2003 1800 between those 2 cars. This tossed me airborne and onto the asphalt but fortunately (no [email protected]$#!) I wasn't hit by oncoming traffic from behind, and had on all the gear when my head met the pavement. I'm good; the bike, not so much. Front fender is shot, trunk is cracked, lights broken, right saddle bag cracked, and the LED trim lights cracked. That's just what I can see. The bike rides smooth still but obviously I want the frame and fork inspected by somebody who knows what they're looking at/for, and that's not me.

Here my confusion. I called my insurance company and they gave me 2 options: make a claim with them, they'll settle with me, then they'll go after the "initiator" (pickup truck texting guy--admitted his fault to cops). Option B is I make a claim myself with his insurance company. Seems like it would be low hassle to claim with my own company, but I've got a $500 deductible (just glad I even carried collision on this old of a bike, which I've owned less than 3 months and put less than 1,000 miles on!). I'd think going after his company would end up costing me almost nothing but take longer.

Anyone had to file a claim where you were clearly not at fault? How did you go? My last experience with insurance was when I was in a multi-car chain reaction in Houston in 1991, with no damages to my car whatsoever. Also, who fixes crashed bikes? I'm guessing not an auto-body shop. But the regular Honda dealer doesn't strike me as the best place to go either. Any and all advice is appreciated. Help!

P.S. Just in case somebody feels the need to say it: I've done 3 MSF courses and know about leaving an "out" zone at red lights. The car immediately behind was a big SUV I couldn't see through and and so I literally never saw this coming. It was a pretty strange experience I'll tell you!

Reactions: cycledude

·
Vendor
17,811 Posts
From my arm chair, you look and feel hurt. Once you figure out that you are, contact a good attorney. He'll file all the needed paper work for you, your settlement may take longer, but it will be more in your best interest when it is all said and done.

PS ... your bike could easily be a total.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Glad you weren't hurt. That is a sucky feeling to be moved and thrown off.

If it was their fault i don't know why you would want to have a claim on your insurance that might affect your premiums.

The local trike shop has way more experience than our Honda dealer here so that is where i took my '12 when i got rear ended by another biker.

My 83 GL1100 was rearended by a car years ago and me and my passenger were thrown off and bike totalled. A smaller bike and we would have been crushed. We both got bruised up pretty good and a few stitches for my passenger and chiropractor for me and time off work.

Reactions: cycledude and Drair

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Too early to worry about it.

Let a week or so go by. Contact all insurance companies and take your time. They usually like to settle fast which is always in their interest. Make a list of all your damages.

Bike
Clothing
Helmet
Personal injury
Inconvenience
Missed work

As time passes your list will grow.

Claim everything on your list even if you cannot assess a value. It will get figured out.

A professional attorney will help you do all this. This is what they are for. You do not have the experience. They do.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Since I have been there there & done that. I am not one to cause trouble when none is needed. When I was involved with a gentleman in a pickup truck that caused quite a lot of damage to my Gold Wing. I was contacted by his insurance company & they handled everything to my satisfaction. Even though my insurance company was notified they didn't get involved. I felt sorry for the other driver because he clearly didn't see me & he took a real bath. :serious: :frown2: :crying:

·
Registered
626 Posts
No matter what your insurance company needs to be informed. They need to know what happened. When you talk with them, tell them there is going to be a police report and you are in the process of having your bike looked at. They will need to have their adjuster look at it also. Your premiums will not be touched, police report will indicate that the other driver stated that he was at fault. Like was stated earlier, take your time and figure out what was damaged like bike, gear, self. List any upgrades that you did and find your receipts. You feel okay now but wait till morning. Injuries will stiffen up and get sore. If you didn't, go to the hospital and get checked out. This is the most important. The bike will be taken care of. You need to make sure your body is taken care of too. Do this before any settlement paper work is signed off.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Here my confusion. I called my insurance company and they gave me 2 options: make a claim with them, they'll settle with me, then they'll go after the "initiator" (pickup truck texting guy--admitted his fault to cops). Option B is I make a claim myself with his insurance company. Seems like it would be low hassle to claim with my own company, but I've got a $500 deductible (just glad I even carried collision on this old of a bike, which I've owned less than 3 months and put less than 1,000 miles on!). I'd think going after his company would end up costing me almost nothing but take longer.

Anyone had to file a claim where you were clearly not at fault? How did you go? My last experience with insurance was when I was in a multi-car chain reaction in Houston in 1991, with no damages to my car whatsoever. Also, who fixes crashed bikes? I'm guessing not an auto-body shop. But the regular Honda dealer doesn't strike me as the best place to go either. Any and all advice is appreciated. Help!

I had a similar accident last May on my Nomad - driver of car admitted he was at fault (this was also stated in Police report) - I had to go to ER to get checked out & have X-rays, but ended up with only cuts, bruises and severe sprains to both knees & ankles.

My accident happened on a Sunday, I reported it to my insurance on Monday morning and got same option reply you did. I was contacted by the car drivers insurance a little later the same day.

Based on what you have stated, I'm sure that insurance will total the bike (my Nomad had similar damage and also would have a similar blue book value as your wing) so, unless you have added a lot of farkels and other non-stock accessories to the bike that are covered for full replacement value by your policy, you're probably better off letting the other drivers insurance handle the claim (so you won't be out your deductible)

- In my case the car drivers insurance sent out an adjuster and gave me an blue book value settlement offer on the bike a couple of days after the wreck, adjuster stated they only pay the value of a stock bike and if I had any non-stock accessories on the bike, I could take them off as long as the stock parts were put back on. So that's what I did and got my bike settlement check for the a few days later. I also made a list of all my personal items (helmet, boots, clothing, watch, etc) that was damaged and they issued a separate check for replacement value on those items.

If you had any medical or lost income as a result of the wreck, that will be a separate settlement with the other insurance company.

Since I had a couple of weeks of lost wages and medical costs (ER, Dr visits & rehab therapy that lasted about 3 months) it took about 4 months before I was ready to sign off on that settlement, which also included payment for pain & suffering as result of the accident.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Take pictures of EVERYTHING damaged....bike, helmet, jacket, etc. Get receipts for everything and if you can't get receipts, document the cost of replacement items. Maintain all those records, as it may be awhile before a settlement is reached. You may want to consider at least a consultation with an attorney. Since the bike is an '03 it will probably be totaled, but I'd be leery of riding a heavily damaged bike unless I could confirm 100% that the frame is not bent or damaged.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Check out the thread on what happened to me in 2017.

https://gl1800riders.com/forums/4-general-mc-message-board/346369-i-walked-away.html

For some strange reason still unknown to me, I did not include uninsured/under-insured motorist on my bike at the time. I used the collision coverage, paid my deductible and it took my insurance 2 months to settle with me. The lady that hit me was excluded from the insurance on the car she was driving, and the police did nothing. Fortunately, I was not injured so I had no medical bills. My bike was totalled and after going back and forth on the value of the bike, insurance finally gave me a price I was happy with. Some of the items they were trying to reimburse me for, like my foglights, I had just put on in the year that I owned the bike, but the insurance companies outside adjuster tried to adjust the cost of the lights to a 12 yr old bike. I called them on those and many other things and got almost full replacement value for them. Shop around for what a replacement bike will cost you to have it outfitted the same way and that will give you a rough starting point on a settlement. Add your medical and any other gear and that will add up. My insurance replaced my helmet even though it was only a year old. Their policy was "it's been in an accident so we replace it". That simple.

Good luck with getting this settled.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I hit a fellow rider last summer. Clearly my fault as I was distracted by a advertising sign for a moment and didn't see him stopping until it was too late. He went down at a very low speed. We did not notify the local police. He was able to ride home.
I called my insurance company, Progressive, when I got home. They called him and took care of everything. Fixed his bike at the dealer, new helmet, jacket, draggin jeans, and some PT time. Almost $8,000 total. I was a little surprised how easy it was. They took my word for it as my fault.
His insurance company should be taking care of you.

PS my rates have not going up. Yet.

Sent from my cellphone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
If an insurance adjuster told me to remove the accessories and reinstall them on my replacement bikes I would tell him to go pound sand. I would tell him to go get that estimate from a professional that charges $120 / hour. It’s funny how they get paid to tell you to work for free. Make sure you log all your time that’s accociated with your accident. You will get reimbursed for it. That’s part of inconvenience.

·
Registered
218 Posts
What do you call one thousand attorneys at the bottom of the sea? A Good Start.....Do whatever you feel is right. I have seen my share of accidents and the results of litigation and settlements. As long as you are not injured and you get your bike back to your satisfaction...life goes on. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Bottom line is the other guys insurance is there for him and not you. They will put their client first in all decisions. I tried on 2 occasions to file through the other guys insurance and neither time did it turn out the way I wanted. On one, they actually tried to turn the situation around and make it my fault. In both situations, I ended up telling the other insurance to go pound sand and filled claims on my own insurance. Yes I did end up having to pay the deductible but I got the repairs done properly, not with "approved" aftermarket parts like would have happened. I then let my insurance company battle it out with theirs. That is what the insurance companies do and have dedicated arbitrators and attorneys on staff. They are way more knowledgeable on the subject than I ever will be. In the end, after my insurance agreed that I was not at fault in either case, my deductible was refunded to me and my rates were never increased. That's what I have insurance for I the first place.

As far as getting the estimate, I would only consider a Honda shop to do it as they are the experts. They will know all the little parts that could need replacing and know where there may be hidden damage that a regular adjuster would miss.

Another tip, if it doesnt get totalled, you should look into a diminished value claim. Based on the accident, the bikes VIN will get placed in a data base that will flag it down the road as being involved in an accident. That will drop the resale value considerably. That is something you will have to pursue on your own as your insurance company wont help you on it. A good company that will provide you with a professional diminished value report is https://stlucieappraisal.net/

If the bike is totalled than this isnt needed but if the insurance decides to repair, then do some research on diminished value and consider having this company prepare the report for you. It is well worth it.

·
Registered
881 Posts
My 2006 was totaled in Sept.2017 . The biggest mistake I made was going through my ins. company ,Foremost Ins , instead of letting an attorney handle it. To make a long story short I was told the bike was worth $13,500 and they would total the it if the damage was over $10,000. Parts alone was over $13,000 . Notified Foremost of this and al of a sudden the bikes value drops to $6,500.

So my advice stay away from Foremost Ins. and get an attorney.

Reactions: Drair

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Lawyers?? Your insurance company should handle EVERYTHING! You will pay nothing including your deductible which will be paid by the other driver! Now you will see the difference between a good insurance company or a cheap one! Which one have you been paying into . . .

·
Registered
773 Posts
Do not rush.

Somewhat dependent on your state and insurance laws (no fault?).

Unless you have medical costs or both insurance companies jerk you around, there is no need for you to pay for an attorney.

I prefer dealing directly with his insurance company. If they jerk you around, call your state's Bureau of Insurance as they usually have someone who's only job is slap them into compliance.

Have your insurance company call and get the police report and send you a copy. You can call yourself but the PD might charge you and better to have an independent copy on file.

Tell his insurance company to get the police report. When they call they will say they need to confirm fault and haven't seen the report.

Both companies probably use independent appraisers, maybe even the same one.

Get estimate(s) from a Honda dealer. Many dealers charge for estimates unlike regular auto body shops. Call your dealer and ask then get approval from insurance company first.

Do your own estimate first of the parts you can see and then make sure the dealer includes time for checking the unseen like the frame. Work with the mechanic as he goes over the bike.

If totaled, do not accept "Blue Book" value. Search Craigslist and Cycle Trader and print ads of bikes in the same year and mileage range. Check dealer websites as well. Try to keep it local and of course only print the top 3 or 4 priced bikes. Make a list of all accessories, factory and aftermarket. You can counter offer their offer but need to have some back up documentation. Spring is here and you will not be able to buy a similar bike for so-called book value.

Have the estimate and advertisements in hand when the appraiser comes. Most of these guys are motorcyclists and you can talk to them but some are lazy buggers who barely get out of their car. Make him look at everything Honda lists.

Make them pay for a new helmet and other gear even if you don't see damage. Replacing this gear is necessary and don't let the appraiser talk you out of it.

Reactions: cycledude and Drair

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Just an advice here for everyone: When I triked out my bike, I sent my insurance Co. a total list of everything that I have paid to upgrade my two wheeled bike into three wheel(s) NOW my INS. Co. does indeed have a copy of what I have actually spent for the Upgrade..(NO QUESTIONS HERE) so now everytime I spend any money for new tires, or adding on any extra "safety chrome" the company now has a copy...Therefore there will be absolutely no questions on what was added to the bike to make it more valuable.............. "Just a thought here"

Ronnie

·
Registered
470 Posts
Everyone's story is going to be different (as you are already seeing here). And as one poster said, keep any info on your injuries and how you feel physically off the Internet - it can and will be used against you.

When a pickup truck pulled out in front of me in 2006 I went through my insurance because they understood bikes better. The adjuster looked up the price for a replacement bike (same trim level, same year) at various dealers and offered me the average of what he found plus the retail price of all my accessories. The total offer allowed me to buy a replacement that was 2 years newer with 90% of the accessories I wanted already installed. My insurance company handled getting the claim amount back from the drivers insurance company and gave me my deductible ($500) about 2 months after the accident.

For the personal injury side, I dealt directly with the drivers insurance company. After several consultations with a fellow rider who was an attorney I took the settlement for the full value of his policy. No attorney fees, no drama. Everything settled within about 3 months.

Reactions: Drair
1 - 20 of 74 Posts