GL1800Riders Forums banner

Rear ended

2K views 24 replies 22 participants last post by  Indianawantsme 
#1 ·
Yesterday morning sitting at an intersection waiting for traffic to clear so I could turn onto the highway, my '12 Goldwing GL1800 suddenly lurched forward. My initial thought was that my hand lost it's grip on the clutch. It wasn't that, the youngster behind me ran into me. I wasn't injured but I upset. I only purchased it 2 months ago. The young man claims he was hit from behind which pushed him into me. I did not look at the rear of his car for damage, I thought I'd leave that to the police. The bike took quite a bit of damage to the rear panels and right saddlebag. When the bike went over it broke the right side highway peg. It's an aftermarket item so the insurance will not cover it. I may replace it,, but until I can make up my mind what to do, I have removed them. Also,one of the brakes lights doesn't work due to a severed wire. The claims adjuster is supposed to call me today to set up an appointment to have a look and then get the ball rolling to get it in a repair shop. The dealer where I purchased it is 70 miles away but the bike is road worthy. Heck I drove it home after the police were done. I hoping there's a shop a little closer to home who will repair it for me. Roger

#7 ·
Good point ... if someone else is at fault, then they are responsible to make you Wing good again.

#6 · (Edited)
Who ever you chose to repair your Wing, will need to inspect the rear subframe for damage, as well as all rear plastic too. Since many dealers don't like working on GoldWings, you might want to find a shop that does, and one that also is willing to work closely with your insurance company. Many shops may over look minor stuff, such as broken tabs that can eventually can cause fitment problems, and even water leaks. For best repair, you should find a shop that specializes in 5th gens ... a specialty shop will spot problems that other shops will not notice.

Also, until your Wing is inspected, do not accept a check from the insurance company. They will want to write you one for the visible damage, which is a nice way of hopping that your claim will end.

#9 ·
As a side note ... because of all this texting, I've changed my riding skills to help avoid getting rear ended. Of coarse I do what we should ... be in 1st, have an escape route, and watch my mirrors when at a stop. What I am also doing now is to position my Wing so that one of my mirrors looks past the car behind me to see what the cars behind the one behind me is doing. Once I see enough "mass" back there, usually 3 or more, only then will I quit watching. Getting into the habit of changing my lane position for a better view from my mirror took a few weeks.

#18 ·
Very good advice Greg. I don't think most riders look past their forward controls which is why so many are injured or killed. Sometimes we do our best and still we are caught by someone not paying attention.
The same attentiveness we give to the traffic around us when on our bikes can save our cars from being banged up too.

Reactions: GoldWingrGreg
#11 ·
Sounds like the kid had insurance. That's not always the case these days.
Glad you were not hurt, but what a pain!!! If the Kid was truly rear ended, that is no excuse. He still hit you.
I hope you can get things worked out. It won't be a quick process. Not a good thing to have to deal with. Especially after just getting this new bike.

Corventure Dave

#13 ·
Limitations as to accessories should only apply to damage you cause, paid out under collision coverage. The young mans liability coverage is responsible for ALL damage caused by his carelessness. Period!

If they don’t like to take their responsibility, I think my neck might start hurting and my lawyer might need to get involved...

:thumbup:

#15 ·
First, I am glad you weren't hurt. I hope you can get everything settled with your insurance co.
This can be a frustrating time, I hope you get things done fast.

I had been rear ended on my GL1500 back in 2005......a completely different story.
$5,000 damage to the bike, I had whiplash for a year. The lady that hit me had no insurance, the car she was driving was just purchased at a used car dealer and it ended up going back because the financing didn't go through, and then they moved. I went through 2 Motorcycle attorneys and a private investigator with no luck in prosecution.

I of course did not have Uninsured Motorists coverage so I was left holding the bag for everything.
Ride safe.

#17 ·
Mr Flyboy-since you got hit from the rear, aren't you entitled to compensation? I always thought that was the case. Would you insurance company have pursued her had you opted for uninsured motorist coverage? What a bummer. Some folks would not have had the cash to repair the bike. Good thing you had an extra $5K to burn.:eek:4: How frustrating.

Well, there is a reason people have no insurance... they have no money, usually are up to their eyeballs in debt, may have a criminal record, etc. It will very likely be a folly to pursue them. And is why uninsured motorist coverage is a must. Anyone who "has no insurance" but does have some assets will try to quickly settle with you to avoid going to court and loosing more, you'll be hearing from their lawyer...... I think his name is Saul Goodman, from Albuquerque...

I don't think an insurance company is going to go after anyone over $5000, your whiplash not withstanding... it financially isn't worth it to them, and that's why they have YOU pay for uninsured motorist. :wink2:

#16 ·
Mr Flyboy-since you got hit from the rear, aren't you entitled to compensation? I always thought that was the case. Would you insurance company have pursued her had you opted for uninsured motorist coverage? What a bummer. Some folks would not have had the cash to repair the bike. Good thing you had an extra $5K to burn.:eek:4: How frustrating.

#20 ·
If the adjuster has zero clue on what they're looking at on a motorcycle, it's in your best interest to take a LOT of photos of the good side of the bike, for comparative purposes to the wrecked side of the bike.

In fact, you may want to seriously consider having someone knowledgeable at least on motorcycles to be there when the inspection happens.

This adjuster - from YOUR insurance company or the other guy?

It makes a HUGE difference, as their guy may or may not see everything.

Luck to ya!

Reactions: CAWing78 and Pooch
#21 ·
I suggest you look into the archives for "Rear Ended Today--Need some advice" Dang near the exact same thing happened to me, on a bike I'd just bought 4 months earlier and spent about 50 hours upgrading, doing maintenance to, etc. If you get the bike to your Honda dealer for a repair estimate, expect it to be totaled. That's right. I couldn't believe it in my case either but it was. I wouldn't take it to a non-Honda shop; you'll only jeopardize your repairs, none of which will be out of your pocket. I had no medical issues and never sued anybody, as it was the texting, ticketed driver's insurance company that paid for all property damage. Before you have the bike picked up to be taken to the dealership for a repair estimate, get all your 'good stuff' off of it b/c once totaled out you won't have access to it. I think you're again in the market for another GL1800...

Reactions: kwthom
#24 ·
Sorry for the delay getting back to you all. It's been stupid busy here at work as well as trying to deal with the insurance company. The bike is back at the dealer where I purchased it. The insurance company didn't require it but they strongly recommended that I take it back to them. The mechanic and adjuster are supposed to go over the bike together and see what they can come up with. I'm hoping to hear something from the insurance company soon. As soon as I hear something, I'll post on it on here. Roger

#25 ·
Sorry to hear about your accident. Been there also. Once by a car that totaled my 83 GL1100 and another biker rearended my '12.

The insurance wants to settle as fast as they can.
You can get "loss of use" while it is in the shop getting repaired. If it was totaled you could get more.

** They will say no and that they never heard of it, but insist on it and they will pay.**

They tried that the last time on me and i kept telling them they owe me since i couldn't ride while it was in the shop.

A trike shop that converts Wings is another good place for repairs.

I have to ask.
Was your '12 repainted? Original is Red and Gray.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.