GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang.

Here is an interesting light for any one that wants BRIGHT LED break light. I got a piece of Stainless steal and drilled some holes in it to match the License plate and the light assembly. This sucker flashes several times a second and will keep tail-gaters off you butt. I had one on my Vulcan and will install it on my Wing thesame time I install my head light modulator. I feel it is better (more dramatic) than the "WIG WAG" or "Back OFF"

http://www.lshlights.net/catalog/1__top ... 569141.htm

Van 8)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I use a pair similar to these LEDS. I can't begin to tell you the good comments I have had on these lights. Currently I have them where they flash alternately. I'm going to synch them so they flash at the same time. There are 3 or 4 different flash patterns to choose from. I made a wiring harness and ran it under the bottom cover of the trunk pannel and up the right side, under the trunk lid liner and plugged into the connecter in the trunk for the spoiler connection. Whenever I grabbed the front brake or step on the brake they light up.

Technically, in Texas, you can not have flashing lights while on or in a moving vehicle. This goes for headlight modulators as well. I have not been stopped by any officers so far, nor have I heard of any problems with headlight modulators. When I'm sitting at a light and someone is coming up behind me, I just grab the front brake for a few seconds just to make sure they see me.

When they are not in synch and flash alternately, we're talking only a second difference between the two units.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
bloodhound85 said:
Technically, in Texas, you can not have flashing lights while on or in a moving vehicle. This goes for headlight modulators as well.

Flashing lights are one thing, but, in case you want to run them, Head Light modulators are Legal in all 50 States. I believe they may be referring to FLASHING lights like police vehicles, etc.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Van,

When our first aid squad was building our new EMS Command vehicle last year, I had these exact same lights mounted to the running boards. These lights are very very bright during the day or night and the different flash patterns are great. I never thought of putting them on the back of the wing for extra brake lights. What would be the best way to wire them up??? Maybe the spoiler or just splice them into the rear brake lights somehow??? Very good idea, I like it!! Brian

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Here is an interesting light for any one that wants BRIGHT LED break light.

Personally, I think those BRAKE lights are a good idea.. :wink:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I have a my own business where I install emergency warning lights on police/fire vehicles. So its only natural I have a set on my Gold Wing, since I deal with these same lights every day. I have a set of the vertical ones (yes there is a difference) mounted on either side of my license plates and I use them as supplemental turn signals, since the ones on the 2006 Wing sucks. Friends that sit behind me on their bikes comment on how blinding the lights are. Definately get your attention.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Twodogs, how did you wire them up?

Dep

·
Registered
537 Posts
twodogs,

are you saying the the TIR3 lights come in a vertical version, i'm confused now, i've seen them mounted vertically on emergency vehicles but didn't know they made a vertical one. My idea was to mount them vertically to either side of the license plate using a small bracket. Is this what you're talking about? Also, if you don't mind, could you post a few pictures of the rear end of your bike so we can see how you mounted them up? Thanks, Brian

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Dep & Winginit,
I just wired the lights into the existing turn signal wires under the trunk. Very easy install.

Yes that light is sold in a horizontal and vertical version. The only difference is the optics in the lens, the light is the same. The way the optics are designed on the horizontal light, is to disperse the light is a horizontal plane, in other words it spreads the light left to right to give wide coverage on an emergency vehicle. The vertical one is designed to do the same, but with the light mounted vertical instead of horizontal. I know this all sounds rediculous, but the company that makes those lights, Whelen Engineering, knows what they are doing. If you were to take a horizontal light and mount it vertically, the light pattern would be spread in a line running up and down, which would really have little effect.

I will try and get some pictures of mine posted sometime today for you to see.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bloodhound85 said:
I use a pair similar to these LEDS.
Those are the lights!

Head light modulators are leagal is all 50 states

Thanks for your input!

Van

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
twodogs1800

twodogs. Hod did you get your name?

Van 8)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
A friend of mine gave me the nickname Twodogs. It comes from a joke. I just added the 1800 to the end of it, for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
537 Posts
thanks twodogs, I would be interested to see how they look on your wing if you get a chance to post the pics. Brian

·
Registered
36 Posts
The subject of flashing vs. modulating has been discussed before at great length.
Headlight modulators are legal because they don't flash but "modulate" which means they do not flash on and off but rather bright, dim, bright, dim.
If the light flashs are on, off, on, off, I believe you may have a problem 'cause that type of light is not legal in most states since that pattern is reserved for emergency vehicles.
Don't mean to be a wet blanket, just a little heads up. Still a great idea if wired properly. :D

·
Registered
560 Posts
You also may want to check out the Hyperlights brand LED light assys. They come in a turn signal version or a combo brake and turn. Super bright leds.

JJ

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
bloodhound85 said:
I use a pair similar to these LEDS.

I've finally installed my break light on the Goldwing.

To mount it on the Goldwing I used a Stainless Steal plate that was cut and polished to fit on any license plate mount of any bike in the U.S.
I suppose you could use aluminum or Plexiglas but I liked Stainless steal.

I tested the break light at night and stood about 25 feet behind my bike while my wife hit the breaks. WOW! I feel sorry for the tail gaiters that ride my ass at night.
Anyway, I got it mounted and am continually amazed at how Fricking bright this thing is and you have two of them on your bike. I guess you want to give everyone behind you a tan (heh heh heh).

Next thing to get is the head light modulator, Kuryakyn Stealth lights/mirror light

These three things will add a good buffer zone of attention around you and will help keep you safe.

Be alert! We need more lerts!
Later

Van
8)

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
twodogs1800 said:
Friends that sit behind me on their bikes comment on how blinding the lights are. Definately get your attention.
Heh Heh...

Yep. It sure does. Really annoys Harley riders too. Guess they think their busted.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
what are the dimensions? :?:

X?X?X?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
KYBLUE said:
what are the dimensions? :?:

X?X?X?

Thanks
Dementions of what? the mounting bracket? the Light?
light=3.5"W x 1.125"H x 1.25"D, backet depends on where you mount it.

Van

·
Registered
755 Posts
From the dimensions given the Whelan Tir3 (horizontal) should be an almost direct replacement for the rear reflector. May make a great additional brake light.....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts