GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing and hearing of so many getting rear ended I decided up light up my rear end more.. Yes of the bike....

I have a question about putting a LED light on the rear fender where the reflector is. I have read some of the threads where some mounted a TIR3 or similar light and removed the reflector on the rear fender. Behind the reflector is a hole where the wiring was passed through to the harness.

My question is the harness and where to connect the LED light exactly and how do you secure the loose wiring from the LED on the inside of the fender so it doesn't flop around under the fender. Does anyone have any good ideas for that problem if it is a problem? Do they just let the wires hang loose and flop under the fender until it reaches the harness where ever it is?

Which wire should i tap into (color) in the harness?? Will a brake light modulator (back off brand modulator) affect the LED operation. It is tapped in under the seat area.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
After seeing and hearing of so many getting rear ended I decided up light up my rear end more.. Yes of the bike....

I have a question about putting a LED light on the rear fender where the reflector is. I have read some of the threads where some mounted a TIR3 or similar light and removed the reflector on the rear fender. Behind the reflector is a hole where the wiring was passed through to the harness.

My question is the harness and where to connect the LED light exactly and how do you secure the loose wiring from the LED on the inside of the fender so it doesn't flop around under the fender. Does anyone have any good ideas for that problem if it is a problem? Do they just let the wires hang loose and flop under the fender until it reaches the harness where ever it is?

Which wire should i tap into (color) in the harness?? Will a brake light modulator (back off brand modulator) affect the LED operation. It is tapped in under the seat area.

Green and white for pos current to the light, and ground to ground. I suggest LINZ6 from Strobenmore.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I always hate cutting into or modifying the Honda wiring harness so here is a suggestion:
Purchase the "Plug and Play" wiring harness ($15) from Electrical Connections that is used to connect the spoiler LED to the brake circuit behind the rear fender. You will also need to purchase a Hitachi connector and pins (<$5) to attach to the TIR-3.
The whole installation will be plug and play and is easy to remove if needed.
Good luck,
J

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for the great info but one lingering point of question is the wires that pass through the hole in the rear fender. Do they just hang inside the fender or how are they attached under the fender??

·
Registered
238 Posts
led wiring...

I used the green/red wire for my power. Cut that wire and soldered the power lead from the TIR3 to it. I made the hole in the fender (there are actually two holes) a little bigger to allow my wire with heat shrink to pass through. I also made my wire from the factory wire to the light long enough that I could take the fender off with the light attached and set it to the side. I just tucked the longer wire up in with the factory wires as I'm putting the fender back on. Once on, you can lay down and look up under the fender to see if the wire is dangling. You could also wire tire it to the amp support if you feel it might come loose. Mine hasn't. You're gonna love the light.
good luck.

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
WOW, all I did was point to a set of LED lights I see for sale at the bikefest and the installer at the tent says come back in 1 hour....Mine have worked great ever since... :thumbup: :doorag: :p

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
You can secure the wire to one of those "stick-on" plastic pads that has slots to attach a ty-wrap. Put one or two of them on the backside of the fender and route the wires up to where the wires connect. You can get them at Radio Shack or any electronics store.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts