GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased the GL1800 Rear LED Reflector Conversion Kit from Wingstuff.com and have no idea how to install it.

My intent was to install the light (praying it'd be plug-n-play but isn't) and use it as both a running light and/or brake light. However, there are no installation instructions with it and I have no idea where to tap into.

Can anyone please help with this? I'm sure it's an easy install too. I'm assuming I would have to remove the rear fender cover where the license plate is, then route the wires, but then what?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I believe that this is the correct wiring diagram for the rear of the bike. The turn signals are on a different system but in the same area.

Check the rubber boot for the wiring colors and tap in there for your accessory light.

Let us know how it comes out for you.

Good luck

Daveo

·
Registered
501 Posts
It can be done

You can make that add on LED a runnig/brake light, but it requires on more $5 piece. it won't require that much more wiring because all the leads that you need are in that same area on the rear of the wing. Check Electricalconnections.com or Radiantz.com for a "dual element circuit".

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe that this is the correct wiring diagram for the rear of the bike. The turn signals are on a different system but in the same area.

Check the rubber boot for the wiring colors and tap in there for your accessory light.

Let us know how it comes out for you.

Good luck
Daveo
Thank you for the picture and post!! I installed the light last night. I used the lamp light for the plate, tied right into it. Now I have the red light illuminating all the time, which is really what I wanted to do. Now, the only thing left is to somehow convert the brake light on the rear spoiler to a running lamp. Any idea how to do that?

Thanks again all!

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Yes, there is a cheap way and an expensive way... Which way do you want to go?:lol:

ShowChrome makes a converting harness for about $15 that will do exactly what you are talking about, and Kisan makes a tailblazer that also does exactly what you are talking about but gives you the benefit of a flashing light upon first pressing the brakes which settles down into a steady light after about 5 seconds.

Here is the Kisan Tailblazer solution: You want the 25-LEDD version

The ShowChrome solution is:

ShowChrome # BB52734

I have the Kisan tailblazer and It really works well, the pulsing of the rear brake spoiler light has gotten motorists attention. It also converts your spoiler to running and brake functions.

Hope this was helpful

Daveo

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. The cheaper way would be better for now. I'll look more into the suggestions and if I go for it, I'll let you know what I did. Thanks again! Have a nice holiday weekend.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts