GL1800Riders Forums banner

Rear Luggage Racks

2K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  BigD 
#1 ·
I want to put a rear luggage rack on my 03 Wing, but Honda says the maximum weight that it can carry is a whole 2 pounds! This makes it effectively worthless in my opinion. Is this limitation for real?

G
#2 ·
Nomad-

From the number of cracked/broken trunk lids I've heard about on the forums, I'd say it's a definite concern....don't be looking for warranty service if you put the rack on (what's the rack alone weigh?)

That being said, I have a Big Bike rack on my '03, and I have (once) put a 15# rack bag on it for a two day ride, with no apparent ill effects.

There are precautions you can take to minimize the risk of damage....putting the 1/4" dia. plastic tubing in the gasket is a good idea, just to take the slop out of the fit (and eliminate the rattle). Mounting the rack with star washers (to distribute the weight over a wider area) also helps. I'm going to try the Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers, which help support the lid....sorry, can't remember the address for those.

Good luck, hope this helps some.

Ron
:blw1:

#3 ·
Nomad,

It is not only the weight of the object on the rack, but a combination of the weight and the shock/vibration that it gets.

I have a rack on my wing right now and wish that I did not. I would opt for a spoiler only. Nice clean look and another set of lights.

2lbs is what is set as the limit of my Hondaline rack. ( I hate it).

Bulldog

#4 ·
Bulldog said:
It is not only the weight of the object on the rack, but a combination of the weight and the shock/vibration that it gets.
Have to agree. Mine came with 4,700 miles a rack and spoiler.

Previous owner scratched the trunk lid with bungies and the weight on the rack rubbed on the top and bottom of the trunk together and now the bottom section has the paint rubbed through to bare fiberglass. Looks shitty.

I am getting some plugs made to fill the holes then the rack is going into the trash. Only use I have had for it is as a handle to open the trunk. It's a dumb idea IMHO.

#5 ·
hey Nomad

I had a hondaline rack on my IR 01 Wing and loved it.
It came in handy for the long trips to put a duffle bag
on it.
Be sure to put some clear contact paper on the paint where
your bag may rub. Had no problem and am putting another
on my 04 that I'm getting this week.
A 12Volt outlet is good to charge cell phone on
long trips.
If you don't do long trips, forget the rack.

#7 ·
I put a Kuryakyn Trunk Rack on my 03 goldwing and a kuryakyn trunk bag on that. I put lightweight things in in such as rainsuits, digital camera, The key here is lightweight things. I think the bag when filled probably weighed 15 to 20 pounds. I have not noticed any damage to the trunk lid, the trunk or the hinges in the year and 10,000 miles that i have on the bike. Oh, the bag has only been on there about 2500 miles, but the trunk rack as been on there about 9500 miles.

I think Hondas main issue is that it does not want you putting lots of weight high up on the bike.

Keith

#8 ·
Trunk Racks

Ditto to the other posts. I have seen an awful lot of cracked trunk lids caused by racks. All someone has to do is walk over to your bike a few times and lean on the rack. One day it will give.

Dick

#9 ·
Re: Trunk Racks

BigD said:
Ditto to the other posts. I work part time at the local honda dealer and we see an awful lot of cracked trunk lids caused by racks. All someone has to do is walk over to your bike a few times and lean on the rack. One day it will give.

Dick
oh oh...I'd better watch what I say on here now. Big D might be working at the dealer where I bought my bike. :lol:

#10 ·
Phil...

Dont worry I won't tell. Why are you the only guy on this site that wears a suite and tie? I know Wing riders like to stand out but don't you think you could tone it down a bit :luf1:

#11 ·
We had a rack on our 03, & overloaded it several times. I think it's called, (more luck than sense). I know there were those three day weekends where we had up to ten pounds on the rack. :roll: Our 04 ISN'T going to have one.

#13 ·
Here are another few things to think about as far as racks go. Think about some of the other accessories on your bike. For the most part they are bolted thru to a solid part of the frame or other supporting structure. If you were to look at the drilled hole under a microscope, depending on how sharp the drill was and the force that was exerted, you might find a small stress crack which will be the beginning of a problem. The two pound limit on the Hondaline rack has a twofold purpose. First and formost is the cracking problem and via that spec they absolve themselves of any handling problem from overloading. Most of the cracking problems are on the older wings where the trunk in mostly flat and shouldered screws were not used. The newer trunk due to its arching design is much stronger and has thicker material. This trunk would "most likely" support a rack. I would opt for a rear spoiler. It looks better and gives you some extra visibility and because of where and how it mounts on the trunk will not be a problem. It's time for me to get off my soapbox and back on my bike :a13:

#14 ·
I have the rack on my '02. I never knew
folks were having problems. I instantly
liked the fact that the rack worked as a handle
to close my trunk. Used it with more than 10lbs
a couple times prior to buying a Bustec.

Where are these cracks? Maybe people
overtightened the racks, they are on hollow space.
My only complaint is even garaged, mine is rusting
at the welds.

#15 ·
Herb..

The cracking is in the trunk itself and starts where the hole was drilled. As I said in my post the newer GL's should not have a problem.

Dick

#16 ·
luggage racks

I have installed a luggage rack on my 2001 and was concerned about the weight restriction. To offset the potential of cracking I installed 1.5 inch stainless washers on the underside of the trunk lid using epoxy to hold in place after drilling the attachment holes. This with the star washers used on the trunk surface creates a large surface area under each bolt to distribute the weight of the rack and cargo. Have traveled 25000 miles without any cracks having on many ocassions carried twenty pounds or more.[/img]

#19 ·
I have the Kury rack and bag. It worked well for me on 1 long trip and have not used it since. It is a pain in the butt to clean around and it scratched easily.
Hindsight being what it is, I think the best idea would be a trailer hitch and a platform that would go into the receiver capable of holding a cooler or a small bag similar to the size on the luggage rack.

If you absoulutly have to have a luggage rack I would not get the Kury, but instead go for a model that is made of tubing. Much easier to clean around.

Good Luck

#20 ·
Luggage Rack

I have installed a luggage rack and have about 5000 miles with it loaded while touring without a problem. I do my best to load it with only lightweight but bulky items, like our tennis shoes, the wife's travel hair dryer, her makeup kit, my shaving kit, etc. I purchased the rack here: http://www.wingthings-texas.com/gl1800. ... age%20Rack and installed it with the star washer kit here: http://www.wingthings-texas.com/starwasherset1800.htm I only use a T-bag on the rack which works very well, Hal sells it here: http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/store ... D=29973046 but you can get the bag much cheaper directly from T-bag. This rack has a much larger foot print than the Hondaline and puts the supports out closer to the curved edges of the trunk where the lid is stiffer. Here's a picture of my wife next to the bike while on a trip. I also went to my local home improvement store and bought a set of the thick plastic stick on bumpers that you put behind cabinet doors. I put one bumper on each of the little tabs on the side of the trunk lid and three across the back. I get no wearing between the lid and the trunk. I check them regularly and replace them when needed. Hope this helps :) .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.