GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just traded a Harley for a wing. Any ideas on rear preload settings, I am 6'3 280#. Need suggestions on where to start.

·
Registered
172 Posts
People run all the way from 0 to 25. At your height/weight on a new wing I'd try 18 to 22. I weigh 165 and run mine at 20, but it has 52k on it and is getting weaker.

:rat:

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
There's something like an inch difference in ride height from top to bottom, Lumpy. I haven't noticed any real difference in the quality of the ride.

I keep it all the way up for the twisties, both for the cornering clearance and for the slightly more aggressive geometry. Then I crank it back to about 5 or 10 for cruising the interstates, because it gives me a slightly more relaxed geometry, and because I sit lower, and the air goes over me better.

Loaded for touring, and riding with Lazygirl (she usually rides her own bike) I keep it at 20 on smooth freeway, all the way up if there are bumpy roads.

I put it all the way up when I'm going to put the bike on the center stand or the lift. I'll even change the setting to get an ideal lean on my side stand.

It changes in seconds, so have fun with your own settings.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Suspension settings

From Wing World...

The proper way to find the correct suspension settings for various loads is to place the bike on the center-stand and measure the distance from the center of the rear wheel to a point directly above it on the frame. Then take the bike off of the stand, sit on it, and have someone measure the distance between those same two points. Increase or decrease the suspension setting until the distance is 1" to 1.25" less than it was on the stand. Record the number shown on the display - this is for one-up riding. Do the same measurement with 2 people on the bike and adjust the setting again until the distance is the same as one person on the bike. Record this number for 2-up riding. Now load the bike to maximum capacity with luggage, 2-up, trailer attached etc. and do the same procedure.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Dang Lumpy . . .

I sold my FLHTCI in September and got an '04 Titanium GL1800 a couple of weeks ago. Suspension wise, I weigh 180 and run 6lbs solo, 12 lbs two up.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Split the difference

I just started at 12 and adjusted from there using trial and error.

I tend to run at 7 single and 14 when the wife and I are out together.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Use the WW method posted above, it works. Once you get it adjusted properly you won't drag too much in the corners like some do at the low settings.

Just a Side Note; the Pre-Load Adjuster should have 1 1/4" of available travel from 0 to 25. That is aprox 1/2" for each 10 units. If you don't have that much adjustablility the Hydraulic Adjustor doesn't have or never had enough fluid in it. Mine was about 1/2" shy of full travel and didn't do anything 'till about 10 on the meter. Honda should cover it if you don't have the normal travel but it will take some arm twisting because the unit is over $1,000 and requires District or higher approval.

Jerry

·
Registered
78 Posts
Preload Settings

With your weight and ridding one up I would Start at 5 and I bet no more than 8. Don't you just love all the different opinions on this board covering the same subject.
Art Vomberg

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
rear shock settings.... :)

I'm 6 ft 3 and about 245lbs, so i'm not a little guy either. On a brand new bike, i would suggest a setting of at least 15 for a 280 pounder, if riding double i would go to 20, as the miles progress you will notice the suspension gets noticably softer around 20k. I went to progressive suspension fork springs and rear spring on my 1800, i have not dragged a foot peg or anything else since. JD 8)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Suspension settin

I've tried several settings. I'm about 175 lbs & need all th cornerin clearance i can git. I leave it on 25 all th time in town. On th super slab i usually set it at 2 so as ta tip th rear down for better air flow over my head. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
279 Posts
You'll soon find that the GL1800 ride is not a smooth as the Harley when hitting bumps in the road. The Gold Wing is quite stiff and the rider feels every hitch in the highway. However, the stiff Goldwing suspension is what makes it handle like a crotch rocket in the curves. You can really ride the Gold Wing aggressively and not worry about the rear end getting loose. It's sort of a trade off. But I'll take the Gold Wing ride and the acceleration hands down over the Harley.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Seems the WW article Tom mentioned said that the advantage of this method was it allowed the drive shaft to be straightest - so the universal didn't work as much.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
MOPMan said:
Seems the WW article Tom mentioned said that the advantage of this method was it allowed the drive shaft to be straightest - so the universal didn't work as much.
I guess I'd rather idealize the height for the precise type of riding I'm doing at the moment, since it's so easy just to push the button.

I'm not too worried about the U joint. I've got 5 years left on the warranty. :D

·
Registered
200 Posts
Preload Settings

I am relatively new to the world of the Goldwing. I appreciate the tips on setting the suspension preload. From reading the owners manual it appears that the preload setting is supposed to be made with the bike up on the center stand. Is this correct?

2003 Goldwing ABS Candy Red
Don Carden
Newton, KS

·
Registered
213 Posts
Re: Preload Settings

dcarden4 said:
I am relatively new to the world of the Goldwing. I appreciate the tips on setting the suspension preload. From reading the owners manual it appears that the preload setting is supposed to be made with the bike up on the center stand. Is this correct?
Yep, on the center-stand while adjusting the suspension. Also, you should not be sitting on the bike while doing this as the extra weight is hard on the positioner.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I don't worry about having it on the center stand to adjust the suspension.
I have it running, in neutral, and hit the button. On the side stand or even at a stop light if I need to change it.

:rat:
:yw1:

To get in on the rewarding career of nauga ranching call me now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts