GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace the rear red LEDs on my 2015 GL1800. Ive already done the breaklights and purchased LEDs 7443 from Amazon (alla Lighting).

The issue is that the LEDs are too long, I cannot fit the bulb housing back in because the LEDs bump up against the plastic lens inside.

I have been looking on Amazon for different ones, but most of them dont tell you the measurements or if they do, I cant tell whether its the entire bulb length from end to end.

In addition, I gave up on replacing the turn signal LEDs in the rear for now becuase the bulbs I bought (same company, Alla Lighting) do not stick into the housing tightly.. they're loose and would fall out.. not to mention that the rapid flash thing is beyond my technical ability right now.

So my question, does anyone have any recommendations for RED LEDs for the rear that will fit (and not fall out) and same for the amber turn signal lights.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I used these for my '05. Work great. Match incandescents perfectly for brightness.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-7443-74...193560&hash=item35cb95c269:g:0VIAAMXQtRxSKlz7

I tried these one first. Didnt like them.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-7443-74...234901?hash=item35dd9bb155:g:ANEAAOSwRLZULvgQ

The first set (2nd link) were all high power samsung 5630 around the side and in the top. Not so much. The second set(1st link) have 5630 around the side and CREE emitter in the top. These are still in the bike.

You can read the long and boring with screenshots here. Post 1-17 are the original set. Post 18 is where I got the second set with the CREE emitters.
https://gl1800riders.com/forums/5-gl1800-tech-board/242779-ebay-led-bulbs-12-99-a.html

Back then and probably still many like the SoCalMotoGear ones. They work and are brighter than incandescents. But also $200 bucks. These can be had for $40 for all the rear and match incandescents for output. You can see my screenshots. -- Also for the rear I am not convinced brighter is better. While brighter is the change in brightness from tail light mode to brake light mode any better? To me its about attention getting when you put the brakes on. Save the money on the cost of the LED bulbs and get yourself a wig wag.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
If you go to Superbrightleds.com and use their vehicle selector it will give you a few options, they also have a view all specs tab and in there you can select view dimensional drawings, you should be able to find one that will physically fit in the lens. I bought some from them back in 2015, the number I bought was 7443-R3W-G: red, but what they show now on the web site is different from what I bought, who knows?
Mine did just fit in the lens.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I ordered the ones you referenced for your 05. We'll see.

I didnt read through all the other thread yet, but for my brake lights I installed flashing LEDs. They're nice and bright and flash 2 or 3 times when you first hit the brakes..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, those spec drawings are very helpful. I found their selection of front Low/High beam LEDs to be very sparse though. One choice and it's a 2000 lumens bulb. Kind of weird that thats their one choice. Anyway, I have my front lights coming from HeadlightExperts.com

·
Registered
406 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts