GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got done changing the rear rotor and breaks. wow so easy, dealer wanted over $350 for parts and labor. wow what a rape . just glade i have a little wrenching know how.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
I've heard the rotors are very expensive. What was wrong with yours?

prs

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i payed 200 for mine off the INTERNET. waited to long to changed breaks cut a grove in it. not a deep one but , i had already bought the rotor so i just changed it.

·
Registered
574 Posts
flper67 said:
i just got done changing the rear rotor and breaks. wow so easy, dealer wanted over $350 for parts and labor. wow what a rape . just glade i have a little wrenching know how.
I bought a rotor for $55 to my door. It only had a couple miles miles on it; looks like new. I think it came off a trike conversion.

I need to get after that job and change it and the pads soon! :roll:

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
I bought a rotor, rear brake caliper, rear swing arm with rear drive, drive shalf, steering stem, complete rear shock unit, rear muffers,and quite a few body parts, all brand new and they would have cost near 2K to buy from Honda, but I paid around 200 dollars. I fiqured I might need the rear brake caliper or brake rotor or maybe the rear drive one day. I plan on wearing out my 1800 and that ain't going to happen within the extended warrany period...but then again this Wing may never wear out, but I'm ready :) I love those trike dealers, parts are cheap and plentiful for the Gold Wing.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
flper67 said:
Didn't have any trouble with the phillips head screws? I found them pretty soft and easy to bugger.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
had 22k one the breaks. yes those Phillipp's screws were a pain. my neighbor had a screw driver ratchet that got it just fine.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Great White Wing said:
flper67 said:
had 22k one the breaks. yes those Phillipp's screws were a pain. my neighbor had a screw driver ratchet that got it just fine.
I won't go into what I had to go through. Wasn't fun.
Impact driver!

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Art H. said:
[quote="Great White Wing":1mior2q4]
flper67 said:
I won't go into what I had to go through. Wasn't fun.
Impact driver![/quote:1mior2q4]

Couldn't get one in the space available and have any hammer swinging room. I buggered the heads and had to remove the final drive to drill out the heads of the screws.

I learned one thing though. Same screws as used on automobiles.

·
Banned
1,477 Posts
To remove the two phillips head screws that hold the rotor to the differential housing you need to apply heat to the surrounding aluminum on the disc.
If you do not apply the heat, you will run into all of the problems noted in the previous comments.
The heating of the immeadiate area around the screw heads will cause the loctite to become unglued and release. Then the screws will no longer be held in place by it. The screws will then come out without much problem at all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts