GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my bike in the shop now getting a full monty Traxxion system. Owner of the shop just called and said that he is having a major problem getting the shock bolt (said it is the one that attaches to the swing arm) out. This guy has used heat, lubricants etc. and has a two foot long breaker bar and he weighs 400+ with no luck. He said that they are notoriously tight but ????? He has ordered a new bolt from Honda overnight and that it has an allen head on it. He also said that he has another swing arm with about 700 miles on it in case he has to replace the entire unit. He was just getting ready to start hammering it through and try this.
Has anyone every heard of a bolt being this tight? :shock:
It is a 2007 with 12K.

B

·
0 Posts
Wow! That is one tight sob!! Keep us updated on the resolve. I've never found a bolt that some good penetrating oil and heat couldn't get loose assuming you can get a wrench on it. At least it's in good hands. Good luck.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I has a jam nut style nut on both uper and lower nuts , both of mine came off very easy. Getting to bolt out of the link/shock clevis requires the bike to be on the center stand and slightly lifting the rear tire . If I recall correctly its only like a 12mm bolt and in that case it should only have 40~50 foot lbs of TQ max! Only the shock lower bolt has to come out and the shock upper bolt , if your preload adjuster isnt getting serviced or the traxxion hose there is not need to remove any thing other the gas tank. the line to the preload piston can be swaped to the new shock without removing the motor very easy . I would not buy the story your being given. 1/2" impact gun , short swivel , 17mm short socket and a box end wrench on the nut side is all that should be needed (that all I used)

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shock Bolt

I am supposed to talk with him in an hour or so but I have been looking at my service manual and am unsure as to what bolt he is talking about. I will let you know what comes up with this.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I did my rear shock myself and I am small and weak. I wonder, if on the newer models they used some super strong locktite on that bolt. A big guy, with a breaker bar could easily do 150 - 175 ft. lbs.(or more) on that bolt. STRANGE!!

·
Banned
1,477 Posts
The torque specification for that bolt is 47 ft/lbs.
I was just involved in R/R a few of these over this past weekend. Each and everyone did not involve anything more than a rachet and socket to hold the bolt and a 1/2" drive rachet and socket to remove the nut.
With the top bolt having been removed there is only the weight of the shock on the bolt and it does not hinder the removal of the bolt in any way. Then you can grab hold of the head portion of the bolt with a set of pliers and pull it completely out.
*** Make sure that the shock preload is set to "0" ***

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rear Shock

Just talked to the shop and they finally were able to remove it. They had to remove the swingarm and used a air hammer and a punch to get it out. He said it looked like it had never been lubricated. He cleaned it up and checked it out for stretch, cracks etc. Said he had never seen one so tight before. This guy has done over 30 of these for Traxxion and said most are a little tight but nothing like this. I looked at the service manual and it is hard for me to see the why but I trust him.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rear Shock

Don't mind at all...I will let you know when I pick it up. Some mistakes were made and I am not sure as to where the problem was - from actually getting the parts to him and him not ensuring that the proper stuff had arrived. I just want my bike back and then I will ask some more questions. Right now my bike is a couple of hundred miles away and taken apart. I leave Friday on a four day trip to Big Bend and I am sweating.

H

·
0 Posts
Of course most of us on the board suspect the mechanic of suspect procedure. The fact that he has done 30 and then you later comment saying mistakes were made, makes me wonder. I've done 1, yes 1, and this is really not a complicated procedure. I, for one, would not believe everything this guy is telling you. Hope he's not a friend, and I hope I haven't insulted anyone. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rear Shock

Ok, I am now home with my bike. When I said that there were mistakes made...it wasn't only with the mechanic but with getting the parts there. He said...She said. The bolt itself was the worst one he had ever worked on. He had another bike there that he was tearing down and I watched him start on it. It was tight but came right out. No visible reason for mine but he said it went back in after cleaning and polishing.
Anyway...I am now a full Monty Traxxion system and all I can say is wow!. It just feels tighter and more responsive...yeah I know it is all in my head but I am happy. Oh, he actually took a little off the bill for the delay's.

RaceWorx in Alvarado TX. Good guy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts