GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there ever run into a rear shock that no longer raises the suspension. The pump runs and the numbers change but the shock does not respond. The pump changes pitch at 25 on the panel. Pump, shock, or both??? 02 gl1800 Worked when when we bought it a 6 months ago.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
If the pump changes pitch at 25 the fluid is gone. Pump should change pitch at 0.

Fred H. had a good video on this, and there are others available on YouTube.

Mine was starting at 10-11 and I refilled it this spring - now starts at 0.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
There's the potential for several things going wrong for you. One, as tamathumper said, the fluid is low or gone. That being said, it could be a blown shock, a broken fluid line from the pump to the shock, or a bad pump. If you're going to get in there to fix it, I'd suggest getting a newer shock and pump assembly (I think there's actually one for sale in the classifieds, if not you can find one on ebay, or from a trike shop), and replace the plastic line with a braided stainless one. Follow Fred's procedure for servicing and bleeding that system, you should be good for many miles down the road. Good luck and ride safe.

·
Registered
519 Posts
There's the potential for several things going wrong for you. One, as tamathumper said, the fluid is low or gone. That being said, it could be a blown shock, a broken fluid line from the pump to the shock, or a bad pump. If you're going to get in there to fix it, I'd suggest getting a newer shock and pump assembly (I think there's actually one for sale in the classifieds, if not you can find one on ebay, or from a trike shop), and replace the plastic line with a braided stainless one. Follow Fred's procedure for servicing and bleeding that system, you should be good for many miles down the road. Good luck and ride safe.
Great advice! Only thing I would add is replace the spring while you're in there with a 2012 and up take off or a new Progressive HD.:wink2:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts