GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2008 with 20k miles but the rear shock really is not holding up on bumps in the road (our NE bad roads). My passenger feels it even more pronounced. I tried different settings from 0 to 25 but difference is too small.
Can anyone recommend a solution?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Did you service the reservoir?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Unfortunately, your passenger is sitting right over the top of the rear shock and is going to feel every bump and pothole, especially here in NJ given the state of the roads. My wife has the same issue on our '08 even after a shock reservoir service to bring it up to full travel and replacing the rear shock spring with a Progressive. Servicing the reservoir is a good start but I'm suspecting it wont completely solve the problem. I can't tell you whether the '18 is better or worse as she hasn't been on the back yet.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
The payload for Wing of this generation is 390-400 lbs. Two corn-fed Americans with luggage are often 50-100 lbs over gross allowable weight. The preload has to work correctly and have full travel to keep the rear shock off the bump-stop and passing every thump into the seat.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Get a new Progressive spring on that rear shock and clean, flush, bleed, and reinstall the preload pump. Make sure your preload is set at zero before you start. When you're all done you'll have adjustment 0 through 25 and no bottoming out problem.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Get a new Progressive spring on that rear shock and clean, flush, bleed, and reinstall the preload pump. Make sure your preload is set at zero before you start. When you're all done you'll have adjustment 0 through 25 and no bottoming out problem.
Trewm from above has done that and claiming that not much changed....
May help a bit but dono if that gonna solve it.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Trewm from above has done that and claiming that not much changed....
May help a bit but dono if that gonna solve it.
Don't know what to tell you. I did this on my 03, and the difference was night and day, like riding a completely new bike. The new spring provided another benefit, having removed the sag from the rear, placing it the center stand is now a piece of cake. Good luck and ride safe.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
I don't remember the exact amount, I did the front springs at the same time. Total including the front springs, rear spring, and new stainless hose for the preload system was around $260. Far less than the cost of a new bike. Hope that helps.

Reactions: BlkWing1

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
I should also stress that just servicing the preload system doesn't always do the job. Getting that old rubber hose for the preload out of there and replacing it with a braided stainless version is the real key to success.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Budget fix, Progressive Spring on a new trike conversion takeoff shock. Top up the shock preload pump.
Should run you about $200-300.
Takes me 4-5 hrs to change it on my 3rd time. 8 hrs the first time. I recommend a new shock because if you are spending that much labor why reuse a half worn shock?

Fred's videos show step by step.

Nice upgrade is a Traxxion Dynamics shock and spring tuned to your weight and riding style. $800 plus labor.

Sent from my cellphone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
791 Posts
Darkside?

Be gentle, it's Sunday.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts