GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a new shock off a 2013 for my 04. Also have a progressive suspension spring, will this fit a 2013 shock? Also is there a way to confirm its a progressive spring(I bought it off someone online a while back and just realized I wouldn't know if it was or wasn't). It has a sticker on on it but easy enough to change I guess.

Also anyone have instructions on pulling the spring(I have one of thos special tools.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Just got a new shock off a 2013 for my 04. Also have a progressive suspension spring, will this fit a 2013 shock? Also is there a way to confirm its a progressive spring(I bought it off someone online a while back and just realized I wouldn't know if it was or wasn't). It has a sticker on on it but easy enough to change I guess.

Also anyone have instructions on pulling the spring(I have one of thos special tools.
the sticker is all ..im sure it is ..

·
Registered
324 Posts

Yes a progressive sprng will fit a 2013 shock.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Couple of questions:

Been looking into the 'not removing top shelter cover ' method:

1) any pics available? I have seen the total removal method on Fred's website.
2) What is involved in loosenining th eright saddlebag
3) One of the instructions said that you need to be able to have the rear wheel drop 3-4 inches to get the shock out from the bottom. Would removing the rear wheel allow you to get the clearance needed.
4) Figure this will take most of a day.

How hard is it to remove the linkage at the bottom(I got all the linkage pieces from the 2013 and figured it might be worthwhile to replace it all.

·
Registered
555 Posts
To loosen the saddlebag remove 3 bolts inside the bag and 1 under the edge of the seat. If you want to remove it you have yo remove the rear centre piece holding your plate.

I found it easier leaving the wheel on. It has to be maneuvered up and down to reconnect the lower bolts on the shock and assembly. I used a crow bar and wood block to adjust the height of the wheel with one hand and insert the bolt with the other. Put the bike in gear before lifting the rear wheel so it doesn't turn.

I tried the into the 'not removing top shelter cover method and ended up shorting a wire. Remove the shelter and seat if you have never done this before. It is a lot easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Step 1 is done , changed the spring to the progressive one. Real easy with the spring compressor tool. Now to plan for changing the shock. I think I will try the way without removing the top shelter. Can you still get at the ground bolt(the one that gives problems) without removing the tank?

·
Registered
476 Posts
rear shock

Removed mine today without removing top shelter. Removed rear tire plate, loosened rt saddle bag and removed nuts on cross over piece (over tank) as well as the connecting shelter nuts. Used a pry screw driver to gently lift tank to get to top bolt of shock. Had my bike lift on front and car jack on rear under trailer hitch. Finally put 2x4 under center stand and lowered for more stable sitting. That was enough space to drop the shock out and put back in. I replaced my old '08 shock and actuator with a 2013 plus Progressive spring. Took 3.5 hrs from start to finished.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts